• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Snow and Pizza Run Sat. Feb. 5th 2022

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Hello all! First post, recent joiner, and recent transplant from Melbourne, FL to Westminster, CO. There's an off chance I'll be on work travel the week of this ride, but I'm hoping I can make it!

I had some questions that have kinda been answered, but just wanted to make sure I was clear on it.

I drive a 100 series with some upgrades, and I have all the 'required' gear as mentioned in the opening post (such as a tow strap, F + R recover points, 12k winch, tree trunk protector, small shovel) with the exception of the radio. I have a GMRS micromobile that I've installed but I have neither a HAM nor a CB. Am I okay with the GMRS, or should I get myself a cheapish handheld CB?

I have pretty extensive 4WD experience but not much in snow. Not zero, but not a lot.

Thanks in advance!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I drive a 100 series with some upgrades, and I have all the 'required' gear as mentioned in the opening post (such as a tow strap, F + R recover points, 12k winch, tree trunk protector, small shovel) with the exception of the radio. I have a GMRS micromobile that I've installed but I have neither a HAM nor a CB. Am I okay with the GMRS, or should I get myself a cheapish handheld CB?
It seems that most are shifting to gmrs for trail chatter in more and more events but I will let @JadeRunner give the final say on that.
Also note that there will be an intro to snow wheeling that @nakman has put together after the main group takes off if that is something your interested in. Tim has a wealth of knowledge and it would be a great opportunity to soak up some of that experience from him. You can read the details of the event at https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/intro-to-snow-wheeling-february-5th.32063/
It should be a great intro and you will probably end up catching up with the main group as sections ge bottlenecked. Drivers choice. I may end up having the head boss lady of the relationship stick around to get some tips if she decides to come.

Last edited:

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
It seems that most are shifting to gmrs for trail chatter in more and more events but I will let @JadeRunner give the final say on that.
Also note that there will be an intro to snow wheeling that @nakman has put together after the main group takes off if that is something your interested in. Tim has a wealth of knowledge and it would be a great opportunity to soak up some of that experience from him. You can read the details of the event at https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/intro-to-snow-wheeling-february-5th.32063/
It should be a great intro and you will probably end up catching up with the main group as sections ge bottlenecked. Drivers choice. I may end up having the head boss lady of the relationship stick around to get some tips if she decides to come.

I saw that post as well, figured that would be a good place to start! Unfortunately my wife hasn't out here yet, so won't be able to benefit from the tutorial, but it should help me out. Appreciate it!

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
GMRS seems to be replacing the CB so that will work. I will have all 3 radios.

Pizza will take place courteous of the club as in previous years around 5pm at Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs.

Awesome, that sounds great! Looking forward to meeting y'all.

60ranchero

Rock Stacker
Date: Sat. Feb, 5th 2021
Meeting Time: 8:30-9:00 am - Leave at 9:30

Meeting Place: Cemetery area half mile above (west) of Central City. Go due west out of Central City up the hill about a one mile. At the top of the hill
west of Central City at the multi fork in the road. Continue on the middle road west 1/2 mile and look for the new Yankee Hill trailhead on the right. Vehicles with trailers can park there.
39°48'43.9"N 105°32'26.1"W (39.812190, -105.540586)

FRS Channel 22- Ham - 146430 - The club is dropping CB as a communication method. I will have my CB on Channel 4 for the last time. Hopefully it won't be needed.

We will air down and/or chain up (if your using chains) at the meeting place.

We will meet for pizza after the run around 5pm at Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs.

Difficulty - this run is open to everyone. The only requirement is to have hard points front and rear for strapping purposes and of course a strap ready to go. A shovel and additional recovery gear is highly recommended. As was mentions have a good radio is key on this run for many reasons.

Hopefully we will have snow up there by then and it won't be too icy. I'm open to changing the venue if needed. But, Yankee Hill is best with a large group in the winter.

Be prepared to stay warm and dry with winter clothing and boots.
I am interested! This will be my first event. My FJ40 project is still in pieces so I plan to bring my daily driver first-gen Tundra. Is the trail doable in a Tundra? Have not wheeled the Tundra much due to the size. I read and meet most of the requirements (F&R tow points, tow strap, shovel, no chains) with the exception of the radio. Please clarify if everyone needs a radio and if so, what type of radio is needed and a good source to purchase? Thanks!!!

PhillyB77

Would like to attend, would this run give me credit for meetings and such?

I've got a compressor for airing back up, but the 4 Runner still doesn't have much in the way of self recovery stuff. I've got straps and a bubba rope, shovel but no chains. Pretty sure the rig could do it but someone let me know if it's sketch.

Idaho Springs is nice, buddy lives in Blackhawk and I'm over there quite a bit. I *think* I've tooled around on many of these trails in the summer on my adventure bike bike but won't know until I see it.

PhillyB77

I am interested! This will be my first event. My FJ40 project is still in pieces so I plan to bring my daily driver first-gen Tundra. Is the trail doable in a Tundra? Have not wheeled the Tundra much due to the size. I read and meet most of the requirements (F&R tow points, tow strap, shovel, no chains) with the exception of the radio. Please clarify if everyone needs a radio and if so, what type of radio is needed and a good source to purchase? Thanks!!!

I did Red Cone in my Tundra. It was a slow go but made it no problem, the lift and 35's might have helped....maybe. There were some decent rock obstacles but I got past them with no issues, definitely had to air down. Not sure about this trail however.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Yes any Toyota 4x4 can go on this run. 3 things will determine how far you can go: (1) Tires (bigger is better, aggresive tread is better), (2) The trail conditions, and (3) Most importantly is the nut behind the wheel.

Radios are not required for regular club runs, only required for Cruise Moab. They do help a lot so you can hear what's going on.

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Work travel is the following Monday, so I'll be there. Thanks for the update on GMRS/FRS and to the folks that had the discussion over at https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/frs-gmrs-channels-for-cruise-moab.32121/ thread, helped me figure out the overlap between GMRS and FRS.

Also, I have a friend in a stock 3rd gen Tacoma shortbed with rock rails, recovery points, and that's it. Anyone got thoughts on whether he'd be okay on this trail?

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Work travel is the following Monday, so I'll be there. Thanks for the update on GMRS/FRS and to the folks that had the discussion over at https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/frs-gmrs-channels-for-cruise-moab.32121/ thread, helped me figure out the overlap between GMRS and FRS.

Also, I have a friend in a stock 3rd gen Tacoma shortbed with rock rails, recovery points, and that's it. Anyone got thoughts on whether he'd be okay on this trail?
Your buddy will be fine. Sounds like he has everything that is really needed.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Really want to come but the 80 sprung a pretty bad leak from the front diff and the mini truck is not setup for a rear recover without a bumper..... We will see what happens this week.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
As Zepp and the other veterans have said. You guys with stock Toyotas and no radios will be fine. People will have frs radios to loan out. Hulk tells me FRU channel 22 is good - so that's what will run with for that. The cool thing about this run is that everyone's invited and it's a free for all for everyone with all kinds of rigs. Some will make way up ahead and forge the way. Some will hang in the back and find their own challenges.

It's super cool that Nakman is leading the rear of the group with his "Intro to snow wheeling" training. That will turn the rear of the group into it's on run of sorts. Jackson, Tim and several other old school guys have stayed back and done that in the past and I really appreciated it. We get so split up that the front of the group may never see the rear part. Heck I may never see the warriors up front on 37's plus topping off Yankee hill and blasting down the other side.

Looks like we may finally get some fresh snow. So that will be nice for a change. That should give us extra grip on the icy parts. I've been x-country skiing quite a bit this winter and that first few feet of snow that came down quick and early in the year will us some challenge. It's got a crust and is sugary now.

It's going to fun!

PhillyB77

No, this isn't a meeting, this is considered an event, which is a requirement for membership.
I suppose I should clarify, I did a meeting but need an event. So this helps.

Looking forward to attending and putting the Yota through the paces. It's pretty much stock as of now but have plans....

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Hopefully we will have snow up there by then and it won't be too icy. I'm open to changing the venue if needed. But, Yankee Hill is best with a large group in the winter.
Denver got dumped on last week and today. How has Idaho Springs/Central City faired during these last two week?

Here's my $.02 on radios and trucks -
I've run this trail stock off the dealership lot in a 5th Gen 4Runner. Had a blast getting nowhere one year, and all the way to Alice another. Recovery points and straps are definitely a minimum. Tires, lift, winch are extra. Everyone will make sure you get home regardless. Read: Run what you brung!

As for radios, I think this is one of the runs were they are more necessary than others, but again, not required. The icy hills are easier to navigate a group through when everyone has some way to communicate to the truck behind them that the hill is clear. Not your usual run where everyone's just rolling up hills together since there's the concern of sliding back into another truck.

arthog

Hard Core 4+
Gilpin county got at most 4" of new snow from this storm. Here is the report for Saturday.

Sat 05 | Day​

28°

WNW 20 mph
Sunny. Becoming windy late. High 28F. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph.

Sat 05 | Night​

14°

WNW 15 mph
Partly cloudy skies. Low 14F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.