Skeds

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Starting a thread to discuss or schedule radio checks and rag chews. I don't think there's ever been an organized thread for it.

What's a "sked": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sked

Basically in ham radio a "sked" is a scheduled contact. Two or more hams coordinate a time, frequency and mode to attempt a contact. Reasons we may do this is to test radios and antennas, just to chat, check propagation, take advantage of a known or anticipated event such as sunspot increases, meteor showers, changes in atmospheric conditions.

10 Sked tips for hams: https://www.nj2x.com/2011/10/10-sked-tips-for-hams.html

Common frequencies: https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/rising-sun-common-frequencies.12717/
Common repeaters: https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/colorado-repeater-list.25953/

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Motivation to get my base station back up and running. Thanks Dave!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm in. I can set up my 2-meter base station in my family room again. I still have the thick antenna connection behind my couch from my J-Pole mounted two stories up.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Truth told, I don't have a home QTH either! So motivation to get off the dime here, too. I can reach the local ColCon repeater with an HT so I figured that would be a good first one.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I’m in! @DaveInDenver I'd love to see if we could make some HF contacts too!
581BCC7E-D0B5-410C-A282-8ACB1000FD15.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thinking the first should be Colorado Connection since we as a club take advantage of it so knowing how to use it is useful.

Date: Saturday, March 29, 2020
Time: 9AM MDT (1500 UTC)
Mode: FM Analog
Details: http://www.colcon.org

Post questions here if you haven't used the system!

Note: Last time I checked (today, 3/24/2020) the GJ repeater wasn't down so not sure why it says that. If only there were a way to know...

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 5.45.53 PM.png

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Well, maybe the link to GJ is broken. It's 1837MDT and I'm not hearing the daily 6:30 CERN net that uses ColCon. Can't believe it's a swing and miss on the first try!

Last edited:

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sounds like another bike ride is in order Dave... how far from your place to the GJ repeater site?

I did call out on 147.420 on my way home from work last night but not comebacks. 147.420 is a pretty quiet freq so easy to leave on an monitored for you local front rangers...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Verified that the GJ link to ColCon is broken as of today (Friday 3/27). I can listen to the repeater on Broadcastify but looks like I'll be unable to participate in the sked. Look forward to hearing you though!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Did anyone get one this a.m.? Sorry to have missed it. I've actually had a busy week so I slept in the morning.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Totally spaced on this one, sorry gents

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Sweet! I need to get my antenna back up. Also pick a spot. Maybe in the house would be nice, Before I just had my spare radio in the garage an motivation to get out there was super low sometimes.

Also, Pyramid Schemes and scams aside, nice Kirby. We have a gen 3 we got used for like $50, it reminds me of the FJ60.

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
Sweet! I need to get my antenna back up. Also pick a spot. Maybe in the house would be nice, Before I just had my spare radio in the garage an motivation to get out there was super low sometimes.

Also, Pyramid Schemes and scams aside, nice Kirby. We have a gen 3 we got used for like $50, it reminds me of the FJ60.

Love the Kirby! A bit heavy but what workhorse, yep, just like a 60 :).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
LOL! Marco sees the vacuum and I see a hot air rework station, HP power supply and what may be a Tek 2465BDV scope. You're set up better than some engineering companies I've worked.

Yeti

Rising Sun Member
@PhatFJ Nice tools. Now you got me thinking, do I need a rugged notebook? I'm off to eBay...

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
LOL! Marco sees the vacuum and I see a hot air rework station, HP power supply and what may be a Tek 2465BDV scope. You're set up better than some engineering companies I've worked.
Yes, I have been messing around with electronics for a few years and picked up some test equipment along the way.

@PhatFJ Nice tools. Now you got me thinking, do I need a rugged notebook? I'm off to eBay...

I had a Dell XFR for a few years but the thing just could not stay cool and would lock up. I recently picked up the Panasonic Toughbook. I have a CF-19 and a CF-31, They are a great computer for the price E-bay. Running windows 10 on both, the CF-19 has a built in GPS receiver I am still playing with.