Wanted Seeking Rear Springs to replace OEM 2nd Gen 4Runner (no lift)

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

wlucero

Rock Stacker
Looking for some rear springs to replace worn out OEM springs on a '90 4runner. Not looking for a lift, just back to stock ride height.

Heard that FJ80 rear springs are direct replacements for 2nd Gen 4Runners, just looking for confirmation.

If you have anything lmk. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
There were a few people posting about extras s few weeks back. Scroll back through this forum and you should find out.

DHwreckage

Rock Stacker
I'm pulling my slee 4" springs this week in favor of some dobinson 2.5vt's....but are you looking for stock springs? They may be a bit much for your 4runner!

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I'm pulling my slee 4" springs this week in favor of some dobinson 2.5vt's....but are you looking for stock springs? They may be a bit much for your 4runner!
Yeah stock 80 springs give 3"+ on a 3rd Gen. 4" sounds would be massive overkill and lead to geometry problems.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
You may find that dealer new springs aren't that expensive, and they are sure to fit properly. I put Moog rear coil springs (Amazon) on a 2000 4Runnner and it cured the sag and the pair was something like $61.

wlucero

Rock Stacker
Thanks a ton for the quick responses guys!

We'll give the dealer a call tomorrow, to see what they've got, as we're looking to swap springs out before leaving town on Friday AM.

Back story
  • College son got rear ended last month at college.
  • Planning on driving ('90 4Runner) to Bozeman, MT on Friday. Will be driving "dinged up" '96 Tacoma back here on Saturday.
  • Would like to change out rear 4Runner springs prior to the trip.
Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

acolefj

Wincher
Hey- I have a set (4 and shocks) of 80 series stock springs, pulled from 1996 with about 185K. Free... AC 303-885-5555

wlucero

Rock Stacker
Hey- I have a set (4 and shocks) of 80 series stock springs, pulled from 1996 with about 185K. Free... AC 303-885-5555
According to the dealer, Toyota has discontinued making these springs.

Slee has a new set of OME springs ($217 for the set) for this, so that's where we're leaning now, since we intend on keeping the 4Runner for quite a while.

Can u tell me what part of town your at?

Thank u.

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Man I really should have read the title of this. I saw 80 springs and assumed front springs to put on a 3rd gen ><

ColoradoMntMan

Rising Sun Member
I have a set of 80 stock springs if you need them

wlucero

Rock Stacker
Thanks for everyone's offers.

SLEE folks were sooper helpful and had a full OME suspension kit for our 2nd Gen 4Runner.

We went ahead and picked up 4 new shocks ($127/each) + 2 Rear Springs ($217).

Son started swapping out the front shocks tonight, so I think we're all set for the swap over before Friday's trip to Bozeman!

Thanks again to everyone.

(y)(y)(y)