Rubithon Carnage Pics

Crash

Rising Sun Member
How about a thread with pics of damage suffered at Rubithon '08? I think the folks that weren't able to attend would find the results interesting, informative and perhaps surprising. Prior to the event, I imagined there would be carnage of major porportion and that proved to be an incorrect line of thinking as the Rising Sun entrants proved to be more than able to represent the club as being a trail ready crew. My hat is off to those that kicked ass on the run!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Ok,
I will have to go take pictures later

I broke front swaybar at drivers side (broke off axle) - I removed it so the other side wouldn't break and take out the brakes

I broke the link in the passenger side rear swaybar. I left the swaybar installed

I have a few small paint scratches with no dents. Mostly in the molding

A rock jammed against my door molding and popped it off. No metal dent and all I have to do is replace the clips and it will go back on.

Lots of scraps on the underside. Slee Scid plate did its job

Right side Slee slider has big ding from hitting a rock but did not bend. Very stout product and shows the quality of Christo's work.

I am not counting the AC problem as that happened in Wyoming.

I plan on washing it in the next few days and giving it a good inspection, I may have more small stuff but a cursoray look showed everything else looked good.

I went expecting more damage (otherwise why go) and am pleased how the truck handled and how well I came out of it.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Did a more detailed inspection and found some other stuff

First front Swaybar, broken at the mount to the axle

Rear Swaybar link snapped

Drive shaft slightly stripped

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,637
  • PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,638
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,629

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Drivers side seems to have no body damage,maybe a scratch that may or not have been there

Passenger side rear door bumped a rock in the molding with no sheet metal breakage. Snapped a plastic rteainer on the inside of the molding that holds it on. I am fixing the clip back on with JDweld tonight and bought all new fastners to re-attach to door. Should come out fine

Rear flare scratchedwith a few paint scratches in the body from Cadillac hill where you get real tippy.

No big deal in the body damage department. I'll put the door cladding back on and it will look fine

Attachments

• PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,587
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,694

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
ok, I'll go...:eek:

Attachments

• nakman_carnage.jpg
    nakman_carnage.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 436

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The armor took some dings, but thats why we buy it. Nothing major

The one item that concerns me is that the inspection showed a lot of oil along the entire underside of the body from the diff back.

Checked the diff fluid and I was down 1.5 qts from when I left.

The spread of the oil looks like possibly pinion seal as its on the top and bottom of the diff on the rear side, plus above the front drive shaft along the body.

Cleaned it up and refilled fluid and let it drip to see if its from the bottom. Then I'll take it for a drive and see.

All in all, not too bad and I have no regrets.

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,570

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I got this one...

Attachments

• DSCF5242.jpg
    DSCF5242.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 419
  • DSCF4844.jpg
    DSCF4844.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCF5236.jpg
    DSCF5236.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 432
  • DSCF5176.jpg
    DSCF5176.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCF5152.jpg
    DSCF5152.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 429

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Rising Sun did an excellent job. Amazing how well everyone did. The carnage was relatively minor.

Attachments

• DSCF5243.jpg
    DSCF5243.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCF5244.jpg
    DSCF5244.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 428
  • DSCF5245.jpg
    DSCF5245.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCF5247.jpg
    DSCF5247.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 407
  • DSCF5281.jpg
    DSCF5281.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 416

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Sorry Cheese, had to do it:D

Attachments

• DSCF5249.jpg
    DSCF5249.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 419

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think Cadallac Hill did more damage to us then anything else

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Need some 'splanations with the pictures - looks like Dave did something that involved his rear wheel and Wildernest, saw Nakman and Romer, what happened to the Pig? Saw Hatfield's knuckles in those pics, did Uncle Ben have any damage? 'Ceptin' the windshield wiper blade? And how did THAT happen? :confused:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Way to go Ken, your rigs starting to look like mine. It's funny. All your damage seems so familiar too me.

Bot it looks like a great trail with plenty of big rocks requiring technical driving. It makes me really want to tun that trail. I would want a front locker though. Does Dave have a front locker? It looks like he did well.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Don't have a whole lot of carnage pics.

We blew out a trailer tire in Evanston, WY on the way out. Bought two new tires in Elko, NV.
My carburetor wasn't working well to start with. Had it rebuilt by Mark Algazy in camp.
I started with a squealing alternator belt. Replaced it after two days of wheeling.
Swing out spare tire carrier cracked my rear bumper in two places. Had it welded up by a passer by before I even left the staging area.
Bent my DS slider on the first day.
Sheared off DS knuckle studs on Friday, in camp. Everyone pitched in to fix it. Parts appeared almost magically.
Ran the battery down using my Engel fridge for two days without starting my cruiser.
Sheared off all my PS knuckle studs Sunday on Cadillac Hill. Right in front of Mudrak, who had another set of studs for me. We re-used one of the knuckle bearings we'd replaced from the DS repair on Friday.
Something happened in the rear diff going up Cadillac Hill. I no longer have rear wheel drive without the ARB locker engaged.
The carburetor is plugged up and running rich again.
I have a loud "thumping" or "clicking" sound. Not sure if it's the rear axle or the front. We may have left a couple of roller bearings in the Birf during the fix on Cadillac Hill, or it's one of the rear axles/locker.
Tow vehicle engine idler pulley siezed approximately 10 miles west of Rawlins, WY. Towed to Laramie and repaired Tuesday.
Noticed when I got home my FJ40 rear bumper is failing again.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I have a couple blisters on my toes, a dozen or so mosquito bites (those things were downright vicious), and I lost FJ Cruiser boonie hat UB gave me :(...Does that count? :lol:

Matt was wise and kept me away from driving his rig other than on paved roads, otherwise the carnage could have been MUCH worse :D

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Chris, that sucks man.

BTW, if you can drive with the rear locker turned on, but cannot drive when it isn't, pretty likely that you have a broken axle.

The locker on is giving you power to the good side, but with it off, all your power is going to the busted shaft, since that is the path of least resistance.

Probably also the source of the thumping/clicking noise.

zornff

WOW Chris,
I guess you were the green mile rig, sucking in all the bad JU-JU for everyone ! I was really bummed for you when you're studs sheared off on Cadillac. I only got 13 needle bearings out before you're magnet broke, so that may be part of what that sound is :confused.
I have over half the parts, including harness, if you decide to toss the carb and go TBI. You'll be glad you did.
Great trail, great people. We can't wait for next year !
:cheers: Mike

mtncrsr

Lifted
Fortunately the damage was fairly light for me. I lost one of the spring loaded metal tie downs for my cooler and I have some scrapes along the bottom of my new skid plate. Going high around the big rock as you dropped into the big sluice brought terrible metal scraping sounds but it turned out that it was only my exhaust pipe tip scraping the rock. The real bummer was that my wool blanket that I used for keeping my ice chest cooler grew legs and walked off. I don't know if I can find a replacement for that. I will however be upgrading my small pattern steering knuckles to the large pattern after seeing Chris having so many problems with his.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Need some 'splanations with the pictures - looks like Dave did something that involved his rear wheel and Wildernest, saw Nakman and Romer, what happened to the Pig? Saw Hatfield's knuckles in those pics, did Uncle Ben have any damage? 'Ceptin' the windshield wiper blade? And how did THAT happen? :confused:

WW took a hit from a full water can that escaped it's bondage and hopped onto the hood to holler at me about oppression. The wiper actually was not damaged as onl;y the hold down nut loosened. As far as sheet metal damage I am clean with the exception of a slight scrape and tiny dent next to my drivers side rear broken tail light. Total driver error! Backed into a rock trying to set up a line for the next obstacle at the beginning of Big Sluce. Three of four flares have rash although the passenger side rear took a pretty hard hit on Cadillac Hill same place as everyone elses damage in that area. That I have to call as spotter error as the kid assigned to that spot had no clue about wagon lines! Next obstacle was gonna be the same but I rebelled and Kardum showed up and backed me up with a spotter overide and allowed me to show the spotter what line we would need to take. Sliders did their jobs well as did all my armor. I achieve my purpose and severly bent the proto type belly pan but it did hold for the most part and save my T-case. Haven't had a chance to up load pix yet but did get the truck cleaned from top to bottom after getting it unloaded. Pix to follow very soon! :bowdown::risingsun:

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Managed to de-attach my rear swaybar.
Some scrapes to rear fender flares.
Scraped some paint right where the tail light starts on the right rear.
Bent the outriggers on both my sliders in a significant way.

Pictures to follow.