Rubicon trip Gas....

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Or, alternatively, we could just remain a 4wd club, and become a group of bike/PT/walk commuters.

Its how I pay for this stuff. I'd have been out of the game a long time ago if I had to drive every day.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Or at some point we can still be a 4wd drive club but only be able to TALK about how we USED to 4-wheel - before gas prices got too high :lmao: :(

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Or at some point we can still be a 4wd drive club but only be able to TALK about how we USED to 4-wheel - before gas prices got too high :lmao: :(

Yup. It will become more like an antique car club. We'll shine them up once or twice a year for a gathering of old Toyotas on our own "concours d'elegance" as we chat about the good old days when these relics actually saw the dirt.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Our you can have a 4wd
attachment.php

and a sporty little car that gets great gas mileage:D

attachment.php

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
In early 1981 (when I was a broke college student driving a 74 Pinto) gas prices were just under $3/gallon in today's dollars. So, yeah, $4/gallon gas is expensive, but it's not all *that* expensive. I don't even remember talking much about the price of gas then, and it's all the media seems to understand, today.

What's different, IMHO, is that we all got used to gas being dirt cheap for fifteen years, or so, and we're having a hard time adjusting to that. Don't get me started on the politics of it, but if we can keep the fools and dreamers from completely screwing the pooch, then this, too, shall pass. Relatively.

Mark

wesintl

RS Moderator
Yup. It will become more like an antique car club. We'll shine them up once or twice a year for a gathering of old Toyotas on our own "concours d'elegance" as we chat about the good old days when these relics actually saw the dirt.

Thats what I do now :confused:

I've given up... I prefer web wheelin now. it's cheaper and safer, and I can photo chop my rig onto any trail in the world. I never have to leave the house :eek:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
ok.....here's another angle of that same pump....

Attachments

• 459.jpg
    459.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 227

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Oh...gotcha. You sneaky...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
How about a backpacking club?
Knees won't permit it. When I talk about backcountry access for mobility-impaired folks being a justification for 4x4 routes, I ain't talkin' theory.

Fortunately I still seem to be able to ride my motorcycle (limited standing any more) and mountain bike (if I properly adjust the saddle).

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
:lmao:
I often use 2.23+4.7 for over 228:1 and find it just about right. Depending.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Just saying, it was funny when Kirsten would walk back to the truck get a fresh roll of film or sun block after sitting at the edge of the lake for half an hour waiting for the Rising Sun group to catch up to the walking spotters & viewing gallery. :)

Film? :confused: What's film?

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Total milage and fuel

Took some time today to total up my mileage and fuel usage. Total miles are off my GPS not the odometer.

Miles total = 2368
Fuel total = 170.5 gallons
Average MPG = 13.8
Best MPG = 15.5
Worst MPG = 11.6

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Matt and I tracked the fuel pretty dang close for the trip (used GPS for the mileage) and here are the (surprising in some cases) results...

Total miles driven: 2225
Total gals of fuel used: 173.389
Avg MPG: 13.18

Lowest price per gallon: $4.029 (H.R. CO)
Highest price per gallon: $4.899 (Kyburz, CA)

Lowest mpg trek: 6.55 mpg from Kyburz CA to Reno NV (Rubicon trail :))
Highest mpg trek: 15.95 mpg from W. Wendover, NV to Battle Mtn, NV

We got the highest mpg figures while travelling in a pack (drafting) and going slow (following Dave :hill:) although a close second was the 224 mile section from Ely NV to Salina UT where we got 15.6mpg and probably averaged 70-75mph

Taking the Rubicon trail out of it we got:

CO to CA - 13.4 mpg avg
CA to CO - 14.3 mpg avg

Personally I think that is pretty dang good for a brick with a 4" lift, 315s, 4.88s, etc. loaded down with probably 1000#s + of gear. It was apparent that NOT having a roof rack or anything on top made a definite difference.

I was surprised that on 5 of the legs of the trip we got better than 14mpg :thumb:

MPG Range # of legs
---------- --------
<10..................1
>10 to <12........1
>12 to <13........2
>13 to <14........2
>14 to <15........3
>15..................2

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
They'll start selling by the litre instead;)

So, when gas tops $10 gallon I guess they'll have to modify all the pumps since they don't have enough digits to register that high.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Matt and I tracked the fuel pretty dang close for the trip (used GPS for the mileage) and here are the (surprising in some cases) results...

Total miles driven: 2225
Total gals of fuel used: 173.389
Avg MPG: 13.18

Lowest price per gallon: $4.029 (H.R. CO)
Highest price per gallon: $4.899 (Kyburz, CA)

Lowest mpg trek: 6.55 mpg from Kyburz CA to Reno NV (Rubicon trail :))
Highest mpg trek: 15.95 mpg from W. Wendover, NV to Battle Mtn, NV

We got the highest mpg figures while travelling in a pack (drafting) and going slow (following Dave :hill:) although a close second was the 224 mile section from Ely NV to Salina UT where we got 15.6mpg and probably averaged 70-75mph

Taking the Rubicon trail out of it we got:

CO to CA - 13.4 mpg avg
CA to CO - 14.3 mpg avg

Personally I think that is pretty dang good for a brick with a 4" lift, 315s, 4.88s, etc. loaded down with probably 1000#s + of gear. It was apparent that NOT having a roof rack or anything on top made a definite difference.

I was surprised that on 5 of the legs of the trip we got better than 14mpg :thumb:

MPG Range # of legs
---------- --------
<10..................1
>10 to <12........1
>12 to <13........2
>13 to <14........2
>14 to <15........3
>15..................2

BEST... COPILOT... EVER!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+