• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

RS 5/8 Wave, 2M, Antenna Building Party 4-6-08

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
A HUGE thanks to Nathaniel (my Elmer :thumb:) for putting this together and for making up the awesome parts we needed for our antenna building party...And a huge thanks Andrea for letting Nathaniel out of the house despite her current condition :D - we owe you Andrea.

Also, a big thank you to John and his wife for their hospitality and use of their garage, backyard, shed, tools, etc. etc. etc :thumb:. Things took longer than planned (as they always do) so thanks for hanging in there with us.

I'm pretty sure everyone had a great time, shared some good times, had quite a few good laughs, and all of us came away with an awesome antenna and maybe, just maybe an understanding of how this stuff works (ok, that might be a bit of a stretch for me :hill:).

Here are some pics of the day...It was perfect weather for building an antenna :cool:

Step One - Gather...you have to start somewhere right :)

1.jpg

Step Two - Cut some copper wire (40" seemed to do the trick here)

2.jpg

Step Three - Grab the antenna base doodad (technical antenna speak) that the copper wire will wrap around

3.jpg

Step Four - Wrap the copper around the doodad 10 and a half times with proper spacing...Note: We discovered later on that Ricardo cannot count to 10 :eek: :lmao:

4.jpg

Step Five - Crimp a ring connector to the copper at the antenna end of the doodad, with the ring connector and a washer under the antenna attachment bolt...Note: We (ok, I) discovered that it is possible to break the pretty doodads by cranking the antenna down into the doodad too hard :doh: Nathaniel started referring to the act of breaking stuff as "Jefficizing" something. The rest of the day we all heard quite often Nathaniel state "And don't Jefficize it" or "Be careful not to Jefficize that"...Should you make one of these in the future, please don't Jefficize it :rolleyes:

5.jpg

Step Six - Put some solder on the ring connector and the copper at the antenna end of the doodad and then clip off the excess copper wire...Note: This should only be attempted by highly trained professionals and requires intense concentration...

6.jpg

Step Seven - Remove ~3" of the outer sheath from the antenna end of your coax (this is at the opposite end from the connector :)). Now you are ready to "de-braid" the outer shield of braided wire on your coax. It was determined that if you've had daughters and have ever had to remove their braids, then you should be considered an expert at this step :hill:. Debraid down to where the outer sheath was cut, then twist it all back up into a thin long wire :rolleyes:...Also remove 1/2" from the inner sheath to expose the center conductor and add some solder to it.

7.jpg

Step Eight - Solder the exposed center conductor to the forth copper wrap down from the top by going under the copper wrap. At this point you'll be cursing yourself for getting the wraps so tight and this is also probably the point where you'll notice whether you can count to 10, or not :D.

Put a second ring connector on the bottom of the doodad with the copper wire and the twisted up outer braid going through the connector crimp point. Bend it 90 degrees and put a bolt into the base of the doodad to hold the ring connector in place. Then crimp and throw some solder on it (getting the feeling we like to solder?). Don't forget the twisted up outer braid or you'll get to do this step twice...I became pretty good at this step, and others, on account I got to do them twice :doh:.

8.jpg

Step Nine - If you've made it this far then throw some heat shrink wrap around the doodad and copper wire etc. and go scout out a spot to mount your new antenna :thumb:. Here, the experts look for the perfect antenna mounting spot on an 80.

9.jpg

Step Ten - Homebrew antenna with heat shrink wrapping mounted and ready for testing :cool:.

10.jpg

Step Eleven - Testing the homebrewed antenna.

11.jpg

Step Twelve and Thirteen - Testing more homebrewed antennas. Note: Check out the fancy "NPS" mount. Never heard of a NPS mount? It is a "No Parking" sign, upside down, with a hole drilled in it :thumb:. Results were S8/S9 signal strengths...Ricardo and Matt were able to chat with a gent located around 6th and Federal from John's place (by old Stapleton) at as low as just 5 watts of power! Way :cool:

12.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for putting up with me being late yesterday, and to Ricardo for basically building both antennas for me - it was great fun Nathaniel, and a great learning experience, so thanks again for putting it together!

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel, thanks for putting the raw materials together for this. John, thank you (and your wife) for letting us hang out in the back yard, porch and shed. This was a great project. Jeff, this is a great write up and as I am now re-doing mine to get the 10.5 turns it is very useful to see the steps again. :D

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Nathaniel for putting this together and thanks John for hosting the antenna build. Had a great time learning some more ham stuff. :thumb::thumb:

Took the Tacoma to Camelot CB today to replace a damaged cb antenna and had them adjut the CB for SWR.

While they were at it, the SWR was checked on the 2 METER 5/8ths homebrew. 1.2 SWR on 146.460 :). Thanks GROUCHO!

JOHN
KD0DCU

Shorty

Thanks!

I'm a bit late in seeing this writeup. Great job, Jeff! It really captured the intense concentration of those involved. :D

Also, many thanks to Nathaniel, John, and his wife for all their help and hosting of the class/party/learning experience/fun time.........