Roof mount suggestions for wheel

Planner1

Rising Sun Member
Our nephew has a gen5 4Runner and would like to mount the spare tire on the roof. Any suggestions for a secure and not too expensive solution?

Thanks,
Nate & Tracy

Planner1

Rising Sun Member
No suggestion other than not to do it. Does it not fit in factory location? Otherwise I'd look at one of the mounts that fit into a receiver. Lifting a heavy spare on the roof is always a PITA. Easy way to get hurt.
It’s oversized, so doesn’t fit in stock location. Mostly wanting a spare with the vehicle in case he’s calling AAA.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
I second the suggestion of not putting it on the roof. Getting it up there is one thing. But getting one down when you need it is NOT fun either. I've seen some pretty amazing damage caused by losing grip on getting a heavy tire down.
There is a product for kayaks, bikes etc, that is similar to a roof mounted ladder lowering mechanism that I've looked into. But it's NOT cheap.
Screenshot_20240404_091011_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240404_091116_Chrome.jpg

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
In addition to all the comments above about the difficulty getting it up and down, a spare on the roof raises the center of gravity of the vehicle. Even if it's slight it still adds to being more tippy on trails, adding to the potential for a rollover. It could probably also turn into a projectile in a road collision.

I'm with everyone else: Attach it to the back, either with a purpose-built aftermarket bumper, or one of the things that attaches to the trailer hitch.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
@Planner1 I have a receiver hitch mounted tire carrier if you’re interested in taking a look at it. It’s similar to the one @Corbet posted but made by RiG’d.

Looks like this one but has a Jerry can mount. IMG_2496.jpeg

Planner1

Rising Sun Member
@Planner1 I have a receiver hitch mounted tire carrier if you’re interested in taking a look at it. It’s similar to the one @Corbet posted but made by RiG’d.

Looks like this one but has a Jerry can mount. View attachment 128564
Thanks. Let me know how much you want for it and I’ll check and see if it would work for him.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I ran a spare on the roof for a trip once. I would never do it again. Just adding to the chorus. Better to loose trunk space as long as its strapped down and not a missile.