Reputable supplier for dyneema winch line??

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
I recently pulled the synthetic line off of the old warn winch that came on my 1st Gen 4Runner, when I held a winch maintenance day for a few LOT gals. I knew it was going to be bad news bears before I started, but the farther I got into that line, the WORSE it was. I wouldn't use that line for a dog leash, let alone a recovery tool... The last wrap was rusted to the reel, and I had to peel the line off through the rust.
I'm going to be working on repairing the reel, not sure how badly damaged it is quite yet. But when I do get to a point of being able to rewrap some line on it, I want to buy the real deal, not some cheap knock off.

I've found a company called TRE (https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com) where one can order UHMWPE Synthetic Rope coated with a UV protectant at any length in just about any diameter needed with/without heavy duty thimbles added as requested.
Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they a good supplier to buy from, or should they be added to the stay away from list? Do you have a trusted supplier you've ordered your winch line from in the past?

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
I know nothing of TRE, but their address is next door to a self-storage place I used last year. It's a building of shared "garages". I don't remember TRE, but there was an RV repair place there, an automotive paint shop, etc.

Mark

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I don’t have any experience with this company either. I’m interested to hear what others think because they seem to have good prices. I can’t see where the uhmwpe synthetic rope is made but it is rated.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I don’t have any experience with this company either. I’m interested to hear what others think because they seem to have good prices. I can’t see where the uhmwpe synthetic rope is made but it is rated.
Same here. I'm coming up with $218.95 for 3/8" 100' in their most basic configuration. That's cheaper than bulk retail price if you have a supplier just cut you a length from a spool. So if it's legitimate New England/Cortland/Sampson/Yale/Marlow and not some sort of Chineema that's a really good deal.

Last edited:

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That is cheap, I usually buy bulk amsteel from Go2Marine, 3/8 is selling for $2.27 a foot today.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I suggest ASR offroad. They're pricey, but they're proven. You get the fancy tag that calls out ratings and serializes each rope.

From ASR's site:
"ASR Synthetic Winch Lines are made of quality HMPE (High Modulus PolyEthylene, aka UHMWPE/Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene). They are also coated with an extremely durable and highly pliable water/weather resistant fiber-lock coating to give them top tier UV and abrasion resistance. "

As an added bonus, they have 100" of high-vis drum warning to keep Cro-Magnons like myself from unspooling too much line.
as and added, added bonus, you can get their "Enhanced winchline," with high vis notches every 5 ft. (Never used it in a practical application, but it's there.)

At the risk of sounding pedantic: If a company labels something as "Tactical," I tend to devalue what they're selling, or at least raise a skeptical flag.
</rant>

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@MonPetiteShoe, ASR I believe uses Cortland Plasma rope. This is for all practical purposes interchangeable with Sampson's Amsteel Blue and a very commonly used rope. Top quality stuff.

Since we're comparing here they ask $429 for a 100 foot 3/8" winch line. So you can see just how good of a deal that TRE might be if it's legit. ASR does add value in the markings and there's a certainly significant value to documentation and traceability of suppliers and workmanship.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
@MonPetiteShoe, ASR I believe uses Cortland Plasma rope. This is for all practical purposes interchangeable with Sampson's Amsteel Blue and a very commonly used rope. Top quality stuff.

Since we're comparing here they ask $429 for a 100 foot 3/8" winch line. So you can see just how good of a deal that TRE might be if it's legit. The ASR does add value in the markings and there's a certainly significant value to documentation and traceability of suppliers and workmanship.
I have reached out to TSR to see if they will send me their supplier info.
Just from looking on their blog, it appears they've been around since 2015. Not saying that adds any legitimacy to their product, but maybe being in business that long will get me an answer to where their cording is sourced.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I was poking around the TRE website, they do seem to offer interesting stuff. I really like those safety thimbles, for example. I have one from winchlines.com on my rope but they went out of business a year or two ago so TRE may be a good replacement source.

But one thing I notice is they appear to use a shrink wrap to whip their ropes. This is kind of a touchy question. UHMWPE has a very low melt temperature and any heat can significantly weaken it. Some people do it and it can be done if you're careful with the heat gun and use the lowest temp heat shrink. Just something that's not recommended.

2023-Jun-23-11-18-562.jpg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Lets apply knowledge and experience, which is abundant on this list.

Main ways to damage synthetic rope are heat and sharp bits.
All TSR products have heat shrink labels. um ......​

TSR sells a Winch Drum Attachment Kit for 3/8″-7/16″ Synthetic Winch Rope that is square cut metal (sharp edges) and 12 gauge steel. 12 gauge steel is in all cases an inadequate bend radius for synthetic winch line. Not only have I never seen this method, but now its among teh worst methods I have ever seen. A tab that is like a knife held in place by a screw that can also cut.
1714065853093.png

This is getting fun!

Proper splicing is important to synthetic rope.
TSR splicing instructions for a deep bury do not correctly specify the length of the bury or mention lockstiching, both essential elements of a deep bury splice.​

Next up, the 3/8 Synthetic Winch Rope – 20,000 lb. Breaking Strength – Replacement Winch Rope for 6,000 – 12,000 lb. Winches.
1) "Rated to 20,000 lbs." "20,000 lbs. Breaking Strength" - is that Average breaking strength? "Minimum Breaking Strength?" The all popular and most useless "Maximum Breaking Strength"? Well, the heat shrink says "Minimum Breaking Strength" which is the rating you want BUT not even the best reputable 3/8 is rated that high. 3/8 Plasma - among the best you can buy - has Minimum Breaking Strength of 17,500​
I could go on, but I have seen enough. I'd never buy line there.

Attachments

• 1714065842270.jpeg
    1714065842270.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I have reached out to TSR to see if they will send me their supplier info.
Just from looking on their blog, it appears they've been around since 2015. Not saying that adds any legitimacy to their product, but maybe being in business that long will get me an answer to where their cording is sourced.
Please let us know!

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Yes, I noticed this too. I can't read the whole label that's on that shrink wrap, but it sort of looks to be an appeaser label rather than a real safety rating label.
I was poking around the TRE website, they do seem to offer interesting stuff. I really like those safety thimbles, for example. I have one from winchlines.com on my rope but they went out of business a year or two ago so TRE may be a good replacement source.

But one thing I notice is they appear to use a shrink wrap to whip their ropes. This is kind of a touchy question. UHMWPE has a very low melt temperature and any heat can significantly weaken it. Some people do it and it can be done if you're careful with the heat gun and use the lowest temp heat shrink. Just something that's not recommended.

View attachment 129564

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Lets apply knowledge and experience, which is abundant on this list.

Main ways to damage synthetic rope are heat and sharp bits.
All TSR products have heat shrink labels. um ......​
Proper splicing is important to synthetic rope.
TSR splicing instructions for a deep bury do not correctly specify the length of the bury or mention lockstiching, both essential elements of a deep bury splice.​
TSR sells a Winch Drum Attachment Kit for 3/8″-7/16″ Synthetic Winch Rope that is square cut metal (sharp edges) and 12 gauge steel. 12 gauge steel is in all cases an inadequate bend radius for synthetic winch line. Not only have I never seen this method, but now its among teh worst methods I have ever seen. A tab that is like a knife held in place by a screw that can also cut.
This is getting fun!
Next up, the 3/8 Synthetic Winch Rope – 20,000 lb. Breaking Strength – Replacement Winch Rope for 6,000 – 12,000 lb. Winches.
1) "Rated to 20,000 lbs." "20,000 lbs. Breaking Strength" - is that Average breaking strength? "Minimum Breaking Strength?" The all popular and most useless "Maximum Breaking Strength"? Well, the heat shrink says "Minimum Breaking Strength" which is the rating you want BUT not even the best reputable 3/8 is rated that high. 3/8 Plasma - among the best you can buy - has Minimum Breaking Strength of 17,500​
I could go on, but I have seen enough. I'd never buy line there.
Yes, all of this stood out as red flags to me as well. 🚩🚩🚩

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
PS. Their "soft loop ends" are very troubling for the average user. I like soft loops, but I also know how to inspect gear. On mine I can remove the abrasion guard. On theirs you cannot. VERY bad for the average user since wear is always concentrated at the end of the loop.

Today we may have saved lives....

1714065908135.png

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Alright, we put together a club pool to buy some line and go test some theories.
Will heat shrink degrade the line?
Working vs. Maximum vs. minimum strengths.
Failures experienced at the winch drum attach point.
#Youtubefamous

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Alright, we put together a club pool to buy some line and go test some theories.
Will heat shrink degrade the line?
Working vs. Maximum vs. minimum strengths.
#Youtubefamous
The only test I am unaware of anyone already done is the heat shrink one. May make for nice you tube but wont change my mind. I can probably borrow some load cells. I have spare line and a heat gun. o_O
Working vs. Maximum vs. minimum strengths
Must be specified by manufacturer.
Most none will fail if you maintain 7-11 wraps.

Sure all this can be debated. Or just follow best practices which are no harder to follow.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
This says it all to me:

At the risk of sounding pedantic: If a company labels something as "Tactical," I tend to devalue what they're selling, or at least raise a skeptical flag.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I buy my Amsteel from Go2Marine and splice my own thimble for an old fashioned hook.

I use this attachment to the drum.

There seems to be tons of “deals” on synthetic rope out there. None of which will be a deal if it fails and your truck gets damaged or worse someone dies. Save a few dollars somewhere else. Details of my install can be found in my build thread linked below.