Replacing the radiator drain plug without dumping the coolant

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Ok, so here’s a conundrum... I refreshed the entire coolant system a year ago: water pump, thermostat, all hoses, all the hardlines that were in bad shape, flushed the system and refilled with 50/50 Toyota red and distilled water. I reused the plug at the bottom of the radiator. It’s a little plastic thing with a rubber o-ring. Well, now it's leaking. I got a brand new one from Toyota and I’m scratching my head on how to swap it out without A) dumping 90% of the coolant and B) taking a coolant shower.

This is on a 60 so there’s a frame gusset directly below the plug making access not really difficult, but weird. In other words that slows down the speed at which I can simply swap the plugs.

Should I just go for it and be as fast as I can? Take the coolant bath and hope not to lose too much? Or is there a better way? Some secret tool I’ve never heard of?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Can you stick a shop vac on the rad neck and flip it on? Maybe it’ll suck a bunch out but at some point it’ll just suck air thru the drain and won’t let water out. Either that or drain into a few Home Depot buckets and refill. The latter is what I do

RDub

That happened to mine. I ended up draining it into a couple of buckets like @rover67 suggested. I made a diverter out of an old funnel and short piece of garden hose to direct it into the bucket and keep
It clean. Worked well. The o-ring on the plastic stopper thing was old and cracked. No more leaks. I have a new OEM plastic thingy and o-ring if you need those.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Can you stick a shop vac on the rad neck and flip it on? Maybe it’ll suck a bunch out but at some point it’ll just suck air thru the drain and won’t let water out. Either that or drain into a few Home Depot buckets and refill. The latter is what I do
A shop vac might work. What about a mighty vac for a little more control?

Remember when you were a kid and you’d stick your finger over the top of your straw and lift the drink up? It doesn’t come out the bottom. I would think leaving the radiator cap in place would have this same effect, but it doesn’t - we’ve all drained coolant by simply taking the plug out. Maybe the cap is in “venting mode” at rest, so take it off and put a rubber stopper in the filler neck? Or use the mighty vac and get the suction dialed in so it isn’t eating fluid, but it is holding it up when I take the plug out?

I think your option #2 is what I’ll do but I wouldn’t reuse the fluid I capture. It all comes out and hits that frame gusset. A big design whiff from Toyota on that. Anyway, I don’t think I would ever be able to get that gusset clean enough to where the fluid ends up clean in the bucket. Guaranteed contaminants.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@RDub I think you address my concern above on reusing the coolant. I did pick up a new plug and o-ring from Toyota, so I’m set on that.

I really wish the optional coolant drain with the hose connection worked on the radiator. It’s some other Toyota part that fits the block drain on a 60 and has a hose barb. Threads right into the block. The plug on the radiator has wrench flats as if it threads in, but it’s actually brazed.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Just sayin’. Always the rotisserie option. Just flip her over for a spill free swap. I’d op for clean bucket and refill.

IMG_0611.jpeg

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
@Doughboy showed me a cool trick to reduce the mess…we took a clean trash bag and attached it near the plug, then extended it into the bucket. The coolant kinda runs along the bag and into to bucket with less mess. Not no mess, but less.

Did that make sense?

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I make funnels from plastic gallon jugs (think milk jugs and water jugs). I have drained my radiator from the drain plug into empty antifreeze jugs.