• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Repair shop suggestions for an 80 - totaled, need advice

coloradoadams

Wincher
My wife got in an accident in her 80 today and I need some suggestions/advise on where to take it. No one was hurt thankfully. We live south of Fairplay but she was in the Denver/Boulder area for a hockey game. It will definitely need a bumper, some body work, radiator, trans cooler, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Shout out to Adam Varns @on-the-RX who went out of his way to help her on the side of the road. You rock!

80.jpg
80 2.jpg

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I am curious to see how this plays out re: insurance and repair shops. I had Caropractor work on my Corolla a few years back for hail damage and thought they did a really good job, but I'm sure there are other good shops around, and would be interested to see if you find one on the west side of town.

that'swhatshesaid

Rising Sun Member
I'm going to speak up for your wife... no need to mention is was her that this happened ;) I did something similar 10ish years ago and @Eyepain doesn't let me live it down. IF others would just move more quickly this wouldn't happen! Glad everyone is safe!

coloradoadams

Wincher
I'm going to speak up for your wife... no need to mention is was her that this happened ;) I did something similar 10ish years ago and @Eyepain doesn't let me live it down. IF others would just move more quickly this wouldn't happen! Glad everyone is safe!
No need to speak up for my wife. It was an accident and we are just trying to figure out next steps. I'm glad she is safe as well.

Oneops

Great folks to deal with.
Or if you think you’ll need body and paint Steve at Camaro Plus is a great help that would handle all of it and help deal with inc if your having to.

coloradoadams

Wincher
Insurance totaled it and is offering us $13,800. I really don't think the damage is that bad, but totaled it anyway. Its a 97 collectors edition that is stock, triple locked, 275k miles, rebuilt engine. We paid $12k for it 2 years ago which I thought was a deal. They are pressuring us to release it to Copart, which seems weird but OK. Any suggestions or advice out there? Thanks!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Copart are like vultures. I had an accident last year and Copart called me every day asking when they could come pick up my car. I ended up keeping it and parting it out. Personally, I would figure out what the buy-back price is ("Owner Retention") and try to repair it. @HDavis is repairing an 80 with much worse damage: https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/40th-anniversary-salvage-rebuild.31961/ I think this truck would be really easy to get fixed and back on the road.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Take the $13k, buy it back for $1000. Take the $12k and build the piss out of it as a trail rig.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Don't cave to the pressure! Save the 80!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This is too nice of an 80 to let it be totaled. Buy it and fix it. Totally worth it.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, I'd buy it back hands down. They want it because they will make money on it. I'd fight the value to see what you can get if you aren't pressed for time. Show them all kinds of 80 series locked 40th trucks. See if you can get more since they go for sooooo much money. pretend like you aren't sure what you want to do yet. drag it out. This is of course if you have the truck at home. If you are paying to store it get it back and put a bumper on it.

coloradoadams

Wincher
Thanks for the advice! I am waiting on a quote for us to retain ownership and I'm almost 100% that is what we will do. The truck is at a shop in Boulder, but we live 2+ hours away which adds a little complexity. We bought another vehicle over the weekend so we are good with transportation. I don't mind dragging it out, but would hate to pay storage fees while doing so. I'll see if I can get it towed to my house before making a final decision.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks for the advice! I am waiting on a quote for us to retain ownership and I'm almost 100% that is what we will do. The truck is at a shop in Boulder, but we live 2+ hours away which adds a little complexity. We bought another vehicle over the weekend so we are good with transportation. I don't mind dragging it out, but would hate to pay storage fees while doing so. I'll see if I can get it towed to my house before making a final decision.
save the 80

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
When I wrecked my FJ60 near Steamboat 20 years ago, my State Farm towing coverage took care of bringing it back to me in Denver from the tow yard up there,.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Guess it's not drivable?
I'm not far from boulder. I can keep it at my house till you can get it if need be,