• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Re-gear Question

scheefdog

Re-gearing in my experience is a very worthwhile modification since we live at high elevation. Going from 4.3 to 4.88s will be very noticeable daily driving, on the highway, and crawling off-road.

I have a Tundra with the 4.7 that I re-geared from 3.90 to 4.56. The difference from gearing is very drastic with 33.5" tires on it. I have a 5speed auto and vvti - so for me that gear ratio is good. I am sure your 100 is heavier and your 4 speed auto (and engine with less hp/tq) would benefit more from the 4.88s.

The transfer case underdrive gears should be a much cheaper option and I believe accomplish the same ratio change.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm all for the diff re-gear.
I just tossed the underdrive out there as another option.
I run 5.29's, but i'm also on 37's.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
This is an apples and oranges comparison but I did 4.88"s in the 80 back in 2013 because the over-under drive gears weren't a widely discussed and popular option at least in my opinion. I feel like it made a huge difference with the extra weight and 35's, but now of course you're talking a 1FZ vs. a 2UZ.

My biggest thing is I have just learned to live with what I have. Sure it would be great to do 95 over Vail pass while towing my pop-up but I am at peace with going 45 in second.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Full transparency, my opinion is coming from swapping axles on an old k10 I had a long time ago. I went from 3.73 to 4.10 and although it was noticeable, it wasnt so noticeable that I thought it was really worth it. Also, this was at sea level and there werent a lot of mountains to go over in SE Georgia so admittedly it probably isnt the best comparison.

Im sure somebody in the club has regeared to 4.88's in the same model year range with a similar build and will let you drive it so you can get a feel for it. Thats what is great about this club and forum: unlike Mud, eveyone here has very relevant scenarios they have put their rigs through and they can give more specific advice towards helping you make a decision.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, i would explore this route as well as you will achieve the same results for possibly less cost. Call the guys at Cruiser Outfitters and they can give you tons of info on the subject.

Im in no place to tell people how to spend their money so hopefully this doesnt come off that way. Im just worried you arent going to be happy on the return of your investment going from 4.30 to 4.88's. The jump is just too small. You will probably feel a little improvement but not $3,000 or even $2500 worth of improvement. For that kind of spend I would want a night and day differnce and this just wont be the case.

What were the gears on your hundred Nick? Did you ever regear that truck at all?

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
What were the gears on your hundred Nick? Did you ever regear that truck at all?
It was the stock 4.30 and no, I never re-geared. The only time I really wanted more out of it was when I was loaded down pretty good with the family on camping trips, pulling a small trailer. I would have to flog it to go the speed I wanted to on the mountain passes but it would still go as fast as I wanted. Also, off-road I was never wishing for anything lower for three reasons: it felt like it was always in the sweet spot when I was using the transmission to stay at the speed I wanted going down hill, I like driving faster than I probably should in 4 low, and it never really struggled when I was climbing over stuff.

Again, to each his own. I’m the LAST person to judge anybody on how they spend their money. Do whatever makes you happy. Just for me, that money was better allocated for other things and gas money spent exploring. 😉

japete01

Wincher
@Stuckinthe80s - I can completely identify with your thoughts. I think the sluggishness and downshifts are also likely me getting use to the Loaded 4 Speed LC vs. my 4.7L 4Runner with the 5 speed. The 4Runner doesn't even think about downshifting up I70. I hate the feeling of beating on my vehicle for day-to-day use. That said, it might just be a comfort level thing.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
@Stuckinthe80s - I hate the feeling of beating on my vehicle for day-to-day use. That said, it might just be a comfort level thing.

Bah! Beat that thing like you stole it! Toyota’s are like S&M freaks that don’t have safe words. They love being abused.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
@japete01 sorry, missed this earlier. Thanks for asking. I’m always wondering what other’s are doing with their rigs. I love research and reading about different types of mods and upgrades. The only problem is that I’m also not made out of money 😁.
I’m leaning very hard towards Harrop Lockers, when funds allow, but I don’t think I’ll do gears at the same time. The reduction gears for the transfer case is appealing. I guess we’ll have to see how I feel once I get my rear bumper/carrier installed, skid plates and sliders installed, and whatever else is shiny and expensive goes on the truck! 😳
I swear it’s never ending.
Knowing what I know now, I wish I had bought a rig like yours.

japete01

Wincher
@Johnny Utah - After seeing yours on the road, I see no reason for buying something else. It looked great! I hear you on the endless list. I'm still leaning toward doing gearing, only because I can't find enough information on the reliability of the underdrive gears.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Yes good point. As others mentioned, I would call cruiser outfitters. Kurt Williams built a sweet 100 called Death Star. He may have done underdrive gears, not sure. Obviously there are some great things to be gained from re-gearing, so I say go for it. I’m just a cheapskate.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Another thought.
When I bought my truck it had 295/75/16 bfg at2s. These tires looked awesome! (Perfect size for a lifted 100 in my opinion) That said I knew the drive train would be happier if I downsized to 285/75/16 (which I did, and I have) and I was right. I didn't realize how much the truck was "struggling" so to speak, with the 295s. I liked that tire so much that I would eventually like to go back up, however, I would not consider it without re-gearing. Once I swapped to the 285s, the transmission seemed like it just shifted better, and it did not hunt for the right gear as often. So I guess Im still enjoying the "new" feeling with the 285s.
All that to say, do the gearing...you have everything else, might as well have the gears you want.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Another thought.
When I bought my truck it had 295/75/16 bfg at2s. These tires looked awesome! (Perfect size for a lifted 100 in my opinion) That said I knew the drive train would be happier if I downsized to 285/75/16 (which I did, and I have) and I was right. I didn't realize how much the truck was "struggling" so to speak, with the 295s. I liked that tire so much that I would eventually like to go back up, however, I would not consider it without re-gearing. Once I swapped to the 285s, the transmission seemed like it just shifted better, and it did not hunt for the right gear as often. So I guess Im still enjoying the "new" feeling with the 285s.
All that to say, do the gearing...you have everything else, might as well have the gears you want.
That's interesting. I've run both 295/75/16 and 285/75/16 tires on my 100, and I've never noticed any difference in shifting or performance. My truck struggled just as much with the 285s as it does with the 295s. :ROFLMAO: I'm going to keep the 295s on the truck, because I really prefer that size over the 285s, and again, it's slow as hell regardless of the size.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
That's interesting. I've run both 295/75/16 and 285/75/16 tires on my 100, and I've never noticed any difference in shifting or performance. My truck struggled just as much with the 285s as it does with the 295s. :ROFLMAO: I'm going to keep the 295s on the truck, because I really prefer that size over the 285s, and again, it's slow as hell regardless of the size.
Maybe its to do with weight of mods. When I switched to 285s I had not yet done the ARB bull bar, winch, or roof rack. As those things have been added over the last couple of months I probably haven't noticed the truck feeling slower due to the added weight over that time.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Maybe its to do with weight of mods. When I switched to 285s I had not yet done the ARB bull bar, winch, or roof rack. As those things have been added over the last couple of months I probably haven't noticed the truck feeling slower due to the added weight over that time.
Probably. I'm definitely pushing maximum density with the ARB front bumper/winch, sliders, full undercarriage armor, Slee rear bumper, drawers, roof rack, RTT, awning, and a fridge/freezer.

The damn thing has always been slow. 285 vs. 295 tires is the least of my weight problems. My 2UZ hates me. :ROFLMAO: :banghead: