Radiator repair in Denver?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Any recommendations for a shop to repair my 60’s original radiator? It was leaking so I swapped in a CSF, but since the original lasted 42 years I’d like to have it repaired.

6D920643-E454-4187-8F62-E30B4FAE49D4.jpeg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I had mine repaired at Spike Radiator. When I walked in he knew it was from a Land Cruiser from 15 feet away. It has required nothing since then.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Another vote for spike. I’ve used spike a couple times in the past. They are very knowledgeable in radiator repair. Don’t judge them by the looks of their shop. To say it’s a total disaster is an understatement. I haven’t been there in years so maybe they cleaned up, but I doubt it.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Another vote for spike. I’ve used spike a couple times in the past. They are very knowledgeable in radiator repair. Don’t judge them by the looks of their shop. To say it’s a total disaster is an understatement. I haven’t been there in years so maybe they cleaned up, but I doubt it.
No different from any “real” radiator shop.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Yeah I guess so, just don’t go in there wearing flip flops!!!🤣
Don’t hang out and breathe heavy either. Used to be very unhealthy to work in a radiator shop but maybe federal regulations have changed that. Lots of nasty chemicals and solder smoke.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I used a spot off federal just south of I76 once. Did a fine job and no complaints from me

RDub

I used a place of Federal called A-1. Did a good job. The owner sort of reminded me of a caricature of Bono if drawn by Ralph Steadman.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I’ll give Spike a call and if that doesn’t work try the place on Federal. Thanks everyone.

By the way, does anybody know a ballpark price for this sort of stuff?

RDub

A couple years ago I was charged $225 to go through mine and resolder the tanks. Not sure if he rodded out the core or not.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I have been using A-1 for everything but honestly the last time (and I love the guy) it felt pretty pricey. I hate saying that because i wanto support him and a person's gotta eat but dang.

I've had him do the 40's radiator core, unobtainium porsche 2.7 911 oil coolers going into unobtainium motors, the tractors radiator, the '52 willy's rad, the 60's rad, and 2 40's radiator.

Anyhow, he does fine work. heck, i'll probably just take the next thing to him also. As far as price goes it'll probably cost you more than the replacement would cost at A-1 (not?) lol :/

simps80

Rising Sun Member
A1 was rad back in the day bunch a work sent there from me…

<tmi edit>

Anyways I will look up the shop on broadway just south of downtown that was solid post a1

Really good and old school like a1 back then

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
A1 was rad back in the day bunch a work sent there from me…

<tmi edit>

Anyways I will look up the shop on broadway just south of downtown that was solid post a1

Really good and old school like a1 back then
Broadway just south of downtown is a regular line of travel for me. Standing by for details!

@rover67 A CSF 2708 radiator is what, $500? I picked one up used for $100 from a guy who ran it for less than a year and then yanked it out as part of an LS swap. I’d love for repairs on my original one to be $200-300, but we’ll see what’s out there.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Broadway just south of downtown is a regular line of travel for me. Standing by for details!

@rover67 A CSF 2708 radiator is what, $500? I picked one up used for $100 from a guy who ran it for less than a year and then yanked it out as part of an LS swap. I’d love for repairs on my original one to be $200-300, but we’ll see what’s out there.
Oh thats more than I thought a radiator for a 60 would cost, jeeze. I think your in the ballpark on price. I also bet you can find somewhere cheaper FWIW.

Yeah Mike I think I went to A-1 on a recco from you a while back.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Used to use Aurora Radiator (Colfax a few blocks east of Havana), not that it's the most convenient (and probably now a real sketch trip) but they were good with mini truck radiators and heater cores. You want old skool, yup.

aurorarad.jpg

When I had mine done in 2009 it was pretty cheap to clean up and paint. No super major work though. Prices aren't anything like that anymore but I bet that seemed crazy compared to 1994.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Has anyone recently had the fj40 rear heater core repaired locally? I bought one that leaks and of course they all have to be rebuilt. I don't think there are any after market cores available.