Need advice on shops...

I posted before about exhust systems and many of you said to go to Bud's on SantaFe Great decision. They did a great job.

Now I need some help with a few other things. I have a leak in my coolant system and I think it might be the rad. anyone know of a good radiator shop that can do a recore or sell me a replacement. I have a 1981 BJ44 so I can't use a stock 2F rad as the inlet/output are different.

Also, Does anyone know of a good diesel shop that can do a compression test, check the timing, and check or rebuild the injectors?

Thanks all!

K

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I had my radiator rebuilt at Aurora Radiator a couple of years ago, they did a great job. I had them rod it out and it came back looking brand friggin' new inside (nice clean copper inside where I could see at least) and out. I want to say it was $60 or something that seemed fair.

wesintl

RS Moderator

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I would also suggest fellow Rising Sun member (and Toyota Trails Tech Editor) Robbie Antonson (powderpig on this forum) for any diesel work. He is a trained and experienced diesel tech. I use Jeffco Radiator in Lakewood for my radiator work.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I would also suggest fellow Rising Sun member (and Toyota Trails Tech Editor) Robbie Antonson (powderpig on this forum) for any diesel work. He is a trained and experienced diesel tech. I use Jeffco Radiator in Lakewood for my radiator work.

Robbie went camping this weekend but he will be around on monday I'm sure.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
kittredge radiator is also another recommendation on radiator service.
I forgot to mention that Jeffco Radiator was formerly Kittredge Auto Radiator; I had used them for many years. They moved from Colfax in Golden to Harlan St. & 1st in Lakewood. (303) 225-9375. I used them last around a year ago. Good folks, professional service. Obviously you save a lot by bringing them your radiator instead of having them do the R&R.

Does anyone know how mucha a BJ/FJ40 rad recore or rebuild might cost?

Thanks!

Kraig

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Does anyone know how mucha a BJ/FJ40 rad recore or rebuild might cost?

Thanks!

Kraig

Generally speaking, they will boil it out, perform minor repairs (like re-brazing the seam from the tank to the rods) and put a quick coat of paint on it for around $80-$100.