Question for guys with Marlin Ultimate

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
My measurements are also useless. all 3 of my shifters have customized levers to get them to come up where I wanted them to be.

The R151F transmission shifter comes up about 3 inches forward from the R150 transmission shifter. This puts it in the middle of my RADIO. So that one gets customized.

The next case is a 4.7 reduction box. That shifter is customized about 3 inches back so it doesn't interfere with the relocated tranny shifter.

The final case is a stock R151F reduction box and 4x4 box. That shifter is relocated about an inch and a half to come up in the stock "cup holder." area of the stock console.

In summary: You can pretty much make the shifters come up wherever you want. I think you'll have plenty of room with the cup holders pulled. You MAY be able keep 1 or both of 'em with a customized shifter. But the shift boots never fit right with customized shifters.

(Mine haven't been screwed down in years and a lot of hot air blows up around those boots!)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I ran a 22RE for a good bit, so I wouldn't overgeneralize on that. Stock low range is killer in snow and good for many wheeling situations.

So you decided to go with a single tcase because of a cupholder?!? D00d, you can fashion many cupholder configurations that will be serviceable. As important as a cupholder is, they are like people: come in many shapes from many sources. :lmao:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Dave, I agree with every one that the duals are awesome.

However, I've wheeled pretty hard for the last 1.5 years with just a single 4.7 case. As stated, aside from the crossmember, you aren't losing anything by going with the single 4.7 case. Its not like if you decide to go duals, you'll have to get rid of stuff. You can simply add to it, and be fine.

You can wind it out in 5th gear on the easy sections of trails. It'll go about 30 mph. Snow bashing will be hard, but I never did much of that anyway, so no worries for me. If you do a lot of it, then fine. But for just normal driving, it is easy.

For any sort of trail wheeling, it is AWESOME. You can drop it into first, and just go slow over the rough parts. No bouncing, no clutch slipping, just slow and steady.

Also, you can hold off on the crossmember for a while. Just use the stock one until you find a deal on a budbuilt or similar.

Having the stock low range and the double low is sweet, to be sure, but you can always go that road later on.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I see. No, it doesn't sound stupid when the entire situation is considered. Yours is a std. cab, right? Tight. Lots of guys go the single tcase route and are happy.

I too get the creature comfort thing. The Chili is pretty darn comfy and the missus has a cupholder, and I do too. The whole package was a design goal.