• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Quest for the right motorcycle to carry on the back of the 80.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I bought a Yamaha tw200.
I’ve got a Honda ct110 trail.
But I love my lite little 1965 Honda S90
So I think I’ll look for a Honda CL90.
Anybody ride the new Honda CT125?
They’re impossible to find right now…
I think the tw200 is a better bike anyway but they are still very appealing.
Then there is the Honda ct70, hmm.
Pics to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_2236.jpeg
    IMG_2236.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 92

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I had a Honda Trail 125 on order for over 2 years, but when I finally got the call it was ready for delivery last year I was in the middle of a 6 week work trip and couldn't do it. I personally love the Yamaha XT250 which is old school but fuel injected and has front/rear disks and a low seat height and ~75mpg. It's not a hard core bike by any means, but these days I like to just have fun and take it easy. My last dirt bike was a modded (and barely street legal) CRF250X and it was a blast but was more bike than I need - and very tall/top heavy.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I had a Honda Trail 125 on order for over 2 years, but when I finally got the call it was ready for delivery last year I was in the middle of a 6 week work trip and couldn't do it. I personally love the Yamaha XT250 which is old school but fuel injected and has front/rear disks and a low seat height and ~75mpg. It's not a hard core bike by any means, but these days I like to just have fun and take it easy. My last dirt bike was a modded (and barely street legal) CRF250X and it was a blast but was more bike than I need - and very tall/top heavy.
Man, wish you had grabbed that 125! @jack-the-ripper has an xt225 and loves it. He turned my onto the tw200.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
A TW200 weighs about 50 lbs more (about 275 lbs dry) than an XT225 (about 225 lbs dry), which is getting up there for what (I assume) you're thinking for a hitch carrier. It's not so much on pavement but if you're thinking over less good roads that's a lot of bouncing weight.

If your intention is only getting to a trailhead then it's obviously less important. Most of the better carriers are good to about 400 to 500 lbs in smooth conditions.

BTW, both are fun and really fine for dragging along but the TW200 is a special kind of fun. The downside is the rear tire is a PITA but if you don't need DOT legal there's ATV options.

Last edited:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Man, wish you had grabbed that 125!

I remember the call - I was in Durango in the van and it was raining crazy hard. The salesperson was shocked I was declining it because I had called every few months for literally 2 years, but she said she could only hold it for 3 days and I was about to board a flight to NY for the R1S media launch. Bummer timing for sure!

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
A TW200 weighs about 50 lbs more (about 275 lbs dry) than an XT225 (about 225 lbs dry), which is getting up there for what (I assume) you're thinking for a hitch carrier. It's not so much on pavement but if you're thinking over less good roads that's a lot of bouncing weight.

If your intention is only getting to a trailhead then it's obviously less important. Most of the better carriers are good to about 400 to 500 lbs in smooth conditions.

BTW, both are fun and really fine for dragging along but the TW200 is a special kind of fun. The downside is the rear tire is a PITA but if you don't need DOT legal there's ATV options.
I’ll keep the tw200 for its own sake but may build something like this for the back of the 80

Attachments

• IMG_2279.jpeg
    IMG_2279.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 71

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I have a KLR250 Super Sherpa and hitch carrier but haven’t used it for years due to not being a fan of the carrier. Hope to build one to meet my needs.

My current “event” bike is a vintage 2008 Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter. I haul it in my trailer to different events as my “pit bike” for goofing off…. Like right now! Hanging a Valley of the Gods and exploring the back road while heading to OE 2023 in Flagstaff!
Super tough little, lightweight run about that can carry 2-up and cruise at 50 mph.

IMG_2255.jpeg
IMG_2259.jpeg
IMG_2264.jpeg

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I have a KLR250 Super Sherpa and hitch carrier but haven’t used it for years due to not being a fan of the carrier. Hope to build one to meet my needs.

My current “event” bike is a vintage 2008 Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter. I haul it in my trailer to different events as my “pit bike” for goofing off…. Like right now! Hanging a Valley of the Gods and exploring the back road while heading to OE 2023 in Flagstaff!
Super tough little, lightweight run about that can carry 2-up and cruise at 50 mph.
IMG_2259.jpeg
IMG_2263.jpeg
IMG_2264.jpeg
IMG_2267.jpeg

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
We have an Xr400 that we swapped an 18" front rim onto. It's stupid fun and weights about the same as the TW200. I still don't know how we haven't owned a tw200 though.
1684290875727.png

jack-the-ripper

Wincher
Just did 400+ miles on my '99 XT225 during Cruise Moab. Kokopelli (including Rose Garden), Steel Bender, Kane Creek, Slickrock, Fins and Things, Hell's Revenge, and Schaefer single track, plus more. I have it geared low, exhaust and air box mod, upped spring preload, and it takes a ton of abuse. I jump it, drop it, and then ride it 2 hours on the highway. Super awesome bike.
20230421_085529.jpg

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
My wife has the new version of that Ducati.
The Ducati is pure awesome. Both new and old are.

Although the desert sled version might be more true to the original idea of a scrambler.

Desert-Sled-360_1.jpg

Fun fact, the 1970 Jupiter is a 450 making 27 HP and weighed 310 lbs dry. A 2023 Suzuki DR-Z400S is a, well, a 400 and makes about 32 HP, and weighs 319 lbs dry.

Both still have carbs, too.

Second fun fact, a 2023 DR-Z400 costs $896 less. Still made in Japan, too.

Only 1% as cool.

Which is I suppose appropriate if the KLR is the Cruiser then it would be it's smaller, slower, even more boring little brother mini truck that just runs for decades with oil and gas.

2023_DR-Z400S_Yel_Studio_Hero_2500x1227.jpg

Last edited:

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Any recommendations on hitch mounted carriers? All my bikes are sub-400 lbs

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member

I have a homemade steel version of the Joe Hauler. I’ve had it for 18 years and hauled several different bikes on it over the years. I’ve always been interested in trying the Ultimate MX Hauler because it removes the suspension from the equation when mounted. I have seen a bike come loose (not mine) and fall off of a tray style carrier due to the suspension compressing over a bump and allowing the strap to come undone. Mostly operator error, but it can happen.

If I were buying one, I would think about the MotoTote or Ultimate MX Hauler.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
The Ducati is pure awesome. Both new and old are.

Although the desert sled version might be more true to the original idea of a scrambler.

View attachment 115494
Having ridden the Desert sled, it feels much more dirt bike like, sort of like a KLR weighed down a little with all the horsepower you could ever want. If it were up to me, we would have the Desert Sled, but it just sits too tall for my wife, and she has a dirt bike she likes.

In reality, I still long for my 1993 BMW R100 GSPD, It's like an 80 series reincarnated.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
FYI, there was some relevant discussion about hitches and carriers here:

It’s not 1:1 to a MTB rack because to get the heavy weight you also get a longer moment (lever) but still be cognizant of the forces involved.
Thanks for bringing this up, I'm still looking for a good solution for the 80 without the hitch.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Bruce “60wag” has/had one like the ultimate MX carrier and we took his KTM 450 over some of E-Hill with it behind my old 60 one night. It seemed to work well. Maybe he can chime in

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
How about a Monkey 50 hitched on a 3rd gen Prelude. Taken directly from the Joe Hauler site, lol. :love:
image014.jpg

This also reminds me of the Honda Turbo City II and the Moto Compo.

1981_honda_city-turbo-ii-with-motocompo_1981_honda_city-turbo-ii-with-motocompo_550997a9-21fb-4980-b16b-e389d64c796f-tqaOfa-scaled.jpg