• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Promaster 2016 Oil Consumption

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
I know this isn't a Toyota, but I am sure y'all can help.

I am helping a friend who has a kitted out 2016 Promaster 3.6 Pentastar gasser, (camper van). She's having an oil consumption issue, over 500 miles the oil drops below the dip stick. I recommended a compression test, which I was going to do saw the amount of work and suggested a shop. She takes it to a shop that does work on camper vans and they say that these engines consume oil and that it's not a concern. They give her a quote to try an diagnose the codes (low oil pressure and brake booster system) and only offer a comp test for peace of mind. I am confused why this is their recommendation. What say ye?

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
What does that translate to in quarts?

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
What does that translate to in quarts?
I'm not exactly sure, but to burn enough to drop below the dipstick is concerning no matter the units. I would guess that there is probably a quart or two in the sump below the dipstick so call it 3 quarts in 500 mi

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
My thoughts as well, but just trying to quantify it.

RDub

A quick search turned up a TSB for excessive oil consumption, along with a recall. I couldn’t open the TSB, but maybe a call to Chrysler would be good?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd be surprised if the dipstick low to high range is more than one quart. It's not showing you the full sump height, just dipping the top.

Burning 3 quarts per 500 is well outside any "normal" consumption and would be fogging cars behind her.

Subaru is well known to burn oil and even lost a class action over it. The TSB criteria for a new engine was for 1.1 quarts (or more) consumed in 1200 miles and that is the point the low oil light illuminates.

If there's a TSB that's the way to go. If not, on the Subaru it was piston rings that were the root cause. That's a pretty common reason. On Toyota engines valve stem seals can leak and let oil into the chamber. Could be head gasket, losing that much oil in a HG would seem you'd see it in coolant.

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Matt Radder who owns https://www.garageworksauto.com/ has pro-master experience
They evaluated an accessible one for a friend a few years ago and saved them from a costly purchase mistake.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Put some thicker oil in it.
After the first oil change in our Jetta years ago it started consuming oil fast. I overlooked that the book said to use VW/Audi spec 507 00. The next time I went with Castrol Syntec Euro that carried it and in the decade and 150K since not once ever has it consumed a drop. I don't know what's so special about that but it was key. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Those engines are junk. Italian hot garbage. Neighbor had the engine replaced twice under warranty for oil consumption and low oil pressure. After the 2nd time the oil pump started squirting oil out like a garden hose and he traded it for a HEMI Ram. My FILs Jeep just failed due to oil starvation.

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for all the replies! She hasn't decided what to do quite yet but I am agreeing with the hot garbage take. I wonder if anyone has engine swapped these things