Pre, pre, run.....bang!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
What does it mean when you give it a little too much throttle and the front end goes BANG!! Kinda sounded like Nathaniel on Chinaman's. :eek:

By pre, pre, run I mean, screwing around on the drifts in front of my house. Looks like I may be wrenching before the snow run. I must say though the best breaks are the ones that happen in the driveway.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I just snapped an axle in my driveway! I am so proud of myself. :p:

Either the long side front, the hub, or a longfield. The locker is still working.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
treerootCO said:
I just snapped an axle in my driveway! I am so proud of myself. :p:

Either the long side front, the hub, or the coarse spline pinion. The locker is still working.

Fixed it for ya..... If you were running those absolute POS Newfields it would be an easy guess! Good luck amigo! Need parts let me know....

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
12/78 FJ40 so I have fine spline 4:11s

I would have posted pics sooner but my PC died for a bit. BIOS battery was dead.

I think I have a spare shaft but I am going to need ideas on how to get the stub out of the longfield.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 3333.jpg
    3333.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 190

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I bet those tires are a pain to put back on yourself.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
you mean the stub out of the locker? Stick a magnet down there, maybe instead of all the other metal inside the axle shaft it'll grab the end of the axle. That wasn't a Bobby Longs' inner axle was it?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
treerootCO said:
12/78 FJ40 so I have fine spline 4:11s

I would have posted pics sooner but my PC died for a bit. BIOS battery was dead.

I think I have a spare shaft but I am going to need ideas on how to get the stub out of the longfield.

Ohhhh...please tell me you didn't put the circlip on! With Longs you need to do the "Martack." I would use your stick welder and a long bolt. Use the bolt as the welding rod and "stick it" onto the stub so you have something to pull it out with.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Ouch!!

treerootCO said:
What does it mean when you give it a little too much throttle and the front end goes BANG!! Kinda sounded like Nathaniel on Chinaman's. :eek:

OUCH! I know what that sound means. Bad news! The best breaks are the ones that happen in the driveway. When my longside blew on chinamans, I was 75 miles from my driveway, but the best 4x4 people on the planet got it so I could go home. Then 5 miles after I got home, the bearing in the 3rd went out. Got that fixed, only to be the sole '60 in Moab when my BIL's buddy in his 85 '60 broke his LS on Whipeout Hill. He borrowed the LS out of my 60. He put it back, and my 60 sat until I drove it to and from the outlaws run. I got home to back it into the driveway and have the 3rd member go out AGAIN!! At least I was experienced in taking out the 3rd member and did so in about an hour. Now I'll have to wait for new gears and bearings, and see if it might finally get put back so it will work for a good long while.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
If your looking for 4.11's and the ones from an 80 will work, you can have the ring and pinion from mine. Otherwise, it's going into the CM parts fund.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
man you really trust your floor jack.. no stand?

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Better your driveway than mine! Also, I'm real glad this didn't happen when you were strapping me out the other day. That would have added big injury to insult in the middle of the intersection. Yup, could be interesting getting the stub out.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
subzali said:
you mean the stub out of the locker? Stick a magnet down there, maybe instead of all the other metal inside the axle shaft it'll grab the end of the axle. That wasn't a Bobby Longs' inner axle was it?
nope, he means out of the birf.

is there any way to weld some sort of "t" handle to the chunk to pull it out? or maybe can you get up between the balls to pry it out?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
yeah, that didn't come out very well, did it? :D

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Mike if you need. I have a fine spline longfield. It's in Vail though.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
It was a stock axle that broke and the longfield held up great. One jackstand is under my dad's truck and the other one is somewhere in the backyard under the snow. I haven't tried to get the stub out (of the longfield;)) but I martacked the axles for this exact reason. Hopefully I can work on it sometime this week.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Mike you want to borrow some stands? and a heated garage? trailer that dude up here..

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Is the broken stub short enough to allow you to disassemble the birf like in the manual?