Overland in Alaska - Dalton HWY and beyond?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Anyone here driven the Dalton HWY up to Prudhoe Bay? Is it worth the effort? We are planning a trip now for summer of 2025 and I’m looking for a 6-day overland route. Plan to rent a well equipped rig when we get there. Probably a 5th Gen, RTT, fridge with kitchen kit. Open to any idea originating out of Anchorage. Solo, one truck only. We are going to do a lodge in Homer for a few days first. Traditional tourist stuff.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Been looking at plans on going back to Alaska next summer. Will drive with an RV. Love Alaska. In Homer, just camp on the Spit. Then go fishing an get your 2 halibut, they will filet it for you and you will have fish for weeks. From Homer, I took the ferry to Kodiak Island, one of the highlights of the trip, but it takes some planning and cost. Going north from Anchorage, nice state park before you get to Denali NP, the only time I pulled my gun being scared of a grizzly on a hike around the lake. Loved Fairbanks with its mining history. If you are into it, rent a canoe for a float down the river through town, beautiful clear water, they will shuttle you back to the starting point. Did not go up the Dalton Hwy due to time restraints but got up to Chena Hot springs (nice), with camping. Get to McCarthy and Kennicott for more mining history. Main thing, get off the main roads and get to some of the small towns to see the real Alaska. Have fun.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Looking at renting something like this. Standard array of rental warnings about real offroad use. But with 33’s should handle any road. Definitely want off the beaten path. In Homer we have a lodge booked with offshore fishing options. Also planned a float plane over to Katmai to see the bears. Plan to pick up the overlander after that.

IMG_0758.jpeg

Last edited:

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Katmai is a fantastic experience, other flights options from Homer are also great, Camped with one of their Pilots (Homer Air), free rides with open seat (did, x2). Done Homer 4 summers, 3-5wks at a time, got contacts/leads if needed. Daily (you will) Catch fish limit spots on the Kenai/Soldotna as well as Kasilof river. Half day Halibut tours from Homer "aka" Chicken catch trip", not worth it.
If, you can get a trip over to Halibut cove on a nice day, DO IT. Otherwise Kilcher Homestead something of possible interest.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Cool plan! I’ve never rented a 4wd in Alaska but, have rented enough unique cars to know they will GPS track that vehicle so, do be careful where you take it.
I second Kodiak. Lived there for a year and loved it. I have an Alaska State Trooper buddy on the island if you get into any trouble. Cheers and have a great time!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
That sounds like a fun adventure! I've always wanted to visit Talkeetna, supposedly the inspiration for the town of Cicily in Northern Exposure.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
I've driven all the way. First time was '98 in a K1500 with a 4 wheel pop-up truck camper. Second was '01 and was part of Mark Whatley's 1st Alaska Crusier Trek, F350, Lance truck camper and Fj40 on a trailer. Was with a great bunch of people including the late great Bruce Miller and wife Barb. Great trip! Last trip was '05 with my dad and family friends, in a rented Chevy Trailblazer. It was the last trip my dad and I took together, and his last big trip of his life. 1st 2 I drove up and back, '01 trip put the whole rig on the state ferry in Haines, Ak and got off in Bellingham, Wa. 3rd trip dad and I flew into Anchorage, meet the friends in Fairbanks and drove the haul road to Dead Horse. Thinking of drving the 200 with the teardrop to Dawson City, Yukon. Then to maybe the top of Atigun pass and down to Homer. Maybe next summer or the summer after. Expedition Alaska rents 4runners and I think Tundra's that look to be nicely set up. But they book up for the season fast and early. Correction, Alaska Overlander.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Not officially open to the public for pipeline security, but camping can be done in any pulloff the road, just get to listen to heavy trucks go by all the time. If I remember correctly, there are small turn outs every so often than are close but still deal with road noise.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
If Homer isn't included in your 6 day trip, I'd say go for it. 6 days sounds like a good pace to travel from Anchorage to Deadhorse, and not be overly pressured by your timeline. The drive to Anchorage ->Deadhorse is pretty amazing. The weather should be fantastic that time of the year (June, July). Watch out for August, the rain and 'skeeters'll show up. You'll have a great deal of sunlight May - July. Setting up camp in the dark won't be an issue, especially as you get further North.

Back in 2013, I took a 4 day hunting trip for caribou and it was fast paced. We had stock trucks. I drove it in an '89 Ram 150 I purchased for $500.
1st day - Travel (10+ hours)
2nd day - Arrive in Deadhorse (7-8ish hours), scout/camp
3rd day - Bagged/processed game/Travel (8ish hours)
4th day - Travel/ arrive Anchorage. (10ish hours)

Travel to Homer from Anchorage is ~4-5 hours, and you'll have to make a return trip if you're flying out of Ted Stevens. It's another beautiful drive. While you're in Homer, head down the spit and go to the Salty Dawg saloon. Order an Alaskan White. It's the perfect summer beer. Buy a shirt. Just tourist stuff.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
:beer:🍿 we have been thinking about this for awhile now. Watching and reading!!!