• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Outlaws Run 2005

wesintl

RS Moderator
Backcountry adventures series by peter massey covers what we did last year pretty well. Swazy's cabin, Buckhorn wash, black dragon canyon, etc. It's in the Utah Book; central region. Pass Patrol covers it really well. I also have an extra Emery County Blue book. I might come to the Christo's ARB seminar if there is still room and I can bring you one.

The PDF of the blue book is here http://www.emerycounty.com/travel/brochures/nswellwebdownload.pdf

and UT BLM

Last edited:

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Christo can answer about the thing on monday, it mostly about numbers so he can order enough pizza. so just e-mail him or post you will come. As for emerys book, never heard of it. but I have the other two book as well as a Utah atlas. So I have some things covered. Thanks robbie

wesintl

RS Moderator
It's really more of a flyer or phamplet vs a book.. I found the pdf and the link is above in the previous post. I'm sure Perry or Daniel could provide more info. I thought about getting the one of the books just for the history part of things.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
powderpig said:
If all works out I will be going as well and may stay a few extra days after to wonder around for a bit. I may have ty with me as well. Looks to be a fun area. I have been wanting to get in to this area for a bit. Any books to have with, or just some maps and GPS stuff? later robbiehttp://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/images/icons/icon10.gif

Would be cool if you could make it Robbie. Deff a cool area out there. Pass Patrol has one or two books on the area. The Utah book by Peter Massey has some good info on some of the sites out there. I also have a copy of the Geographic map of the area, although they dont show roads in the wilderness areas(they are open in most of them). Daniel and myslef also got a copy of the San Rafael Motorized Route Designations. The Emery county book Wes is talking about is very well done. Has a couple pages showing different routes to take. Also has a detailed map of the area. I have a few extra and will bring them.

GPS is nice to have for areas like this. Daniel, and I think Ige had them last year. While driving out of Cane wash, Dan pointed out that there would be a turn in about a 1/4 mile. Right after that, I saw a sign with a arrow(and asumed that was the turn). Well sure enough it wasnt as the little wash got to narow for Wes and my rigs :eek: . Also used them the next day to help find a short hiking trail that was not marked all except for the trailhead marker :rolleyes: .......

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i will have my gps again. also, i was going through my cruiser stuff (at the request of tony twiddy) and found pass patrol's vol. one 1987 book, which covers robber's roost, the cassidy trail, the outlaw trail.

larry heck recommends a book called 'the wild bunch at robber's roost" by pearl baker (she grew up there). he also recommends "the outlaw trail" by charles kelly, which includes interviews with "retired" outlaws.

i'm reading up, but while i'm really hoping to go on this trip, there are a few things that may hamper me this year.

bh4rnnr

nuclearlemon said:
i will have my gps again. also, i was going through my cruiser stuff (at the request of tony twiddy) and found pass patrol's vol. one 1987 book, which covers robber's roost, the cassidy trail, the outlaw trail.

larry heck recommends a book called 'the wild bunch at robber's roost" by pearl baker (she grew up there). he also recommends "the outlaw trail" by charles kelly, which includes interviews with "retired" outlaws.

i'm reading up, but while i'm really hoping to go on this trip, there are a few things that may hamper me this year.

Let me know where you find those books. Have been looking for a while but come up emtpy. Last time Dan and I were at the libary, we found about ten diff books on the outlaws. One real cool one talked alot about the region/outlaw trail. I have all the pass patrol books, and is what kinda got me into the outlaws....

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Gas prices!

Filled up the tank on the 80 a few days ago: $60. I don't think I can afford this run. :(

bh4rnnr

Roll Call

Just getting an idea of who is planning on going. I will be leaving Thursday the 6th(might stay in Vail Wed night). Sounds like Daniel will be leaving late afternoon on Thursday. Will be camping at Crystal Geyser Thursday night. Friday will plan on meeting everybody at noon in Green River. Let me know if you plan on attending and what day your going to show up..... Thanks.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
I too will be heading out on thursday(unless I skip the RS meeting). more than likely early in the morn and stop at glenwood springs to soak for a bit. I will not be returning until wed. Do you plan to go to the RS meeting on Wed.? Anyhow I will figure this totally out by next weekend. robbie

bh4rnnr

powderpig said:
I too will be heading out on thursday(unless I skip the RS meeting). more than likely early in the morn and stop at glenwood springs to soak for a bit. I will not be returning until wed. Do you plan to go to the RS meeting on Wed.? Anyhow I will figure this totally out by next weekend. robbie

Yeah, totaly forgot about the meeting. So for anyone planning on leaving thursday the 6th, lets plan on meeting at the geo cut(cant remember the name of it, the place we met at for the Ghost town run) at 9:30. Sound good? And for the late commers on Friday we will meet at the West Winds truck stop in Green River at high noon :D .

Linkie for West winds:http://www.westwindstruckstop.com/

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Outlaws Update

Gas prices :mad: are making me look again at this trip. As said before at $60 a tank - OUCH. BUT, I'm not out yet and a friend wants to join me and split costs.
Assuming I go, I can now leave Thursday night :) . Does that leave anyone who has to go Friday AM?
What is the total count?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i'm looking at thurs night/fri am also...also up in the air with gas prices..same story...i might have a rider lined up...if he goes, i go. if not...tossup.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Photo of the Swell

Last week when I flew to Hawaii (I know, poor Daniel) we flew directly over the San Rafael Swell! Perry and I just evaluated the photos and this one is the San Juan River and exactly where we will be camping. Will you look at that geography! Woo Hoo!

Attachments

• San Rafael Swell.JPG
    San Rafael Swell.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 234

bh4rnnr

Yeah, I thought that was a way cool pic to. It's actualy the San Rafael River though ;) . The Upper Black Box is where we hiked in on Sunday last year(you know the one with out any trail markers :rolleyes: ). Swazy's leap(we will be going ther this year) is south of Mexican Mountain. Have some cool facs on the Castle Gate Robbery and where Butch and the banndits went in the Swell on there way to Robbers Roost after the hold up.

Last edited:

Vitesse_6

Wasatch Cruisers
Pardone my intrusion...
Im considering meeting up with you guy/gal's for the Sun. run, Its been talked about at through Wasatch Cruisers, There seems to be a few interested, My hang up will be that I wouldnt have been home for a week, I dont know IF the wife or kids would be willing to spend another day on the road.
So, My question is...What are the aprox. times for meeting? where? and the like.
I may be blathering on...Its late and Ive had a few too many, I may just need to reread the last few pages.

bh4rnnr

Vitesse_6 said:
Pardone my intrusion...
Im considering meeting up with you guy/gal's for the Sun. run, Its been talked about at through Wasatch Cruisers, There seems to be a few interested, My hang up will be that I wouldnt have been home for a week, I dont know IF the wife or kids would be willing to spend another day on the road.
So, My question is...What are the aprox. times for meeting? where? and the like.
I may be blathering on...Its late and Ive had a few too many, I may just need to reread the last few pages.

Brian, thanks for posting. I have not heard back from you guys in a while so i didnt know if we were still gonna plan on meeting up Sunday. For Sunday we were thinking about maybe getting up to the noerthern are above Mexican Mountain. Hard to tell if anyroads go in that arear from the maps we have. National Geographic doesnt show anything due to Wilderness, and the travel map doesnt cover that area... But from the terrain layout, it looks like something that could be fun to check out.

Another possibility is we could Do Eagle Canyon. There was a road right near the end that looked very interesting following along the cliffs edge. Looks liked it Might go to westbound I-70. Then check out Copper Globe mine and shepp hearders end etc.... I'll talk with Dan more and let you guys know.

Vitesse_6

Wasatch Cruisers
This is what I have read so far...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Perry Loughridge of Rising Sun

"Hi Dave, hope things are well. Just was wanting to touch base with you and see if you guys are going to be able to meet up with us at some point??
Still need to figure out Sunday. We will be doing Fixit Pass/Devils Race Track/South Fork Coal wash/ San Rafael river on Saturday. Planning on a late start sunday then maybe pack up and head south. I'd like to stay north for one more day. Just tryin to figure out some good areas to go. The wedge is cool, but we did go there last year..... Anyway, let me know what your guys plans are then maybe we can work around that..

-Perry"

Anyone interested in hooking up in the Swell Sunday on the way home from Moab with Rising Sun? Any of you Swell geniuses want to propose a run? Part of me wants to maybe work my way up to Skyline Drive. I'd really like to do this but just need some suggestions on trails.
dmc
1997 FZJ80 - Ruby Claire
Wasatch Cruisers Pontiff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am interested. havent cruised through the swell yet, so i dont have any suggestions.

e

FJ40 - now with extra stopping power!

Crack Canyon, which is down by Goblin Valley looks like it would be interesting, though all I know abou tit is that it's rampant with ATV's.
Black Dragon Canyon is cool, but it's not very techincal.

I know of some GREAT hikes out there.

I will see if anyone else might be interested, Need to keep it fresh on there minds :D I will need to do a bit of greasing on my part to make it.
Have fun

bh4rnnr

Cool, thanks Brian. Oh and where is Skyline Drive?? Gonna go look at a map now.

Vitesse_6

Wasatch Cruisers
bh4rnnr said:
Cool, thanks Brian. Oh and where is Skyline Drive?? Gonna go look at a map now.
I have no idea where Skyline drive is, You will need to ask DMC about that, Ive been to the swell a few times but its been years and mostly just wandering the roads.
Good luck