• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

old cast iron

simps80

Rising Sun Member
a few updates, I am drilling down on this probably too far...but I have no old fj40s or fj45s to drill into..so it is what it is...
acquired a couple more..
this is no name made un the usa pan I got for about 9 bucks I think...
and the lid of my dutch oven I had screwed up...
down to bare gray cast...sand, wire wheel, and back up 4 coats blah as previoulsy documented...

20200329_130832.jpg
20200329_214744.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I have now overwhelmed the cabnets.
My nice kiddos have caught onto my latest obsession...Saturday was my 45th birthday..
they bought me a Griswold 910A 25" commercial grade griddle that was bare cast....
guessing they paid full boat reatil on ebay, cause they are uber hard to find...
will build this one up next...

20200418_124916.jpg
20200418_125701.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
so I had to do something about it...the kitchen is full, and I want more.
and I have been watching a ton of restoration videos on youtube that get a ton of views...
not just cast iron, but vises, clamps, tools toys, etc on and on...
I have realized over time..if I started filming and editing some of these things I go through, it would be beneficial.
so I started building out an area to film this stuff and to store it for rotation into the cooking lineup.
I have endless materials, my Dad died 5 years ago, I have sooo many tools and such to restore, he owned a Chevron dealership in Belcaro in the 70s then spent 40 years working at the Denver Branch of Mack Trucks..between his 2 tool boxes and Hannahs grandpas stuff who came back from ww2 to work 50 years at a chevrolet dealership, I feel like a steward of some cool things that deserve preservation in addition to my latest cast iron habit...

So I am going to try to build out this corner, and restore, document, just preserve this corner of my personal and family history, and the grand shared history of Americas peak of uber high quality cast. Both cooking and tools, and everything else...

20200420_180316.jpg
20200420_180807.jpg
20200420_182422.jpg

Last edited:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
so back on topic mostly...
I am going to use the spare inventory from the kitchen overflow, to provide a worthy backdrop for future productuon, and also as storage waiting to rotate into the kitchen...

so..heres the backup stage props..
and current production daily cookware...

current rotation is a griswold circa 1940s 12" skillet.
current production stargazer 10" just cause it needs more build up
and a circa 1970s lodge dutch oven
about 1 more month and we will rotate in the others...
20200420_190053.jpg
20200420_204309.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
You are a talented man!

BTW...I have an old 40 you can work on if you get too bored! ;)

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
This both does and doesn't have to do with old cast iron, but have you ever read that there is a demand for old steel because of background radiation present in new steel produced with normal methods? Certain scientific experiments and medical devices cannot use steel produced in the past 75 years because there is more radiation present starting from the detonation of the first atomic bomb and forward in time. It wouldn't be harmful to health, but I bet the same could be said of old cast iron from before the 16th of July 1945 at 5:26 am.

http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/...uild-medical-scanners-from-sunken-battleships

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Does anyone have any expereince welding a cast iron skillet? Our beloved skillet now has a crack and I would like to resurrect it. This piece has been in the family for a very log time. You can see the serpentine crack in the picture. The skillet does not appear to be warped at all.
7ED4D8A7-4E8F-4EE5-8516-2DAFDF8CC376.jpeg

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Never welded a skillet but welded a few cast iron pieces. Should be possible. The weld will have a lot of nickle and probably won’t season the same as the rest of the pan...

You’re also looking at a complete strip to bare metal also... gotta do that to get a good weld.

maybe not a big deal?

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Never welded a skillet but welded a few cast iron pieces. Should be possible. The weld will have a lot of nickle and probably won’t season the same as the rest of the pan...

You’re also looking at a complete strip to bare metal also... gotta do that to get a good weld.

maybe not a big deal?
I’ve never welded any cast iron. @rover67 would you be willing to give it a go? I also realize it needs to be completely stripped.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
It kinda scares the crap outta me honestly... I mean its a family heirloom. My track record is not great, it's more of a weld, grind, weld grind sometimes and rarely it's a good bead and done. Usually on stuff I'm trying to save but not critical. Maybe @AxleIke has done cast iron? You can TIG it using a cast iron (nickle 55/99 or whatever) arc welding rod with the coating chipped off, or stick weld it. I have had better luck stick welding.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Just wondering, can a normal weld handle repeated 500 degree heat cycling? I just hadn't ever thought about it before.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I think so, stuff like exhaust manifolds are welded often and hold up fine.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Mind you I have zero first hand successful experience on cookware but in school they had us weld cast iron test pieces in a couple of courses, once using oxy-acetylene (this is really brazing) and once stick welding. Cookware is usually gray cast iron, which is the type we practiced on.

For arc you'd use a high nickel electrode. Lincoln recommends 55Ni in their guidelines:
https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/welding-cast-iron-detail.aspx

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/ass...ickElectrodes-Softweld-Softweld55Ni/c8059.pdf

They also make 55Ni in MIG wire but even just a 2 lbs spool is $150.

Using oxy-fuel filler you'd want an RCI filler:
https://www.brazing.com/Pdf/castiron/RCI.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/RCI-Welding-Cast-Iron-Repair/dp/B01D91WGI0 (out of stock naturally)

Success is completely how much time you take to clean and prep. Grind the crack into a bevel then clean, clean, clean. We pre-heated the whole piece. Pre-heating will be tricky since you'd have to be careful heating a pan hot enough (which is ideally 1,000°F) without warping it. So I'd go close to the minimum (usually 500°F) and be careful not to put in more heat than necessary while welding.

The school had ovens to control the heating and cooling rate. The AWS has a specification for it, like 200°F/hour or something like that.

I bet you could put it in a kitchen oven to pre-heat well. Our oven will get to 550°F anyway. Put it in cold and let it go at max for a while to make sure it's completely soaked. Then put the piece back in after welding, turn the oven temperature down over the span of a couple of hours. Kind of like you'd do when seasoning it.

Most people use a torch to pre-heat, that's the way it's been done since Moses first struck an arc anyway. Controlled cooling then being done by leaving it buried in the kid's sand box all day. Being a family heirloom I'd at least try to do it scientifically, even if it's just kitchen DIY science, though.

In theory you could knock the flux off a 55Ni stick and use it to TIG but I'd be careful trying to TIG because the heat would be awful focused, which is just what to do not want with cast iron. OTOH you could control it well, precise and quick. Maybe do the crack in a couple of cycles.

There's the universal silicon-bronze fillers. That almost always sort of works to TIG anything to anything. It's sort of high temperature brazing, not quite really welding.

Me? I'd call John Henley, at least for advice.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
We had to repair a cast gear box recently.

The welder at my work heated the area to be welded to about 600 deg.
Then tig welded with high nickel rod.
Do a small weld and then peen it with a hammer. Keep doing this until the spot is welded.
Apply heat and cool gradually over a couple hour period.
File smooth.

The repair looked really good when he was done.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Yeah. I'll have to dig out some analog photos of those events. I swear some of them were probably the 90 gal ones! Thanks for the link.

Some of them were very cool. Kinda a hunters version of a fish fry. They'd get started early with several guys donating some game meat, let it cook all day while adding veggies, wine, etc....and the ladies would cook these massive biscuits so by the time everyone showed up you had this steaming bowl of stew and biscuits round a firePit. The bigger ones would have live music. Good times

Well, didn't get me a 90 gal cast iron pot but got me a really cool 3 gal gumbo, 30 Ib pot while in a really cool old hardware store in Natchitoches, Louisiana last week. Hope to make some beef stews this winter in it! Heck, even got the gumbo paddle to stir it with.....mmmmmm

7F505B50-79D0-4567-8EAB-0BB50784FD62.jpeg
A3B0FB46-5A59-40AF-B010-F002E72A911E.jpeg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Natchitoches. Been there many times when I was stationed in Shreveport! Probably a really great place to pick up cheap cast iron.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Natchitoches. Been there many times when I was stationed in Shreveport! Probably a really great place to pick up cheap cast iron.

How bout those Lasyones meat pies!?! Beautiful riverside town. We explored from New Orleans to Memphis by back roads and along the Mississippi last week. Incredible part of America with real history, beautiful and friendly people and incredible food!

55E2B6F9-91BE-49C8-9816-52A191C88AE5.jpeg
10FF6B79-00EE-4C38-908B-BE014B564A92.jpeg
977C7A99-9706-4E0C-AE70-98642A412F32.jpeg
7880F154-728A-4955-B468-F774424CB021.jpeg

Attachments

• 600ACFE7-88CB-4FC5-8CB1-17AD8714B5BB.jpeg
    600ACFE7-88CB-4FC5-8CB1-17AD8714B5BB.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 140
  • 8D057AD8-46CB-4C8C-B10F-36D06D3D94E1.jpeg
    8D057AD8-46CB-4C8C-B10F-36D06D3D94E1.jpeg
    469.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 72D34823-3590-43C4-812F-C4C061BB74B5.jpeg
    72D34823-3590-43C4-812F-C4C061BB74B5.jpeg
    875 KB · Views: 154

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
My cast pan has a texture to it. I recently watched a vid where they ground and polished the surface to a mirrored finish. I still have sticking issues after cooking bacon, steak and other meats and it is weeeellllll seasoned! Is the texture the thing holding me back from a non-stick surface?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Well, didn't get me a 90 gal cast iron pot but got me a really cool 3 gal gumbo, 30 Ib pot while in a really cool old hardware store in Natchitoches, Louisiana last week. Hope to make some beef stews this winter in it! Heck, even got the gumbo paddle to stir it with.....mmmmmm
Just found it on the Bayou Classic website. That's a cool pot! They have a bunch of cast iron but most of it is sold out.