old cast iron

simps80

Rising Sun Member
ok I'll go
usin the lodge tonight...

found this one not too long ago thought I would try it...
really good, like really but better in the fall for football weather

cup of fresh basil 6 or 7 leaves of sage diced
a pound of small yellow golds halved
7 or 8 sausages of choice
half a sliced onion
1 clove of garlic sliced thin
10 or so small assorted sweet peppers, cut stems and seeds removed.

brown sausages on all sides but not cooked... used the skillet..saved the grease and addes back in during below process...

couple tbsps of olive oil into the dutch oven.., bring to temp just prior to smoke...
dump onions, peppers, sausages, sage, garlic in dutch oven on medium heat till onions cooked...stir as reqd

can of dark beer goes in, bring to simmer

drop heat to mid low
put lid on let simmer for 45 mins
add beer as necessary to keep simmering.

remove from heat add fresh basil, salt pepper to taste
stir in

put lid back on no heat for 5 to 10 mins and serve

real good

yum1.jpg

yum2.jpg

on the cast iron front...

acid is bad (from the peppers)
but starch (from the potatoes) is really good

the oven cleaned up no problem and gained a bit of seasoning it appears overall

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Looks like you're using on a glass stovetop? I thought that was a no-no? Big reason why I'm hesitant to use cast iron in the house.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Looks like you're using on a glass stovetop? I thought that was a no-no? Big reason why I'm hesitant to use cast iron in the house.

Why is that we use ours on a glass stove top every day

subzali

Hard Core 4+

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Why is that we use ours on a glass stove top every day

I would think you would need to be really careful sliding the heavy cast pans on the stovetop just for scratching the glass/enamel?

ToyodaTocco

Hard Core 4+
I had always heard this too but I believe the glass tops now are rated for cast iron. Also, good luck trying to find an electric stove that isn't glass top nowadays.

Edit: We just bought a Samsung Electric glass top and use cast iron exclusively.
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00045483/

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I always thought the glass top stoves needed pots and pans that were perfectly flat on the bottom -- and that was the reason to not use cast iron.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
thats a good reason to not use warped cast iron for sure,
thats why I dont want to buy cast sight unseen

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Speaking of cast iron, I have this cast iron kettle. We were going to take it to scrap, but I realized someone here might be interested. I do not know what brand it is. It has a bell on the lid and looks like it has a chip out of the end of the spout on one side. Any takers? I am in Parker.

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_122724.jpg
    IMG_20180722_122724.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20180722_122732.jpg
    IMG_20180722_122732.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20180722_122737.jpg
    IMG_20180722_122737.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 157

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Well shoot Chris, about 6 years ago I was looking for something just like this. We intended to use it to boil water on the wood stove to humidify the room. We don't have a wood stove anymore but hopefully someone can use it.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
That kettle is interesting. Can't seem to find exactly what it is. It looks vaguely like a Whiteman & Cox kettle but the body shape, lid and handle aren't quite right. It also kind of looks like the ones made in Chattanooga in the Reconstruction, like a Gibson-Lee (sometimes called a Star 8 or #8) or Mountain City Stove kettle. I'd guess it's from Chattanooga and if it's not a real Gibson or derivative of that line it's a copy of it (IOW a reproduction, maybe modern). Maybe someone can figure it out, with the bell on the lid.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Speaking of cast iron, I have this cast iron kettle. We were going to take it to scrap, but I realized someone here might be interested. I do not know what brand it is. It has a bell on the lid and looks like it has a chip out of the end of the spout on one side. Any takers? I am in Parker.

Wed be interested if you get no other takers. Like Dave says, it would be far nicer on our wood stove, than the 70’s aluminum pot we use now!
Thanks
Abe

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Wed be interested if you get no other takers. Like Dave says, it would be far nicer on our wood stove, than the 70’s aluminum pot we use now!
Thanks
Abe

Hi Abe, Sure. It's yours. PM me with your contact info and address. I am in Parker.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

DanInDenver

Trail Ready

Attachments

• WIN_20190203_08_45_02_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190203_08_45_02_Pro.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 138

subzali

Hard Core 4+
That’s the one I was looking at getting.

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
The French have been cooking with carbon steal pans for decades, the last kitchen I ran I got ride of the cheapo(but still worthy) aluminum sauté pans for all carbon steal pans ( 6inch- 14inch). at home I have a handful of of them and have 2 that are copper and steal(primo). Nothing beats cast iron in my professional opinion which is my go to at home along with my "le cruesets". I deffently love my all steal pans for camping! ........ "the right tool for the job" equally applays to the kitchen. They make heavy bottom ones and not so heavy bottom ones.

I prefer the ones the are riveted together instead of the ones that are tacked together

Attachments

• IMG_0300.PNG
    IMG_0300.PNG
    211.1 KB · Views: 139

rover67

Rising Sun Member
So whats the consensus on oil for seasoning? Flaxseed oil? I got a new pan over the holidays and need to strip and re-season, also gonna do some of my nastier pieces while i'm at it.

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
Can’t go wrong w flaxseed for seasoning/curing..... for cooking I would recommend something with a higher smoke point

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So whats the consensus on oil for seasoning? Flaxseed oil? I got a new pan over the holidays and need to strip and re-season, also gonna do some of my nastier pieces while i'm at it.
There's all manner of thought. High smoke point, polymerizing, etc. It's all valid in theory but my $0.02 is prep and any decent oil is fine then repeat periodically. I've used olive, canola, almond, flax, avocado (I don't recommend avocado) and what I find is all eventually require re-season anyway since I don't eat much meats so I don't really treat it well. Butter and olive oil aren't substitutes for bacon...

So point is, meh. Unless you plan to test in a lab for absolute hardness in the real world I just use whatever I have on hand that had the highest smoke point.

Btw I don't subscribe to only using wood, I think metal is supposed to work the surface, smoothing high spots, burnishing it. Just don't dig hard. And if your season is good stuff won't be sticking.