Oil...What to run in an 80 in my situation?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ok...So I've been running Mobil 1 0W40 in the LX and LC. Due to the extended warranty requirements on the LX I have to maintain a 3mo/3000 mile oil change interval which I probably would anyway.

I had this interaction on MUD with Cary in the recent "filter size" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23
Cary,

I'm using Mobil 1 0W40 as recommended to me. Last change was maybe 2500 miles ago and done just before CM07 so less than 3 months ago. Will be changing the oil in the next few weeks despite many stating with synthetics you can go longer. My aftermarket warranty requires that I follow the 3 month/3000 mile rule so no biggie.

What is wierd is that I've owned the rig since last November and have never heard it make this noise before. First time I heard it was about 10 days ago on startup at a house up in Grand Lake CO (~8500') while on vacation. Seems wierd that I'm hearing it now
confused.gif

I'm guessing it is something else besides startup rattle. Given your intervals, I would suggest you consider going to the Rotella or Chevron Delo 15w-40 summer, and 5w-30 in the winter. There is no point running a synthetic for the short intervals, you are just spending unnecessary money.​

The "noise" issue aside, would you other 80 series owners run something else than Mobil 1 0W40 due to the shorter oil change intervals? Honestly I always have a hard time meeting the 3mo/3000 mile interval on mileage. Typically I don't reach 3000 miles until 4-5 months because I have such a short commute each day (10 miles RT).

If the answer is yes what would you run or would you go with what Cary states to use (as I understand it he is the MUD oil "expert").

TIA :thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If I was driving less than 3000 miles every three months, but forced to change my oil every three months to maintain a warranty, I'd use some nice dino oil. Synthetic oil is nice, but 4 oil changes/year with <12,000 miles doesn't warrant the expense, IMO.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Ditto...

Of course, I don't have a warranty of any sort... so I use Mobile 1. :hill:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I have to ask- why are you guys running 0W? It's not spec'd is it?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member