Official Ouray Trip Info.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
We are planning a wheeling trip to Ouray, Sept. 1st to the 4th.

Itinerary is pretty much the same as we've done in year's past. Day one, Saturday, is Black Bear into Telluride for lunch then back to Ouray over Imogene Pass. Day two could be Poughkeepsie Gulch, Engineer Pass, Corkscrew Gulch, and California Gulch. Other passes we've done are Ophir Pass and Cinnamon Pass into Lake City for lunch.

We are camping at the 4J's+1+1 Campground in Ouray. They can be reached at 970-325-4418. or go to www.coloradodirectory.com/4j11rvpark. 4J's is close to the hot springs pool in Ouray.

Paul and Heather May from the Wasatch Club will be joining us on this run and we look forward to having lots of fun.

Wheeling in the Ouray area of the San Juan's isn't hard core. A capable driver with a stock rig in good operating condition will be able to do all the trails mentioned here. This area is very scenic and full of history. The museum in Ouray is top shelf. Plan on soaking in the hot springs pool following our trip over Imogene Pass.

Please post if you plan on joining us so we can keep an eye out for you in Ouray.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Thanks Bruce, was waiting to here from the planners before I gave my vacation time. Am planning on going out for a week. Yes, I WILL be there this year, in the runner:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Looking forward to it. Anygood suggestions for a good base camp before the crowd shows?

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
I'm planning on getting there 8-30 in the evening sometime and heading home monday. We will most likely stay in the Ampitheater campground (reserveamerica.com) just south of town.

Ouary Trip, sept. 1 - 4th

Hi bruce,iam doug tebbe,fairly new dude still,voted in at july mtg.,anyway
yes we plan on coming down if my wife can get the sept. 1st off,she is a
teacher for denver schools,ill let her know,but they dont go back until aug.
23 or 25th! also should we make reservations now for the camp ground
you have listed in your thread? any all info will be appreciated,thxs.

Doug Tebbe/Tacoma 96, 4inch lift,arb rear locker,headers,gibson exhaust
k/n FPIK klt,32x11.50x15 pro comp mud terrians,sliders

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Wes, Can you make this a sticky?

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Hey, Doug, sounds good that you and your wife might be able to join us in Ouray. You may want to call the 4J's RV campground and make reservations. You can always cancel if you have to. We haven't stayed at the 4J's ourselves, but chose them because of the skunk problem at the KOA in Ouray. I hope the 4J's works out for us.

There are many RV campgrounds north of Ouray, between Ouray and Montrose, but then you're driving further to meet the group in Ouray. I've heard a lot of good things about the Forest Service campground on the south side of Ouray, Ampitheatre Campground, but they were always booked when I tried to get a spot. The 4J's is very close to the hot springs pool and we thought that was kind of neat since the pool is a great place to end the day.

We look forward to seeing you in Ouray. We'll name a meeting place in a future post to this forum.

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
I checked this morning and if anybody wants to there are still 9 sites at the amphitheater campground. We stayed there last summer and it is a very nice campground. Sites 4-13 are the best for tents. It is about 1-2 miles south of Ouray.

ben

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm possibly in for this run. My wife is checking to see if we can "visit" her family in Cedaredge over Labor Day weekend. Then maybe I'll get my father-in-law to ride shotgun with me. If he goes, we'll probably stay in a hotel. I don't think he's done any camping since 'Nam.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I had a chat with the wife. If I get the baby room done before hand i'm in for both Ouray and Triple bypass.:bowdown:

I have alot of work between now and the rally. Hopefully I can get my cases back in the 40 one day too :eek:

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Hey, Wes, if you do the Ouray or the TPB trips in your BJ, I'll drive my diesel, too. Whatta you say?

hello all, my name is Mike and ive seen several of you on the board. I would like to ask if it would be alright if I join you for this trip as i am currently living in telluride working for the summer. I would also like to extend an invitation to stay at out hay farm in norwood if any one decides to go that far. nor wood is about 35-40 min out side of telluride heading towards moab. theres not much there but theres 250 acres of land backed up to BLM land to camp on. Any ways i look forward to at least wheeling with you if not camping.

mike

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Mike, you are welcome to join us. I will be posting our meeting place and time soon. Keep an eye out for that. What are you driving, how is your truck setup, have you wheeled any of the trails around Ouray and if so, which ones? We look forward to meeting you.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Bruce Miller said:
Hey, Wes, if you do the Ouray or the TPB trips in your BJ, I'll drive my diesel, too. Whatta you say?

If i'm running short i'm time I'll call you to help me paint the baby room :p: :Princess: :lmao:

Sounds good. I have 2 weeks. I'm confident that will be enough time. :blah:

Bruce Miller said:
Mike, you are welcome to join us. I will be posting our meeting place and time soon. Keep an eye out for that. What are you driving, how is your truck setup, have you wheeled any of the trails around Ouray and if so, which ones? We look forward to meeting you.

My truck is a 96 lx450 same color as Romers, its lifted 2.5 with a front spacer as well, has a arb on the front and a home made bumper in the rear, 33 BFG all terrains, no lockers, no sliders.

I have run several of the trails your looking at doing as i am working for the san miguel county this summer and have done ALOT of work on all the roads and passes. Im sure you dont know this, as not many do not yet, but after last night black bear is closed again. there was a mud slide in early fall and it took us a good 3 weeks to clear it and open it, however after last night hard rain it has washed out again, i may be up there tomarrow so ill know how long it should take us to open it again (not sure if it will be a priority since its so tie consuming) Like i have said i have done many of the runs your looking at doing but it would be great to meet up with you guys , camp and wheel.

cheers
mike

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
That's not good news about Black Bear. That pass is a major attraction to the Ouray trip. Please keep us posted as to the condition of the pass. It sounds like we take it one day at a time. Which month or time of year do the monsoons hit the Ouray/Red Mountain Pass area? Could the guys working for the county give you an indication if they think the road conditions will get worse or better as the summer wears on? Is Black Bear the only pass with concerns? Are there others? Keep us posted, please.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Hey Bruce;

Poughkeeosie gulch if wet! We don't need another Chessman repeat, right Bruce?

Looking forword to the weekend!

Mike Koons
77 fj40 lifted locked ready
89 fj62 lifted locked ready
99 f350 new clutch credit card smoking

baileyfj40 said:
Hey Bruce;

Poughkeeosie gulch if wet! We don't need another Chessman repeat, right Bruce?

Looking forword to the weekend!

Mike Koons
77 fj40 lifted locked ready
89 fj62 lifted locked ready
99 f350 new clutch credit card smoking

Ok black bear wasnt as bad as it was earlier this year, it will be open tomarrow in time for the rotory clubs jeep thing, apperently you can get a permit from the forset service to run black bear backwards (up) whic h i thought was pretty cool. As far as road conditions ill have to ask since im fairly new to the area. However the only realy worry would be black bear as far as i can see. black bear is a very unstable road not like the others which are much wider and have had more work done to them. Ill be sure to keep you updated and i look forward to meeting you all.

mike

Well as per request im here ta update you on black bear again. after heavy rains this afternoon black bear and tomboy are closed. several people are stranded inbetween mid slides on both passes. about 15 people on tom boy and at least 2 on black bear. this slide is much worse then the most recent one and will be closed for a matter of days at the least. ill keep you updated as i will likely be up there tomarrow.

mike

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
If theres still room I'd like to possibly join you guys! I'm still trying to hammer out my schedule (Ouray sounds better than a family reunion ;)), so I'm not 100% for sure yet.... crossing my fingers :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
lx450landcrusier said:
Well as per request im here ta update you on black bear again. after heavy rains this afternoon black bear and tomboy are closed. several people are stranded inbetween mid slides on both passes. about 15 people on tom boy and at least 2 on black bear. this slide is much worse then the most recent one and will be closed for a matter of days at the least. ill keep you updated as i will likely be up there tomarrow.

mike

Wow, this a usual occurance in the San Jauns?