• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

OBA parts

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
OK, UB, all... what check valve do I really need? I have two compressors that seem to work fine, but no check valves. The one above, Jeff, is pretty big (and $$$), I liked the cheapie Nakman posted, but is that the right one?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
OK, UB, all... what check valve do I really need? I have two compressors that seem to work fine, but no check valves. The one above, Jeff, is pretty big (and $$$), I liked the cheapie Nakman posted, but is that the right one?

Here is the unloaderthat I have used in the past from one of the links Jeff posted. As far as dust cap disconnects I believe you want an "M" style. That is the most common.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Post up a link please. I've been to HF, HD, Lowes, Sears, and TZ and they don't have rubber things, and yeah I asked. In fact they don't have check valves either... only filter toolzone had was a dessicant one that's probably the wrong one but I bought it anyway, I will swap it out if it doesn't work out.

But I had forgotten that I managed to order a check valve from the same place I ordered the pressure switch (one o dem OBA jeep places) so I'm good there, except now I want two :rolleyes:
I got my last filter/dryer from Lowes. It's just the small cheapie but seems to work well. On Wildrice I have an oiler on the inflow full of Slick 50 and it gets pulled back out in the dryer (I use a Toy AC compressor....wery high volumn, fits easily but isn't self lubricated.)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Thanks Jeff! and c'mon, Bill, $22? :p: Want to split shipping on these? If we order today I bet we could hook up next Wednesday. Anyone else? Dan? I'll probably get the last one since it's cheapest, looks like I'm buying more fittings no matter what..

Attachments

• check_valve.JPG
    check_valve.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 181

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Tim
I think I have everything I need.
Thanks Dan

Beater

Hard Core 4+
what size air tank is everyone running?

Convert

Hard Core 4+
I am using the rear bumber that I fabricated this winter

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I need to put the OBA together for my 40 but I'm probably not ready yet. :eek:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm running one slider (~2.5 gal) and an additional 3 gal. tank that will be mounted where the spare used to be. I want to be able to fill up floaties, balls, bike tires, etc. while parked w/o turning the truck back on.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Jeff! and c'mon, Bill, $22? :p: Want to split shipping on these? If we order today I bet we could hook up next Wednesday. Anyone else? Dan? I'll probably get the last one since it's cheapest, looks like I'm buying more fittings no matter what..
I need two, that means $44 plus shipping! Naw... too many farkles in the pipeline already, this one has to wait. Or I'll get a cheapie. I need 1/8" NPT anyway...

For a tank, I use my front bumper, works great!

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Nak-

Not trying to start a debate or anything, but why did you decide not to run CO2 instead?

Just curious... not tryin' to stir the pot.

Drew

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I made the switch too... It was inconvenient to run out of CO2 right when you needed it. And it seemed someone always needed some air and had no means of DIY, and I would have felt like a jerk saying "no you can't use my CO2" or "pay me and you can".

Then there's always greenhouse gases.:p:

The kicker? The dadgum CO2 bottle is COLD when you go camping and happen to roll over and rest your leg against it. Frankly I had too much stuff in the truck and the heavy bottle just had to go.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Nak-

Not trying to start a debate or anything, but why did you decide not to run CO2 instead?

Just curious... not tryin' to stir the pot.

Drew

All the reasons Bill mention, to start. CO2 flat out rocks for fast filling, busting pinion nuts off, and remote trim nailer expeditions around the house, can't argue there. But it's a PITFA to get that bottle refilled.. and you never know if you've got enough, so unless you want to mooch, you have to put a "backup" 12v compressor in the truck too, just in case. Well I've had an empty CO2 for over a year now, and have just been using the "backups.."

I've also had this fear that the bottle will get hot, or something will hit the bottle, then the safety blow-off valve will activate and the whole truck will almost instantly fill with CO2. The cabin of an 80 is actually sealed somewhat (not like the 40) so it's possible everyone in the car would asphixiate and all go to sleep, and we wouldn't wake up until a window was opened and fresh O2 comes in the car. I think a rock in a river bed would probably do a good job opening that window.. so would an oncoming vehicle. These are some of the things I think about when I can't sleep...

But the kicker is I want high pressure, unlimited quantity, high quality air any time I want, and the only way to do that well is to have an on board compressor, with lots of storage. I always offer to fill up other trucks after runs, part of the reason I burn through CO2 so fast.. but heck after the night run we were sitting around for an hour watching all the folks w/o their own air borrow little compressors... I've BTDT with CO2, and with the 12v jobbies, so it's time to try this route. This also sets me up for incorporating air bags, air horns, and pneumatic-operated doors & tire carriers in the future.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member

I've also had this fear that the bottle will get hot, or something will hit the bottle, then the safety blow-off valve will activate and the whole truck will almost instantly fill with CO2. The cabin of an 80 is actually sealed somewhat (not like the 40) so it's possible everyone in the car would asphixiate and all go to sleep, and we wouldn't wake up until a window was opened and fresh O2 comes in the car. I think a rock in a river bed would probably do a good job opening that window.. so would an oncoming vehicle. These are some of the things I think about when I can't sleep...

Being a scuba instructor, I probably worry even more what could happen of the tank neck cracks at the valve, or the car overheats and the cylinder explodes. The force exerted by an exploding aluminum cylinder like that can be deadly. I've seen pictures. It's not pretty. It can go through brick walls and travel long distances. I'm probably a little paranoid. In an ideal world maybe I'd have both.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
This also sets me up for incorporating air bags, air horns, and pneumatic-operated doors & tire carriers in the future.

Tim, you planning to do some "Lambo" style doors? :D

You guys gotta stop with the mods...I keep looking at my 40 with all that OBA stuff and thinking hmmmm.... My poor 40 is going to start getting picked clean. Saturday it lost its high lift and winch :hill:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Tim- what, no pushbutton-inflating air mattresses in back?!?
What about the microwave, huh?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey I ordered 4 of those dust caps today, from that 3rd link that Corsair posted up in the previous page (thanks, Jeff!) Doubtful I'll have them by Wednesday, but if you guys need 1 let me know, I really only need 2 of them, but they were only $5.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hey I ordered 4 of those dust caps today, from that 3rd link that Corsair posted up in the previous page (thanks, Jeff!) Doubtful I'll have them by Wednesday, but if you guys need 1 let me know, I really only need 2 of them, but they were only $5.

Cool, let me know how they work out. Might consider putting a couple on the 40. The quick connect up front is pretty well protected in the engine bay but the rear one is in a bad location...might even have to relocate it and cap it to actually make it useable :thumb:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
install pics...

Ok, made some headway last night with the install. My tank came in, and I'll be putting that above the spare crossmember in back, most likely Thursday night or this weekend.. that only leaves the compressor itself, and the filter to install. I think I have to put the filter close to the compressor, behind the 2nd battery, there's just no other place to put it where it won't get smashed by the hood... things are getting kind of crouded in here :blah:

Attachments

• nak_oba_install1.JPG
    nak_oba_install1.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 860
  • nak_oba_install2.JPG
    nak_oba_install2.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 155
  • nak_oba_install3.JPG
    nak_oba_install3.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 148
  • nak_oba_install4.JPG
    nak_oba_install4.JPG