• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

OBA parts

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So Dan (or anyone else who is interested..) I'm going to get a manifold & check valve from Grainger... I had links in here but they didn't work, see below for screen shots.

does that seem about right? I was trying to think of why I needed a fancier manifold and I really only need 3 ports - 1 for that pressure switch deal to feed back to the compressor clutch, one to to to the tanks, then the third for a gage. I bought a gage at Lowes today.. nothing too fancy.

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Tim,

Those links didn't work for me.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Shoot, me neither! hold on...

Ok here are the screen shots:

Attachments

• manifold.JPG
    manifold.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 229
  • check_valve.JPG
    check_valve.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 230

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So then tell me if I got this right..

Attachments

• oba.JPG
    oba.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 228

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Correct except the check valve should be an unloader type. When the pressure switch opens the unloader will relieve the pressure on the valves of the pump. You might also consider a pressure relief valve and a dryer in-line before the tank. Another handy failsafe is a small ball valve on the line to the tank and another quick disconnect at the manifold. Most of the time OBA fails it will be on the lines to the storage or the storage itself.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
So Dan (or anyone else who is interested..) I'm going to get a manifold & check valve from Grainger... I had links in here but they didn't work, see below for screen shots.

does that seem about right? I was trying to think of why I needed a fancier manifold and I really only need 3 ports - 1 for that pressure switch deal to feed back to the compressor clutch, one to to to the tanks, then the third for a gage. I bought a gage at Lowes today.. nothing too fancy.

Harbor Freight, Tool Zone and General Air will also have the parts you seek.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Tim,

I know very little about OBA setups other than my 40 has it...You're more than welcome to come over and dig over my setup to see how it is all connected, routed, etc. I posted these before but here are some shots of the OBA on my 40 in case they would be useful...

The two light blue air lines are for the ARB lockers which I am assuming you would not need if the OBA setup will be for the 80 :)

I have an air chuck hookup point at both the front and rear of the 40 FWIW...

And, 2x on the in-line dryer UB mentions. I don't think I have one? as I've noticed somewhat "wet" air coming out the few times I've used my OBA.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 230
  • FJ402 009 - small.jpg
    FJ402 009 - small.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 221

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Very nice. Where did you get that braided hose and manifold, etc. ? :confused:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Wow, cool. That looks a lot more high tech than what I'm going for.. plus your compressor is opposite mine (my supply is on the right, discharge on the left). So are those blue lines for your lockers?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Sorry guys...was still editing my post as you were posting :)

Yep the blue lines are for the ARB lockers. Sad to say I really know nothing about it yet other than it seems to work, and I forked over the $$ for one of those little York "dipstick" deals to check the oil level which of course I have not yet done :(

One thing I noticed when I sold that York bracket awhile ago it that my bracket on my 40 and the one I sold had a cutout so you could easily remove the oil plug to check the level. Some of the brackets are solid which would make it difficult at best to check the oil level.

As for where any of the parts came from? My best guess would be from BTB out in CA as it would seem the PPO bought a lot of items from them (on board hot water deal, the roll bar I think, speaker box, seats and mount, etc.)

Oh, and if Timm sees this post he'll know why I suggested he paint his engine bay black now while the engine is out...I think my 40 would look that much nicer with a black engine bay :)

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
150psi popoff valve to protect the tank.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah, I've got a popoff valve already, thanks. And I ended up finding a cooler manifold at McMaster Carr and went ahead and ordered it. I haven't been able to find any check valves with "unloading" ability though, UB.. maybe I'll just leave the t-tape off all the fittings on the compressor side.. :hill:

Convert

Hard Core 4+

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
That's a cool writeup Dan, thanks. I'm pretty much there parts-wise, my manifold should arrive tomorrow but I may try to get the compressor hooked up this weekend regardless. I also ordered a separate tank, plus some other cool gadgets...

Does anyone know where to get those rubber boots that go over the end of the quick disconnect? I've looked all over this week and can't find them. swiped these pics from a current mud thread...

Attachments

• 437153724_f170eb8a97.jpg
    437153724_f170eb8a97.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 437153730_f47c483c76.jpg
    437153730_f47c483c76.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 170

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I would be curious what you spent for all that, if you wouldn't mind pm'n me. Reason? I am buying a compressor on sale from hf, and plumbing in my 12v. 3 gal tank... 99.00 plus my time for the 12v compressor and the 3 gal.

That's a cool writeup Dan, thanks. I'm pretty much there parts-wise, my manifold should arrive tomorrow but I may try to get the compressor hooked up this weekend regardless. I also ordered a separate tank, plus some other cool gadgets...

Does anyone know where to get those rubber boots that go over the end of the quick disconnect? I've looked all over this week and can't find them. swiped these pics from a current mud thread...

They look like the same covers we use on our scott airpacks at the fire department might try a fire equipment supply I can check on tuesday for you where we get them.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I would be curious what you spent for all that, if you wouldn't mind pm'n me. Reason? I am buying a compressor on sale from hf, and plumbing in my 12v. 3 gal tank... 99.00 plus my time for the 12v compressor and the 3 gal.

John I quit counting.. no really probably into it ~$400 by now? $500 tops... helps when you spread these mods over 6 months, they tend to fly under the radar a little easier. I dropped at least this on dual batts and the same rule applied, just one piece at a time then one day it was all there!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Post up a link please. I've been to HF, HD, Lowes, Sears, and TZ and they don't have rubber things, and yeah I asked. In fact they don't have check valves either... only filter toolzone had was a dessicant one that's probably the wrong one but I bought it anyway, I will swap it out if it doesn't work out.

But I had forgotten that I managed to order a check valve from the same place I ordered the pressure switch (one o dem OBA jeep places) so I'm good there, except now I want two :rolleyes:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

Reminds me of those little bootsthat you also find on propane tanks...I was bored so I did some searches for dust caps etc and came up with:

http://www.parker.com/ead/cm2.asp?cmid=3735 - middle of page

http://www.stormins.net/product_info.php?products_id=8975

http://hydraulictools.zoair.com/vie...ories/couplers-standard-flush-face?&forward=1

Saw these check valves while searching dust caps...

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/compressor-accessories-check-valves-c-25_4.html

Not sure if any of this is helpful or not...