Non-hunter behavior during hunting season?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I've always been curious about the rules and/or etiquette around 4wheeling or biking or hiking or camping during hunting season. Like I'm pretty sure it's not allowed to discharge a gun when it's dark out, right? I guess I'm more interested in not doing something silly that gets me shot at..

so other than leaving the reindeer antler hat at home, what kind of suggestions would the hunters give to the non-hunters? Are most of the areas we wheel also open to hunting? Barbour Fork comes to mind, this time of year it's all about hunting, or at least that's what it seems from what I see laying on the ground.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Obviously, it is a hunter's responsibility to be fully certain of what they are shooting at, and to operate their fire-arm(s) safely.

However, given that not everyone may be trustworthy who is out with a gun, it isn't a terrible idea to throw some blaze orange on if you are hiking/biking in an area that is open for hunting. Wheeling, I dunno. I mean, you are by your vehicle. But, its still not a terrible idea. Especially on kids.

Basically, just make yourself visible, and easy to tell apart from an animal. No one is going to shoot you intentionally, but making sure they can see you and easily identify you as a human is a good way to keep from being mistaken for game.

Just my .02.

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
I agree with Isaac about the blaze orange. I would put lots of it on anything I didn't want holes shot in. Also there are some new laws that were introduced a few years back about interfering with hunting. Below is a little snippet from the hunting brochure.
I don't think most people care if you are just passing through an area, but then again there are always those that are buttheads.
As far as areas open to hunting most everything in the national forests or on many of the states lands will blanketed with hunters.

"Interfere with hunters. This includes distracting
or frightening prey; causing prey to flee by
using light or noise; chasing prey on foot or by
vehicle; throwing objects; making movements;
harassing hunters by using threats or actions;
erecting barriers to deny access to hunting areas
and intentionally injecting yourself into the line
of fire. Violators face prosecution and may have
to pay victim’s damages and court costs."

calphi27

Trail Ready
In muzzleloading and archery, I would go out. In rifle season, forget it. Too many yahoos running around ready to shoot.

If you must go, blaze orange on head and center mass is a must.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
+1 on blaze orange. I generally stay off public land during hunting season unless I'm hunting. There is a wide range of "skills" and temperaments in the woods during hunting season and I prefer to avoid the more clueless hunters where ever possible.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I really wouldn't worry about getting shot intentionally! Wearing a blaze orange hat is always a great idea in the hills this time of year. However, stray and deflected bullets do fly and no amount of blaze orange seems to deter them!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Also there are some new laws that were introduced a few years back about interfering with hunting.

Yup. My law firm has a Wildlife Law practice. http://www.wildlifelawyer.com/ Not me so much but I just closed a business sale in the industry.

Colorado Revised Statutes § 33-6-115.5. Hunting, trapping, and fishing - intentional interference with lawful activities

(1) No person shall willfully prevent or interfere with the lawful participation of any individual in the activity of hunting, trapping, or fishing in accordance with this article.
(2) A person commits intentional interference with lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities if he:
(a) Acts with intent to alarm, distract, or frighten prey and causes prey to flee by:
(I) Use of any natural or artificial source of noise or light;
(II) Giving chase to prey on foot or by use of any vehicle;
(III) Throwing objects or making movements;
(b) Intentionally harasses any person lawfully participating in the activity of hunting, trapping, and fishing by use of threats or actions;
(c) Erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress to lawfully designated hunting, trapping, and fishing areas;
(d) Intentionally interjects himself into the line of fire;
(e) Engages in any other conduct with the intent to disrupt or prevent lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities.
(3) Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.
(4) Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be liable for all damages incurred by the individual whose lawful activity was obstructed and for all court costs of prosecution.
(5) Nothing in this section shall limit the actions of law enforcement officers and personnel of the division of wildlife in the performance of their official duties nor apply to landowners, tenants, or leaseholders exercising their legal rights to the enjoyment of land, including, but not limited to, farming, ranching, and restricting trespass, nor will anything in this section be construed to prohibit any incidental interference arising from the lawful use of land or water.

Cite as C.R.S § 33-6-115.5

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
Yup. My law firm has a Wildlife Law practice. http://www.wildlifelawyer.com/ Not me so much but I just closed a business sale in the industry.

Colorado Revised Statutes § 33-6-115.5. Hunting, trapping, and fishing - intentional interference with lawful activities

(1) No person shall willfully prevent or interfere with the lawful participation of any individual in the activity of hunting, trapping, or fishing in accordance with this article.
(2) A person commits intentional interference with lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities if he:
(a) Acts with intent to alarm, distract, or frighten prey and causes prey to flee by:
(I) Use of any natural or artificial source of noise or light;
(II) Giving chase to prey on foot or by use of any vehicle;
(III) Throwing objects or making movements;
(b) Intentionally harasses any person lawfully participating in the activity of hunting, trapping, and fishing by use of threats or actions;
(c) Erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress to lawfully designated hunting, trapping, and fishing areas;
(d) Intentionally interjects himself into the line of fire;
(e) Engages in any other conduct with the intent to disrupt or prevent lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities.
(3) Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.
(4) Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be liable for all damages incurred by the individual whose lawful activity was obstructed and for all court costs of prosecution.
(5) Nothing in this section shall limit the actions of law enforcement officers and personnel of the division of wildlife in the performance of their official duties nor apply to landowners, tenants, or leaseholders exercising their legal rights to the enjoyment of land, including, but not limited to, farming, ranching, and restricting trespass, nor will anything in this section be construed to prohibit any incidental interference arising from the lawful use of land or water.

Cite as C.R.S § 33-6-115.5

That is a really interesting site.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Please please do wear blaze orange. I carry spare cheap vests to give to clueless hikers... and have, politely and repeatedly, in the past. In every case they have appreciated it and their newfound awareness.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I always wonder what Dave said in his repeated deleted posts... :lmao:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
That is a really interesting site.

Agreed! What does put a "bee in my bonnet" about it is the exemption for officials. I embrace the rangers and officers in the field but exempting them from being a-holes is not right! We were hunting in a trophy Bull area after putting in and waiting 12 years for the drawing. Some morons found a way in to the National Monument (Dinosaur) through a downed fence. When they got spotted the rangers went above and beyond and patrolled the fence line via ATV's and trucks. They continued to do it all week even after the dipsticks were caught. They completely changed the crossing patterns of the Elk herd and this law protects that? Laws should not exempt the elite!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
No kidding. I had no idea it was illegal to use radios while hunting, particularly since they are marketed for that exact use.

http://www.cabelas.com/radios-garmin-rino-120-gps-radio-1.shtml

s7_224900_999_01b

I have not read the law on this one specifically but you should be able to use the radio while hunting as long as its not in an effort to hunt. Much like you can't drive animals into another hunter. But if its for "hey I just shot an elk please come and help me pack it out" I don't think there is an issue with that. But you can't use it to communicate "hey there are a lot of elk over here come and shoot one". At least that is the way I understand it.

I use my phone when hunting. Sometimes because I'm bored to surf the forum and then to summon the pack team to help me get an animal out. But never to give me any advantage during the hunt.

Back to the original question. I'd just avoid areas you know are being hunted and wear the same orange requirements that hunters are familiar with. That is what we area looking for. Personally I hunt in an area not used recreationally as it has no maintained points of access for the public.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
That was not stated! It only states that you can't "alarm, distract, or frighten prey and causes prey to flee by:
Use of any natural or artificial source of noise or light;"

From the website:

Illegal Use of Radios To Take Wildlife

As with the use of motor vehicles, using radios or aircraft to spot wildlife and communicating via the radio the wildlife's location to another person is illegal. Anyone using a radio as an aid to hunting or pursuing wildlife shall be considered to be in violation of State Division Wildlife regulations. This violation is also a misdemeanor and has harsh penalties and possible hunting license suspensions if convicted. It is also unlawful to use any other type of electronic devices such as cell phones, instant messaging or email to communicate information on the whereabouts of game to another. This violation carries the same penalties as above.

I don't know what the actual law states but I never knew the above to be true...I mean, if I was hunting with a group and I knew where my partners were, and I saw a herd go by but I couldn't get a shot but I knew they were headed toward one or more of my buddies I wouldn't have thought that it was illegal to give them a call and give them a heads up. Maybe what they are trying to discourage is having "spotters" out there?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Exactly, Jeff. Sure seems like a little gray area to me.. you can use the radio to meet for lunch, or come help field dress what I just shot, but you wouldn't use it to communicate the potential location of an animal? From the Field Test...

A partner and myself used a set of the Rino 120's on several different hunts this past year. Not only did they work great for communicating with each other over a variety of broken mountainous terrain, the GPS functionality was very simple to use and made easy work of finding camp and the truck. They were truly waterproof, as I got caught in some severe downpours that didn't affect the Rino in the slightest and the AA batteries lasted for several days under almost constant use.

While the radio and GPS functioned flawlessly, the best part was when I heard my partners' voice come over the Rino one afternoon. "Hey, I found a great draw over here with lots of sign, you want to come check it out?"

"Sure" I replied, "I see your position now and will be over in a bit - should only take me 20 minutes or so, see you then."

Someone school me on hunting terms. Does "a great draw over here with lots of sign, you want to come check it out" have anything to do with "using radios or aircraft to spot wildlife and communicating via the radio the wildlife's location to another person?" I really don't have a bone to pick here, just think it's kind of interesting.

And ok, I'll be sure to wear orange, thanks!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Wow! Interesting!!! I have two Rino's and we use them all the time, they are awesome! We really don't talk on them as much as we post up our positions on the GPS screen to each other. Good info!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Wow! Interesting!!! I have two Rino's and we use them all the time, they are awesome! We really don't talk on them as much as we post up our positions on the GPS screen to each other. Good info!

And I suspect that includes fishing too, eh? So you can yell to the boat next to you that they're biting good over here, just don't use that CB! :D

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Someone school me on hunting terms. Does "a great draw over here with lots of sign, you want to come check it out" have anything to do with "using radios or aircraft to spot wildlife and communicating via the radio the wildlife's location to another person?" I really don't have a bone to pick here, just think it's kind of interesting.

I would say that would most likely fall under the "...using a radio as an aid to hunting or pursuing wildlife shall be considered to be in violation of State Division Wildlife regulations." and be a no-no.

I can see why they don't want you using a plane to spot wildlife and direct in hunters (apparently Alaska doesn't have this law...for fishing anyway)...Or even using just a spotter. But if you are out hunting and spot sign of a herd or see movement and you pass that along to your buddies what is the big deal? I wonder if you are given the benefit of the doubt that you aren't doing just that if you get stopped by a DOW dude with your Rino and or cell phone :rolleyes:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Tim, a "draw" refers to finger of a major drainage. Kind of like we would refer to a side canyon in Moab. Generally they have thicker vegetation due to water draining into them and more shade during the year. Most Elk and Deer will hide there during the day.

I think the law is there to keep a level playing field for all hunters as well as for the animals. Different states have different laws. I'm sure not all states prohibit radio communications like CO.

Every year out here I see increased small plane air traffic during hunting season. I know there are some breaking the rules. Well at least that's the way you feel :mad: watching them overhead all day anyway.