NOLS Wilderness First Aid course

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
This past weekend during Bill and Chris' class we had a great discussion of the NOLS Wilderness First Aid course (WFA).

I just saw
there is one April Apr 3-4, 2024 in Golden, CO [LINK]. That's a mid-week. Here is a description: "Prepare for the unexpected with this engaging, hands-on introduction to wilderness medicine, taught over two or two and a half days. If you like to take short trips relatively close to medical resources, work at wilderness camps, enjoy weekend family outdoor activities, or recreate outdoors, this course is for you. This course is great for people of all experience levels, and is best suited for those who recreate outdoors where EMS response can be expected in a timely manner (fewer than eight hours). You'll learn the Patient Assessment System, how to provide effective first aid treatments for injuries and illnesses common in the outdoors, and how to make appropriate evacuation decisions.You'll learn both in the classroom and in outdoor settings regardless of weather, so come prepared for wet, muddy, cold or hot environments!"

I would love to see more members, spouses, partners, wheeling buddies, etc., get this training or more. @Hants and I did the 9 day Wilderness First Responder a few years ago. Its amazing life training and I am so glad I did. @jps8460 is also a "woofer" ("WFR") and probably more of you are. The next level above WFR is EMT and more.

The "Wilderness" designation is perfect of our backcountry 4WD travels. Explore with more confidence.

Its possible but harder to arrange a class just for RS members, but if there is significant interest I am willing to try.

Others offer WFA. NOLS is VERY good.

mulebarn

Rising Sun Member
100%. The WFR course is intense, but the confidence gained is priceless. The key is keeping up on training though... it’s easy to become rusty quickly.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Great idea, great training and programs!

Such training came in handy as recently as last year at the Overland Expo event when a man passed out and stopped breathing. A former Marine Medic and I started to position him for CPR when he started breathing again and then helped package him for transport while others made instagram posts.....

wesintl

RS Moderator
I just finished recert through bsa WFA course

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
I got my WEMT through Nols. Intensive, but thorough. Not the cheapest, but didn't want the cheapest.