• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

New to area. Looking for reputable shop in CO springs.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
With my car if you plug in an OBDII reader it breaks the traction control settings. TCS and VSC TRAC light comes on. I've confirmed systems do not work like this and it's not just a faulty light mishap. I have to do this paperclip mumbo jumbo sacrifice in the OBDII to get it back on. And then it works again.

I tell the shops this, even factory trained or Toyota techs and they say "Oh, okay, yeah we'll reset that so it doesn't do that to you"

And then I get it back with the lights on or they come in shortly after because all they did was clear the codes, not recalibrate it.

I've read this is caused by OBDII changing systems around when my vehicle is made and it doesn't know how to communicate with the traction control system and then it just throws a tantrum and deletes it. That's the technical term, undoubtedly.

Has anyone else heard about this or is it just me? Cause I feel like it's just me.

The fella that helped me with the flush said he was a mechanic and owned like half a shop or something? But he's not used to working on these kinds of vehicles. He's used to luxury vehicles.

He did show me the pump that was going off all the time. He said a new part would be a couple hundred dollars and it's pretty much plug and play and it's easily reached.

But my thought is that this pump is just in done feedback loop and is not making its own decisions. Something is telling the pump to go off and it's doing that just fine. I suppose there could be a leak internally in the pump and therefore it's not doing its job causing it to be activated again and again and still causing poor performance of the brakes.

I suspect the issue is elsewhere though. I'm not familiar how to diagnose this for sure. Or if there is a way to do this or I'm just supposed to throw parts at it and hope something sticks.

Toyota dealership did tell me a few years ago that I had tons of fluid in my rear differential (I think that's what they said) (they didn't open anything up so I'm not sure how I'd know) and it would be a few thousand to open it up to look for the problem. But all my fluid levels were good so I'm not sure where it came from. I don't remember what fluid they said it was. After conferring with people who know more than I do, the unanimous consensus was that they were doing unnecessary exploration at exorbitant rates to see if they could get some business.

I dunno. Maybe they were right.

To be clear these current issues predated this incident. I think. You know what. I don't actually have proof of when anything occurred for sure.

I think I went over a giant rock. I'm not really sure what happened tbh. Shop 2 said my skid plate was so mangled I'd need a new one. They said it pushed up into the bay and caused damage to the radiator and other parts so I'd need a new radiator among other things. At a few thousand.

Shop 3 with more relevant experience said there is damage to the skid plate but parts inside seems to be undamaged and they should be okay. They welded back the torn backwards tow point and said they getting a new skid would not fix it because I've got frame damage that basically matches the skid plate so without doing frame repair that would be very costly I'm better off just keeping my skid plate as is.
That's a lot to start off with.

The ABS/Trac lights coming on with a code reader is a known issue on the 2003. Here is info/the fix process:

As far as the pump, if he was talking about the ABS pump, and it has failed, then it should just not have ABS, but the brakes "should" still function.

Rear diff fluid level can only be so high. It is filled from the top fill hole, and when it is full it pours out of the fill hole. I wouldn't take that too far past this point.

Typically if you have radiator damage, you are going to have a leak. You wouldn't have made this far in your trip if you had a leaking radiator.

I would say the biggest issue that you need addressed is the brakes. That's going to be a hard one to figure out right now online. Someone local to The Springs might be able to help, but we don't have a ton of people on this forum that live down that way. Maybe one of them can chime in.

There is a shop down in The Springs called Toy Tech. They specialize in Toyotas. They get good reviews, but they aren't open until Monday. https://toytechauto.com/

Namara

Rock Stacker
That's a lot to start off with.

The ABS/Trac lights coming on with a code reader is a known issue on the 2003. Here is info/the fix process:

As far as the pump, if he was talking about the ABS pump, and it has failed, then it should just not have ABS, but the brakes "should" still function.

Rear diff fluid level can only be so high. It is filled from the top fill hole, and when it is full it pours out of the fill hole. I wouldn't take that too far past this point.

Typically if you have radiator damage, you are going to have a leak. You wouldn't have made this far in your trip if you had a leaking radiator.

I would say the biggest issue that you need addressed is the brakes. That's going to be a hard one to figure out right now online. Someone local to The Springs might be able to help, but we don't have a ton of people on this forum that live down that way. Maybe one of them can chime in.

There is a shop down in The Springs called Toy Tech. They specialize in Toyotas. They get good reviews, but they aren't open until Monday. https://toytechauto.com/

I slept in the autozone parking lot. Some worker just knocked on the window. He didn't say anything and I'm not used to sleeping in parking lots. I think that means leave. I'll look for breakfast I guess.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
He was probably just telling you they are open.

Namara

Rock Stacker
Oh. Hadn't thought about that.

Well I went in for a quick chat after verifying fluid levels were fine.

He said it's probably my diaphragm. That's a new one for me. He looked on the computer and he couldn't even order it because my car is too old. He said he's got 4 4Runners. I guess if he links them together he's got a 16 runner.

He gave me a card to someone who he said is an excellent mechanic. He said 60 an hour for service. Which I guess is a good rate? I don't know.

Namara

Rock Stacker
As a Texan (Houston born and raised), our winters here are easier on the body. While it is colder, the lack of humidity in the air doesn't draw heat from the body as quickly - "cold" doesn't feel as cold as "cold and wet."

If the truck is getting up to temp, but the heater isn't blowing cold, the issue could be with the mixing valve. Its usually cable drive from the slider on the AC controls, and held in place by a clip on the mixing valve. It might be loose and isn't completely opening the valve to hot.

I saw you mention orange coolant. Is there a chance that you have green and orange mixed? If so, thats a bad idea. The two are not friends and will cause "clotting" of the coolant, which can gunk up the coolant passages.

Speaking of your Humble origins (pun intended), are there any laws I should be aware of? (I don't mean weed). I was able to see some gun laws for the state on US law shield's site. They also mentioned no concealed knives above 3.5 inches? Do they enforce that and is having a pocket knife with the clip showing, is that concealed? Sorry if this is out of the right field.

Anything else I should know that are major differences? Traffic laws?

A local told me there's a law about "puffing" and you can't idle your car without being near/in it, but it's not enforced they said.

I looked up laws and it only gave me weird laws or funny laws, the harmless kind. That or I read every bylaw of the state.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If you make it up to Denver, toy car care is I think a good Indy shop that could do an inspection of your heating and braking systems. Also Jesse at ATLR. Possibly toy doctor as well.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Affordable Toyota and Lexus Repair. Looks like they will be closed for the next two weeks though.

Also in Denver we have Jim’s Got Parts and Yota Yard for you to find used parts if you need. Do you have tools? Any mechanical skills? You could post up some pictures of the frame and skid plate damage you are talking about and we could help figure out if we think it’s a problem or not.

Namara

Rock Stacker
Affordable Toyota and Lexus Repair. Looks like they will be closed for the next two weeks though.

Also in Denver we have Jim’s Got Parts and Yota Yard for you to find used parts if you need. Do you have tools? Any mechanical skills? You could post up some pictures of the frame and skid plate damage you are talking about and we could help figure out if we think it’s a problem or not.

I have an adjustable crescent wrench. Everything else is in Texas.

Minor mechanic skills but my health and condition has deteriorated. I don't mean I've become a pizza roll eating basement dweller, but that I've lost muscle mass and weight and likely aren't even fit for EMS at this point.

I've got an autoimmune disorder (reason the army wouldn't have me) and some genetic stuff that is messing with me (dislocations and joint issues, hypermobility, I bruise like there's no tomorrow, etc). So if it came to heavy lifting I'm leaning towards injury or looking like an idiot who can't manage it. My BMI leaves much to be desired.

Embarrassed to say, but I got defeated by a jar of maraschino cherries last week. That's the honest truth.

I'm just a rolling wreck to summarize. I can't tell if you if I made the right decision or not to leave but I don't think this pump brake issue is going to make it home should I eventually decide to.

I'm really not trying to burden anyone. Just check my options. I'll check around to see shops locally or push on towards Denver.

Namara

Rock Stacker

Not the best pictures but this is one view. Kind of hard to get a full picture.

I have enough clearance to shimmy under it at stock height (9.1"?) And have my face to the skid as I have ratchet and extender to get off the oil bolt off without raising it up.

This was before it got fixed.

image(43).jpg

Attachments

• image(44).jpg
    image(44).jpg
    892.6 KB · Views: 89

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
Bad Rock Auto in Woodland Park is solid. Probably 35 minutes uo use pass from the springs. I moved to the springs area from Denver and have relied on Mack (Bad Rock owner) for all my truck issues.

Namara

Rock Stacker

Additionally

The mechanic who did some work did replace some cv joints and tie rod ends. He said that's why it could not be aligned. But it's pulling to the left now. Who knows.

On a Honda civic, me and my fiance (not sure about where that situation is right now 😖) replaced a CV joint and sway bar link and bearings and all kinds of nonsense. Blood sweat and tear into that 2002 shitbox. So I'm not 100% car stupid. I can generally follow you tube videos though I do rename parts in my head based on what I think they look like if I cannot remember the name of it.

Such as taking off the wheel of the 2002 and there's an accordion over the axel/CV rod thing.

Namara

Rock Stacker
Bad Rock Auto in Woodland Park is solid. Probably 35 minutes uo use pass from the springs. I moved to the springs area from Denver and have relied on Mack (Bad Rock owner) for all my truck issues.
I have been informed winds can get REALLY bad here and they shut down entire major roads for hours or days.

Or this. Kinda concerned about being yeeted by a large rock and low velocity or a smaller rock at great velocity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211218-095727_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20211218-095727_Reddit.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 79

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Don't worry about the wind, you'll be fine.

Don't worry about guns and knives, just don't pull them out in public.

The first thing we need to find is a way to diagnose the problem. Do you feel the car is safely drivable at this point?

Namara

Rock Stacker
Don't worry about the wind, you'll be fine.

Don't worry about guns and knives, just don't pull them out in public.

The first thing we need to find is a way to diagnose the problem. Do you feel the car is safely drivable at this point?

I may be more book smart than street smart but I don't go brandishing anything. I'm not looking for trouble.

Driving condition is what I'm trying to wager. Is it any less dangerous than the 1000 miles I went recently or the entire time I've been driving it? Probably not, but I do not think it will fail going to Denver. I wager it's about an hour drive. I can't be sure but I think it's low risk.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
so the brakes are working well enough to get you to Denver? There are some long downhill braking points between here and there, specifically between Monument and Lone Tree. If you can get it to Denver, we have more support up here.

Namara

Rock Stacker
so the brakes are working well enough to get you to Denver? There are some long downhill braking points between here and there, specifically between Monument and Lone Tree. If you can get it to Denver, we have more support up here.

Well I figured it would be similar to driving up 25 from NM. It's a lot more than that?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Well I figured it would be similar to driving up 25 from NM. It's a lot more than that?
Nope. Raton Pass was way worse. I've got space and tools, if we can find some people with better brake knowledge than myself to come see what we can come up with. I am in Lakewood. Anyone?

Namara

Rock Stacker
Nope. Raton Pass was way worse. I've got space and tools, if we can find some people with better brake knowledge than myself to come see what we can come up with. I am in Lakewood. Anyone?
There was one instance going down a steep decline in the mountains I went though and the brake got really hard and I thought I had lost my brakes . Had to foot to the floor and stomp it. I'm not looking to splat or cave in someone's rear end.

Not supposing I can rely on run away ramps that I expect are in the area? I have yet to see any in the mountains surprisingly.