• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

New Comeup 9.5rs contactor noise

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
Just one more thing, where did you ground the little ground wire to? Is that grounded to a clean piece of metal?

Christo,

I received a phone call from Rod with Comeup this evening. He seemed to think there was an assumption on my behalf that Slee was just going to replace my winch. To be clear, that is not true. I fully expected for it to be tested. Either on my truck or a bench. That's all I was trying to clear up with you. On or off the truck

As for this grounding wire...

I think this was some kind of freak miscommunication storm. I was never questioned by Comeup about wiring (specifically the ground wire from the controller). Even after a message was sent off to the engineers overseas! If you'll notice in the diagram, the white wire is connected to terminal A. Comeup is referring to the 2 ga. wire with white shrink on the terminal. Fair enough. You'll also note that the grounding wire is not assigned a terminal nor are the proper designations for ground used in the diagram. Not only that, but this wire has a white sleeve around it and is marked as green. You can see where this might be confusing. I had the grounding wire attached to terminal A.

After speaking with Rod, he said that the ground wire should be attached to the ground post of the motor going back to the battery.

I have read multiple forum posts about the less than clear instructions provided with the Comeup winches. Hopefully all those other winches with chattering contactors are wired correctly! I will follow up with Rod tomorrow and explain the wiring situation.

As for the winch, it's smooth as butter and approaching twice as fast.

Thanks to you and Ben!

Attachments

• 20190325_193419.jpg
    20190325_193419.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 250
  • 20190325_172025.jpg
    20190325_172025.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 208

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Winch wiring diagrams always seem convoluted and confusing with colors to me, Warn, ComeUp, Superwinch doesn't seem to matter.

I think this one is pretty good at showing logically what connections you're after with the DC88 type contactors.

When you trace what the manufacturer is doing against where things get hooked up in this you can usually interpret what they meant to do. Sometime they seem to tap the motor or the contactor terminals for "+" or "-", that's where it gets confusing.

Winch Wiring diagram_mid.jpg

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
My job requires me to read the same type of wiring diagram on an almost daily basis. They are extremely well laid out and easy to read in my case (and much more complicated). Classic case of overlooking something, I suppose.

The Comeup diagram should most definitely have a post drawn for the negative cable from the battery to the motor and then show the ground wire from the controller attached there as well.

Assuming that we all know what two wires just going to the case means is silly and is an easy fix for Comeup. Im sure I'm not the only customer reading that diagram incorrectly. I'll make suggestions tomorrow.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@mosdefjeff, since you're familiar with schematics this is exactly how a DC88 operates. Winch motors terminals are arranged differently with a common ground so typical wiring doesn't match Albright's recommendation.

DC88P-Catalogue-Sheet-v1a-06-13-Electronic-Issue.png

This is how the contactor is wired if you use the old Superwinch style plug following their color codes. I just ran 3 wires and didn't bother running a ground to the remote in my Warn. I put it on the plug in case I ever need it in the future.

albrightwire.jpg

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Nice!! So, is everything taken care of?

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
Christo,
I received a phone call from Rod with Comeup this evening. He seemed to think there was an assumption on my behalf that Slee was just going to replace my winch. To be clear, that is not true. I fully expected for it to be tested. Either on my truck or a bench. That's all I was trying to clear up with you. On or off the truck

Seems like there was some miscommunication.

As for this grounding wire...

I think this was some kind of freak miscommunication storm. I was never questioned by Comeup about wiring (specifically the ground wire from the controller). Even after a message was sent off to the engineers overseas! If you'll notice in the diagram, the white wire is connected to terminal A. Comeup is referring to the 2 ga. wire with white shrink on the terminal. Fair enough. You'll also note that the grounding wire is not assigned a terminal nor are the proper designations for ground used in the diagram. Not only that, but this wire has a white sleeve around it and is marked as green. You can see where this might be confusing. I had the grounding wire attached to terminal A.

After speaking with Rod, he said that the ground wire should be attached to the ground post of the motor going back to the battery.

The green wire in a white sleeve is something they should add to the instructions. I totally understand why one could get that wrong. I guess we are just used to always have a small wire from the contactor / solenoid box that has to be grounded and never thought about that.

I assume all is good now?

We will be in contact with them to see if they are going to amend instructions. Would also be easier if they put a ground tag on the wire itself.

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
Seems like there was some miscommunication.

The green wire in a white sleeve is something they should add to the instructions. I totally understand why one could get that wrong. I guess we are just used to always have a small wire from the contactor / solenoid box that has to be grounded and never thought about that.

I assume all is good now?

We will be in contact with them to see if they are going to amend instructions. Would also be easier if they put a ground tag on the wire itself.

Yes, the winch is working great!

I talked with Rod this morning. He asked me to give him a call after I had a chance to move that wire. I mentioned where my confusion came from, but would certainly assume the suggestion would come with more weight from you all.

Thanks for all the support, Christo. You guys are great!