my new(to me) KTM is too tall - do I need a low seat??

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
so...my KTM is too tall. I feel like a little kid swinging my legs in a chair that's too big.

I'm about 5'7" on a good day, and I know I can adjust the suspension to some degree - for which I'll get some assistance...BUT...my question is, being as short as I am, should I look for a 'low' seat? it's not much lower (.5"?)

60wag

Rising Sun Member
yes.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I would definitely shave the seat down and maybe even have a lowering link and forks shortened professionally. I'm even shorter than you and have a CRF250X that I've done the above to and it's made a ton of difference. I went to Hitchcock Industries and Neil there did the work the right way - the wrong way is to just lower the forks in the triple clamps because the tire can make contact with the fender and all sorts of other not great things when you bottom out. You might lose an inch or two of travel but if it means you can enjoy the bike it's worth it.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
You should definitely grow longer legs. Just saying.:D

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Just need new riding boots. :hill:

Attachments

• monster-boots-mens-platform-576x576.jpg
    monster-boots-mens-platform-576x576.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 181

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
so...my KTM is too tall. I feel like a little kid swinging my legs in a chair that's too big.

I'm about 5'7" on a good day, and I know I can adjust the suspension to some degree - for which I'll get some assistance...BUT...my question is, being as short as I am, should I look for a 'low' seat? it's not much lower (.5"?)

No...you need to give it to me :) Will it fit 6'-3"?

Just kidding...you are on the right track!

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'd start there, and then ride it for a bit and just see what you think you need at that point. The next step would probably be a full suspension tune with softer and maybe shorter springs. The manual has some good documentation on spring settings based on weight, but you might need someone like Hitchcock to set you up optimally with your height and weight.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
it'd be worth at least trying to figure out how it is sprung. A lot of dirt bikes I think are bought and ridden with somebody's crazy set of springs on them.

I had Neil at hitchcock do mine and I think the spring changes were the most beneficial.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
thanks!

thanks marco and Matt (I mean Martin). I'm hoping to hit IMI this weekend to get acquainted with the new ride if I can get my trailer setup. I'll ride it with the current seat setup this weekend. I probably won't even get out of 2nd gear. :eek:

I got this from a old-timer (60+) who used to enduro race it, I have a feeling it's got "somebody's crazy set of springs on them".

I'll end up going to Neil at some point. :thumb:

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
You could try platform shoes! :eek: That's what I use.:D