• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Moab october 14-16 2021

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately I am not gonna be able to make it. Just too busy catching up on work

Yarn Cruiser

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@KC Masterpiece are you and Amber able to make it? I still need to show her some crochet stitches and we can hit up Moab's local yarn store Desert Thread.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
We would like to break it up a little too. Looking at a hike, maybe run some rc crawlers, goodies from Doughbird and buy some stickers, depending on weather.

Ladies driving @Yarn Runner trail leader for one trail at least

Trail possibilities:
Porcupine rim
Poison spider mesa
Flat iron mesa
Dome plateau
Fins, HR?

What say ye?

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Sara and I vote as follows:
Porcupine rim: Yes
Poison Spider: We could take it or leave it. Good trail.
Flat Iron Mesa: Yes
Dome Plateau: Yes
Fins, HR: I think Sara should drive Fins.
I also suggest Top of the World. Haven't done it yet.

I don't think we'd do all those trails this trip, it turns into work after a while.
We're showing up for the company, and to drink in some views.

I've been toying with the idea of running Kokopelli from Fruita to HWY 128 on the way in. Just don't know how/if the timing will work out. Any interest in that?
Main problem: I have to work on Wed, so it'd be a drive to Fruita, then start Kokopelli in the afternoon/evening. Shoot for Westwater Wed Afternoon/Evening. Stay a night. Push to 128 Thursday?

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Information for my house. Good news who were here last year, no more goat heads thorns. The back yard has been recently rocked, and some have not been compacted down, so people in tents will want to sleep on air mattresses. As usual, the house is open 24 hours a day, with 3 bathrooms and showers (bring what you need for showers), kitchen open. I have a coffee pot but do not drink coffee, so bring your own coffee. Any significant others not sure about camping, there are 3 bedrooms available for use in the house. I still have alot of firewood, please do not bring any more. Chairs to sit around the fire pit. One planned group meal??

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Sara and I vote as follows:
Porcupine rim: Yes
Poison Spider: We could take it or leave it. Good trail.
Flat Iron Mesa: Yes
Dome Plateau: Yes
Fins, HR: I think Sara should drive Fins.
I also suggest Top of the World. Haven't done it yet.

I don't think we'd do all those trails this trip, it turns into work after a while.
We're showing up for the company, and to drink in some views.

I've been toying with the idea of running Kokopelli from Fruita to HWY 128 on the way in. Just don't know how/if the timing will work out. Any interest in that?
Main problem: I have to work on Wed, so it'd be a drive to Fruita, then start Kokopelli in the afternoon/evening. Shoot for Westwater Wed Afternoon/Evening. Stay a night. Push to 128 Thursday?
Just putting feelers out for trails. Definitely not planning on running all of em listed. Maybe on kokopelli extension, we are working weds also so we might plan on running this next year

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Also directions. I am 7 miles south of town, just past the arena and the large condo development. Turn left off the highway on Stocks drive and then 1st left on Beeman road. I'm on the left. 4230 Beeman Road. Drive to the back, and set up camp anywhere. Anyone with a camper, I have 30amp service (2), water and a dump.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Information for my house. Good news who were here last year, no more goat heads thorns. The back yard has been recently rocked, and some have not been compacted down, so people in tents will want to sleep on air mattresses. As usual, the house is open 24 hours a day, with 3 bathrooms and showers (bring what you need for showers), kitchen open. I have a coffee pot but do not drink coffee, so bring your own coffee. Any significant others not sure about camping, there are 3 bedrooms available for use in the house. I still have alot of firewood, please do not bring any more. Chairs to sit around the fire pit. One planned group meal??
You are the best! We were thinking of a group dinner, possibly from Blu Pig but haven't checked pricing yet. Won't be as good as the KC BBQ but not bad either, IMO. I was planning on doing this under your nose to surprise you to say thank you for your hospitality but the cat is out of the bag now. 😀

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Have you ever done Kokopelli? You might want to budget about 3 hours for that section and try to at least get past Western Rim with daylight, that section's fairly beat up now by all the SxSs and ATVs so you want to do it with some daylight or alternatively be able to see and not miss the bypass (I always use the bypass now FWIW). Figure sunset will be about 6:30 around then.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Have you ever done Kokopelli? You might want to budget about 3 hours for that section and try to at least get past Western Rim with daylight, that section's fairly beat up now by all the SxSs and ATVs so you want to do it with some daylight or alternatively be able to see and not miss the bypass (I always use the bypass now FWIW). Figure sunset will be about 6:30 around then.
Thanks for the heads up, haven't done that section of Kokopelli. The sections I have run have always been on the way out of Moab up to Coal Draw/Harley Dome Rd.
Doesn't look like time is going to be on our side for this one, and running solo isn't ideal. We'll just have to sign up for it at CM2022.

Thanks for hosting Brian!

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
I’m already out there for a week with a few Jeep buddies. We’re heading that way on the 14th around 10am. Certainly wave and say howdy if our paths cross.
Ill be in the lone silver 80 with 4 jeeps. 😂

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Amber and I are looking much more probable. I need to check with work on Monday.

Good to run any trails on that list.

We would also be leaving on Wednesday after work. I'd love to make kokopeli part of this if it made sense logistically.

What time would be all be heading out on Wednesday? Is a convoy making more sense?

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
Wow, this is really gracious!! Thank you!!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Update:
Here's our rough draft of the trip itinerary

Roll out weds late afternoon evening from Denver, meet up and time TBD for caravan, hopefully 4-5pm at the latest, arrive at Brian's late evening
Thursday: poison spider or porcupine rim
Friday: morning hike (TBD), short trail in afternoon (fins 1st half or dome plateau, drive like a girl maybe?)
Saturday: flat iron mesa
Sunday: heading home

Also when time allows; rc crawlers, shopping (desert threads, Doughbird, etc)

I am trying to button down details for group dinner, trying for Blu Pig bbq in town, thinking dinner Friday night. Will post up more info.

Any changes or suggestions?

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
Planning on coming out for this. Thinking Mike and I will be heading out from Trinidad on Tuesday, maybe doing Hells on Wednesday and just chillin Wednesday night. Love to run Poison Spider, anything else the group wants. We may do Hole in the rock trail on our way home.. Playing that by ear.. Brian, thank you again for your accommodation, your the best!

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Planning on coming out for this. Thinking Mike and I will be heading out from Trinidad on Tuesday, maybe doing Hells on Wednesday and just chillin Wednesday night. Love to run Poison Spider, anything else the group wants. We may do Hole in the rock trail on our way home.. Playing that by ear.. Brian, thank you again for your accommodation, your the best!
Anyone coming in early or staying late is fine. Just let me know.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member

ChevyKeith

Rising Sun Member
I will be out there. I would probably just do one day of a trail and possibly attend Friday night dinner and bring my wife. Maybe Poision Spider on Thursday if you decide to do it or something else close and in that range on Friday.

Figure I am just tagging along since I will have the Jeep. I will watch the thread and work it out once you all decide.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I'll be coming back from a company trip on Wednesday night. My plan is be at Brian's place before dark on Thursday. Probably will be in my wife's GX470.