• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Moab Memories

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I thought the memories that Cheesers thread stirred warranted it's own thread.....post up them old pictures of Moab adventures from the early days..... :cool: :thumb:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Here's a couple I dug up....

Attachments

• JDCROTCH-(2).jpg
    JDCROTCH-(2).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 505
  • GRPHELL.JPG
    GRPHELL.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 268
  • KESQUEZE.JPG
    KESQUEZE.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 266

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Wow, check out all the 40's! Last year, every run I was out numbered by 80 series, times are changing I guess.

Cool pics UB! Thanks for posting them up.

Drew

Is the 55 in the front Ws before he went super wild? It looks like Red Fox might be in that photo. One of the white 40s could be from Idaho. Is that Meredith's 25 on the left? Some of those rigs look like they may belong to the defunct Rain Country Cruisers.

I have some old photos from CM circa 99 and 00 and then 02, 04, 05, 06. In 2000, I think there were 11 80s at CM. There were a bunch of 60s that year maybe 20 or so. In 2000, that was the year the Venezuelans came so lots of 70 series that year and that 60 with like a million miles on it that broke a birf on Golden Crack. For me what is crazy is to think about the equipment I used to wheel. V8j60 at first with 33x9.50s, then 33x12.50s, 33x10.50s on the last trip right before I went to 35s on it. Almost every trip down in the 60 resulted in a tire swap when I got home. 13 sets in almost 6 years. Not good!

The scariest thing for me at this point is realizing that 06 may have been it. I know I'm not going to make it this year but depending upon where we move I might never make it again. Scary thought for someone who has such fond memories of it.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Is the 55 in the front Ws before he went super wild? It looks like Red Fox might be in that photo. One of the white 40s could be from Idaho. Is that Meredith's 25 on the left? Some of those rigs look like they may belong to the defunct Rain Country Cruisers.

I have some old photos from CM circa 99 and 00 and then 02, 04, 05, 06. In 2000, I think there were 11 80s at CM. There were a bunch of 60s that year maybe 20 or so. In 2000, that was the year the Venezuelans came so lots of 70 series that year and that 60 with like a million miles on it that broke a birf on Golden Crack. For me what is crazy is to think about the equipment I used to wheel. V8j60 at first with 33x9.50s, then 33x12.50s, 33x10.50s on the last trip right before I went to 35s on it. Almost every trip down in the 60 resulted in a tire swap when I got home. 13 sets in almost 6 years. Not good!

The scariest thing for me at this point is realizing that 06 may have been it. I know I'm not going to make it this year but depending upon where we move I might never make it again. Scary thought for someone who has such fond memories of it.

Yep....that 55 is W's. The pic is at the mouth of Upper Helldorado. We all had just done Lower and a few of us continued up Upper. Some of the 40's include, Casey Meyer, Greg Mumm, Charlie Rupp, Me, Park Owens, and Dan Dilley. This was also the Upper Helldorado run that we encountered the cave in at the waterfall that some idiots caused so they could get out. Not seen in the picture are Henry Brimmer, Rob Mullin and David Dearfield whom all went around to set up for pictures and position Henry's 60 to winch us all up quick. The "Authority" boys (Cap'n, Jon Bundrant, Kowacosky, Davis and Junkyard Dog) were already on the trail ahead of us as they skipped Lower Helldorado. This outlaw run was set up by Brimmer and Mullin.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Just realized some trivia about the group shot.....if you look at the blue 40 on the far right side of the pic and you look at the recent post about the nice garage and Cruiser pic from Ebay you might notice they are both the same glass tubbed Smirf blue units! :thumb: :cool:

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
Kevin, Is that the run where you were a gentleman and let Casey go first and thus he was the first 40 to do Upper Helldorado? Those were great days in Moab.
________
Bdsm Mistress

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I kind of like this one

Attachments

• DSCN0062.JPG
    DSCN0062.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 192

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Greg McNeil fixing a something on Spike, CM2001. All he had was a HiLift and the thing kept almost falling over on him.

Attachments

• Small Greg McNeil CM2001.JPG
    Small Greg McNeil CM2001.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 191

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Found some more.....

Chris will remember the first one :(

Attachments

• KEVIN1.GIF
    KEVIN1.GIF
    47.5 KB · Views: 183
  • KEVCRACK.GIF
    KEVCRACK.GIF
    34.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 4RRPMB97.JPG
    4RRPMB97.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 180
  • FJ25MB97.JPG
    FJ25MB97.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Yes, I do. :eek:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
;)

Attachments

• fj60-2.jpg
    fj60-2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 171
  • kev.jpg
    kev.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 178
  • rob.jpg
    rob.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 175
is that rock pile?! holly crap it used to be small :eek:

I don't think so.

I remember one of my first trips down there we drove Fins and Things and then we drove up Lion's Back. We thought we were pretty cool after that. Man, what I'd give to do a little time travel. Age catches up with you. I'm still doing stupid stuff but I can't run to get out of the way fast enough to get good pictures of others doing the same.

I remember when you guys did that Upper. Brimmer's Hj60 with the 24V Warn was in the calendar. I think that rig ended up in AK.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I don't think so.

I remember one of my first trips down there we drove Fins and Things and then we drove up Lion's Back. We thought we were pretty cool after that. Man, what I'd give to do a little time travel. Age catches up with you. I'm still doing stupid stuff but I can't run to get out of the way fast enough to get good pictures of others doing the same.

I remember when you guys did that Upper. Brimmer's Hj60 with the 24V Warn was in the calendar. I think that rig ended up in AK.

Yes, that is Rock Pile. The pictures are deceiving as it hasn't changed that much compared to the broken step just before it and of course Rocker Knocker. So who knows whos 60 that is? Hint: the passenger and driver had to crawl in and out of the side windows because the rock rails were bent up in front of the doors! :p:

You are right about Brimmers HJ. He refused to pay what the smog nazi's wanted to get it licensed here in the state's so it went north with a new owner. That 60 is what really got me interested in Cruiser wagons! I loved that truck!

wesintl

RS Moderator
Yes, that is Rock Pile and the 60 is who's? :p:

Piece of cake... James Asti's:D

Talk about someone not afraid to break or hammer a truck. James definatly had a east coast wheelin style ;)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Piece of cake... James Asti's:D

Talk about someone not afraid to break or hammer a truck. James definatly had a east coast wheelin style ;)

Ding ding ding....we have a winner! Henry Cubillian is the passenger. :cheers:

Wasn't that the trip where James Asti left with only one tape in the truck and drove all the way out from VA? 2000?

In 2000, I also had a radio accident. I was doing my Ivan Man Iron Stuart impersonation on the High Speed Mesa. I was doing about 50 and had to stop suddenly. The red powder filled my cab including that little slit where the CD goes in. The rest of the trip all we could listen to was Knockin on Heaven's Door by GnR. The radio wouldn't even work. So we'd drive an hour listen to it and then turn it off for an hour. It was a long trip home.

I'll scan some of my old photos tonight.

Last edited: