• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Moab Carnage

Dented my gas tank, (read under the passenger seat)
Popped a bead, front passenger
Broke front leaf spring mount bolt
Front locker is making bad noises

lots of love marks from BFE and escalator from various half flops.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
hhmmmm....i actually broke nothing this trip. :D

isotel

Well, Somehow my Exhaust Rotated enough to melt my Tail Light.. we Cut it off at camp with a sawzall, Then it proceeded to melt thru my spring bushings.. so we retrofitted the old piece back on at a different angle, and got new bushings at the Moab Outpost

My Truck keept blowing a Code 43 all week, Electronic Spark Controll.. Still haven't figured that one out. Ran like Crap, but did not hold me back

im kinda pissed off, i didint even scrape my new skid plate.. and no body damage to speak of :eek:

Edit: i almost forgot, on Poisin spider mesa i blew out the pitman arm seal on my PS box.. my Snap ring was jacked, i managed to get it back in, and get it back to town, got a new snap ring and pulled the pitman arm in the checker parking lot and replaced it!

Last edited:

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I crunched the opening on my tailpipe pretty flat -- several times. I just hogged it out with a long breaker bar and it was fine.

The 80 performed flawlessly on the trail.

Sawzall will fix that tailpipe for you :D

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
While we were trouble-shooting at Milt's after the run, Jeff suggested the trailer harness as a likely source. Sure-enough, cleared the sand & mud and the brake fuse quit blowing. Later I figured out the signal fuse was also blown. 9pm that night, on the road home, I was pulled over by Colorado Highway Patrol for no running lights. Drove to Fruita with hazards and found a 3rd blown fuse.

Bummer Hants...I wondered what was up when you stopped on Main St. and said you were going to head to the wash 'cuz the fuse blew again, because your brake lights were still working at that point :confused: . This explains it :hill:. Next time we'll trouble shoot all the lights to make they work :thumb:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
My rusty old 40 did pretty well. I went pretty easy on it being a Moab noob and my carb loading up caused a lot of stalling so I avoided some steeps that I should have been able to climb otherwise. Time for a rebuild. :)

Damage: One busted exhuast hanger, malfunctioning CB, lost the bolt to my radiator overflow, and sprung a coolant leak from the thermo housing on the ride home.

Upgrades: I upgraded my gas cap to a nice greasy red shop rag after leaving it in the parking lot of the Canyonlands visitor center. ;)

bigbluefj

Honorary Canuck Member
small list this year : ecm fuse pre run shake down run around town
ice cream scoop out of a birf on hell's thursday
and a fan relay on friday..

kevin:D :D :beer:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Drivers side LongField, front ring gear, rear Aisen Hub. I guess I was due! Hopefully I will get that loose nut behind the wheel fixed!

Drivers side LongField, front ring gear, rear Aisen Hub. I guess I was due! Hopefully I will get that loose nut behind the wheel fixed!

On Rice Cake? I thought you were wheeling your 80? If so, why are you running hubs on the rear?

Fixing the loose nut behing the wheel is improbable. I would bet against any long term repair on that one.:)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
No, you didn't hear. It was on Rice Krispies.

Snap, crackle, pop.

All the cool kids run hubs on the rear. Helps for when the line above applies. I'm working on a set so I can join the club!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Speaking of cool kids.... I just talked to Bobby and he is sending me out a brand new set of the latest generation of FZJ-80 Longs and inners. He wants me to send him my old ones so he can check out the wear patterns and of course the breakage. I guess, so far, I'm the only one on little bitty 35's that has broken an 80 Longfield! I did come clean on how I did it and he still stood behind them! Now thats what it takes to be in the Kewl Kids club! BTW I demanded to pay shipping as it was only fair!
No, you didn't hear. It was on Rice Krispies.

Snap, crackle, pop.

All the cool kids run hubs on the rear. Helps for when the line above applies. I'm working on a set so I can join the club!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
BTW.... When I get my new R&P (it's on it's way) I'm going to get it and 3 sets of Aisens frozen. Just curious if anyone else want to get some chit together to soften the Cryoing charge. I would suspect next week I'll be ready. Just about anything short of a cage, frame or body will fit in Bill's new tank. Lemeknow....:thumb:

Sidenote: I'm dropping by Yotayard today to get a couple sets of Aisens....anybody need anything?

EDIT: YY is out of straight axle Aisens! Anybody have a couple extra they will sell/lend me. I will snoop out more!

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
So... what breaks after the bar is raised on the Aisins and the R&P?
You cryoing your axles?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
OK, need some thoughts. I noticed on Gold Spike that my front ARB is reluctant to disengage.
When the wheel is turned, and the locker is not fully disengaged, I hear clicking reminiscent of a birf in extremis.
When it releases, no clicking. When locked, no clicking.
Worries?
No worries?

Oh, yeah, my O-rings allow gear oil to spray inside my hood. Annoying, but not urgent. When I get a round tuit. Seems to be a short service life IMHO.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
So... what breaks after the bar is raised on the Aisins and the R&P?
You cryoing your axles?

Axles are 300M heat treated Cromo! The weakest link on an 80 is the high pinion 8" third member. Eventually I will get a diamond front axle housing and use a rear 80 e-locker in the front and sell the mini truck chit to someone with a lighter more appropriate suited vehicle. Hopefully, even frozen and heat treated Aisens will still be a "fuse!" My parts failure wasn't due to weak parts but rather too much go-pedal available. If I can get the loose nut behind the steering wheel tightened up I should be fine! The good thing about what happened was showing others my "secret" line's and enjoying the driving abilities of the great group of folks in my group! It was also quite impressive how well my 80 did in locked rear wheel drive only with the occasional 3/4 turn of one front wheel assistance when absolutely needed! I have no complaints as my "Desert Run" group was a fine bunch of true wheelers! :thumb: :thumb:

BTW....speaking of awesome wheelers....please tell me someone got a vid of Chili owning the Potholes! That thar is some well earned bragging rights!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Here ya go Billy....

tuitround.jpg

OK, need some thoughts. I noticed on Gold Spike that my front ARB is reluctant to disengage.
When the wheel is turned, and the locker is not fully disengaged, I hear clicking reminiscent of a birf in extremis.
When it releases, no clicking. When locked, no clicking.
Worries?
No worries?

Oh, yeah, my O-rings allow gear oil to spray inside my hood. Annoying, but not urgent. When I get a round tuit. Seems to be a short service life IMHO.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I feel confident in speaking for Squishy, that he would like to be first on your list for that FJ80 front diff.
RE: its replacement, a Currie 9" HP would make it simple with your steering. Try to break THAT big boy!

You're too kind, UB. The potholes were the result of excellent spotting. Thanks!

Very impressive watching you do Buttscratcher in 2WD!!!!! I remember my wife kinda freaking out first time we did it. Now, it's like nothing. But in 2WD? VERY impressive.

Speaking of cool kids.... I just talked to Bobby and he is sending me out a brand new set of the latest generation of FZJ-80 Longs and inners. He wants me to send him my old ones so he can check out the wear patterns and of course the breakage. I guess, so far, I'm the only one on little bitty 35's that has broken an 80 Longfield! I did come clean on how I did it and he still stood behind them! Now thats what it takes to be in the Kewl Kids club! BTW I demanded to pay shipping as it was only fair!

Are there pictures of where this carnage took place? I'm having a hard time imagining how you managed to do this. I've been a subscriber to the theory that if you stuck to 35s you'd be pretty safe on even stock birfs if they were in good shape.

I have a set of hubs in my stash that I really don't have for sale but if you can't scrounge some up locally let me know.