• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Moab Carnage

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
First off, big thanks to Robbie for fixing my heater hose and Sarah's actuator and thanks to squishey for tightening my front diff bolts.

On the way there the throttle body heater hose sprung a leak and I overheated 40 miles from Moab. I let it coll down, added water and made it in to town. Robbie used some of my spare hose and replaced it. It was well worn near the throttle body connection and sprung a leak.

Sarah's Rear locker would engage, but would not disengage unless you drove it on pavement in Hi for a bit. Robbie figured out that the actuator that came with the locker (Locker was retrofitted) had been assembled back wards. Most likely fell apart when the PO removed it and he assembled it wrong before shipping. It's also missing the O ring. Robbie re-assembled it correctly and I need to take it off again and sand it down and make an O ring with FPIG. Worked great the rest of the trip.

On Cliff Hanger, my front diff started leaking and squishey climbed under and said the front diff bolts where all loose and looked like the gasket had ripped. Tightened them all up and it went to a very very slow leak, one or two drops an hour. I will need to pull the diff to do it right, but since I don't have time to do that before I head out of town, I bought some permetex and rubbed it into the seam along the bottom and the leak has stopped. Hopefully, this will hold up until I have time to address it properly in July. Didn't want to come back to a puddle in the garage or have someone drive it while I wasn't able to watch the fluid.

My subtank setup died on the way to Moab. Pressed the button right before Glenwood and nothing happened. Troubleshot it in Moab and the subtank was full, but the sender is telling the ECU it's empty (connection to ground) Troubleshoot all the wiring and turns out my sender is bad. Disconnected the sender and it worked great on the way home. I'll order a new sender and drop the tank when I get back and replace it.

Oh, I can't forget that I had problems with my camper. I had 110 volts at all of my outlets and it would not power anything. Being an EE, I tore into the wiring and found no issues. Robbie, walked up to the main plug and saw a prong was bent and it was not making good enough contact to supply any current. Thanks Robbie.

The only other issue is Sarah's truck stalled a couple of times while wheeling, never on the road and I have not addressed that one. Any ideas?

Thanks again to Robbie and Squishey:bowdown: We all had a great time and our carnage was realtively mild.

What's your Moab Carnage?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
My rack mounts broke on a Kane Creek pre-run. I had a squeak, looked at the rack, couldn't see anything wrong, it started squeaking to high heaven, I stopped and found my rack somewhat not straight :eek:. Loaded everything back in the rear of the 4Runner, and put the rack in Squishey's bed, all was good but a tear in my soft top and some paint removed from my cab roof.:rolleyes:

I got 2mpg better on the way home, no kiddin'. That rack might not get reinstalled, at least not permanently!!

Oh, I can't forget that I had problems with my camper. I had 110 volts at all of my outlets and it would not power anything. Being an EE, I tore into the wiring and found no issues. Robbie, walked up to the main plug and saw a prong was bent and it was not making good enough contact to supply any current. Thanks Robbie.
In a brief stint as a motorcycle mechanic, I once disassembled a motorcycle only to discover it was out of gas...:hill: sometimes a little knowledge is worse than less knowledge.:lmao:

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Pre-Moab Carnage: I nearly ripped my driver's door off pushing the LX out of the garage 30 minutes before leaving. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Moab Carnage: I had *way* too much fun driving through mud puddles and up the sand hill on Poison Spyder. Ended up packing the trailer plug with wet sand & mud. The resulting short blew 3 different fuses a little down the trail. Brake fuse prevented shifting out of park. I discovered the shifting problem when I parked my front tires on the edge of a 100' drop, then decided it was "fun" but not "smart" to leave my kids and Mary & Jeremy sitting there. With Ben's help, figured out that a pen in the NSS hole was the quickest way out. While we were trouble-shooting at Milt's after the run, Jeff suggested the trailer harness as a likely source. Sure-enough, cleared the sand & mud and the brake fuse quit blowing. Later I figured out the signal fuse was also blown. 9pm that night, on the road home, I was pulled over by Colorado Highway Patrol for no running lights. Drove to Fruita with hazards and found a 3rd blown fuse.

Then, of course, there's the carnage I created in the Busey camp... :eek: :eek: :bawl:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Count me in for three birfields. Two of them 2nd gen Longfields. I gassed it full lock when I got home and the two I wheeled on Saturday are seconds from failure. One short side inner axle, all four leaf springs, a right rear shock, and my Orion spit out all it's fluid again. I haven't looked for the leak but there was an awful lot on the trailer after the drive home.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Damage:
10 inches of loose chrome fender trim finally got ripped off by the right front tire.

Repairs:
Pounded the fender seam a little flatter in camp.
Set the radiator fan to turn on sooner.
Jeremy helped me wire my tailpipe a little tighter.

All in all, < 5 minutes of repairs on both the trail and highway. Pretty happy about that!

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
I broke a right rear shock, which was my own fault for being in a hurry and waiting until the last second and a front passenger motor mount. my front shackles gotta go, too short and i need anti-inversions bad. other than that the cheap 60 did great.

There are some others in the club I'm interested in hearing about as well that haven't posted up.

wesintl

RS Moderator
It's time to rip off all of my rear bumper so I can open the barn doors. The stockers got all jacked up on spike with no step in the middle for support.

Battery juice was on it's way out all week. Sunday am I could start. Green machine hooked up for a jump and I could never get enough juice to crank. I little pull through slickrock to pop the clutch. I still can't get it to turn over :(

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Wow, Mike broke a lot more than I realized. Or are you just doing preventative maintenance because you know your birfs were assembled wrong?

The Brahma didn't break anything that I'm aware of, still some stuff that's gotta get fixed, but very happy with it seeing I was able to do Fins, Hells, Wipeout Hill and Gemini Bridges plus some expedition-style wheelin' with no problems.

I'm interested in hearing Uncle Ben's final diagnosis...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Count me in for three birfields. Two of them 2nd gen Longfields. I gassed it full lock when I got home and the two I wheeled on Saturday are seconds from failure. One short side inner axle, all four leaf springs, a right rear shock, and my Orion spit out all it's fluid again. I haven't looked for the leak but there was an awful lot on the trailer after the drive home.
Holy moly. Time to take that beautiful FJ40 body and bolt it to a shortened FZJ80 rolling chassis, doncha think?

I'm lookin' for UB's carnage pix. He figgered it will amount to a Long due to hub leakage, and a pinion & ring gear due to pinion leakage. Mebbe more.
Ricecake is now Rice Krispie.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I am worried he bent his front housing as well.:( We are pretty sure a few teeth are missing off the ring gear up front.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I know a fella who excels at making straight housings out of bent ones.

Rotating pinions too. And marrying Dana ends to whatever centers. And vice-versa. Not expensive either if you bring him bare housings.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Had a little carnage on Friday when I got stuck on the "Escalator", when I slid back into the hole. I got a small dent/tear under the right tail light where I welded a bracket for the spare tire carrier. The spare also dented in my tail gate some and cracked the plastic "handle" on the back of the 4runner. The window survived so all I need is a couple of pushes from the inside to fix it.
A few small scrapes on the rear bumper and left front fender also thanks to the Escalator.

That is it for carnage, was very happy about that and how the 4Runner did for its first time. I don't know how I wheeled before without those monster tires and super low gearing, it made everything seem easy sort of. I still made a ton of mistakes either choosing my line or to much or little throttle but all in all we survived all intact and with a giant grin on my face :D

16 days till I return to Moab for Memorial day weekend, I can't wait to hit the trails again and show my wife and friends the reason I spend so many lonely nights in the garage...........:thumb:

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
sheared one of the two studs on the front housing that holds my leaf spring plates on, decided against Pritchett on Saturday just in case, had to be content with BTR on Friday and being a passenger on Saturday :)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I got a check engine light on the way down Vail pass, P0401, egr. Was on all week (like 1/3 the 80's I passed through tech inspection). I was pointed to a doodad that I need to remove & clean which should correct the problem, tried last night but can't get it loose. Will tackle again...

I've got some rubbing from the 35's, will lower the bump stops in back just a tad so I kiss the inner fender wells less, and thinking of just lifting the front up another 1".. I hit the bolts that hold the flares on with the outer edge of the tire when at full compressing during extreme baja maneuvers. If more lift doesn't work I'll add to the bumpstops.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I crunched the opening on my tailpipe pretty flat -- several times. I just hogged it out with a long breaker bar and it was fine.

The 80 performed flawlessly on the trail.

Hants

Rising Sun Member

Hants

Rising Sun Member
That reminds me. I still have your glass.........:lmao:

It's a collector's item: Cup-o-endless-margaritas :guapo:

Bring it to my camp anytime -- free refills for life! I'll have a talk with the bartender and make sure he doesn't share too much joy-juice too fast next time :drool:

I'm glad you're chuckling about it now. :thumb:

I was getting worried that I was going walk into the garage one morning and find a puddle of slag where I park my :Princess:. :eek:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Carnage? I drive like a wuss :)

Let's see...Thursday on Porcupine I scraped and banged my way all over the place but the only carnage was a semi-smooshed tailpipe and the power coat marks I left on the rocks :hill:

Friday on Fins and Things I had a green 60 roll backwards into me while parked at the potty stop and dent up the brand new ARB :rant: - This was the same 60 that broke a motor mount on Porcupine Rim on Thursday and then spilled ATF all over their cargo area which promptly started seeping out onto the trail. After rolling back into me they promptly left :(

Saturday on Poison Spider more powder coat losses, more tail pipe denting, and a busted gut seeing Leif stick his 40 and then watching Hants and Ben on the sand hill :thumb:

Aside from a now red colored black vehicle, a ton of sand inside, and about a brazillion pieces of cotton I'd say my wuss driving skills did me good :hill: and if only I had not parked behind the 60 :rolleyes:

BTW, how hot is too hot for an 80 engine? Pulling Vail Pass and Eisenhower the best I could muster was 25 mph. It was a long grind with high RPMs and max temp showed 225 degrees. I actually got to see the stock temp gauge move above 1/2 way :eek:

Last edited:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I'll play:

I shat out my front license plate on rock chucker (the video is quite funny) nicked my winch cable on an optional obstacle trying to out do chris in the fj, and blew a compressor hose on my compressor.

oh, and my interior got dusty

j