mixing text and images in a thread?

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
How do you add text under an up loaded image? or between images?

In most cases I use my image host (photobucket) instead of uploading to this site. Then you can place text between the image links.

I'm not sure you can do the same thing if you upload to here (I never figured out how :homer:) but maybe Wes can provide some insight.

wesintl

RS Moderator
In most cases I use my image host (photobucket) instead of uploading to this site. Then you can place text between the image links.

I'm not sure you can do the same thing if you upload to here (I never figured out how :homer:) but maybe Wes can provide some insight.

That's right. Most of the people that do it that way host images elsewhere and link to them.

I'm not aware of how to do it attachment wise if there is a way.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You can do it if you host them here, no problem, remember this is a member's only deal :D
nelson.gif

here's the link, once you upload to the site then you just use the {img} and {/img} tags surrounded by the url of your image, imbed that sucker anywhere you want. If you use the normal "attachment" method then they're going to come out below your post every time. hth..

wesintl

RS Moderator
The only issue I have with that is Compress and resize your photos. Using the link to upload huge photos all the time will suck up space fast. The link was designed to be used for large documents, video files etc. I would still prefer that photos were attachments, and the reason for the size limits on photo attachments.

If we get to a point (at some point we will) we'll have to pay for more space or have people remove images documents which will break links. I guess it's no different than someone pulling their own photos from photobucket, flickr, or any other links.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
The only issue I have with that is Compress and resize your photos.

Sorry to hijack, but it is somewhat related. What would be the the optimum size for images that we'd like to put up on the site?

The first few I put up were huge, recently I've been using Irfanview to resize them so they are smaller. I'd like to see how the size compares to what would be preferred.

The images I put up to use in my posts are/would be related directly with work that I'm doing on my toyota and might be beneficial to others at some point in the future. In general, I consider them to be "property of the club" and storing them on the site will insure they are around long after I may not be. But, if they take up too much space and end up costing the club more money, that would not be good.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
IIRC, we still have a lot of space left at least for now, and tech-related pictures are always welcome! I'm sure Wes will let us know if we're nearing the threshold so we can decide what to do. I'm using the 800x600 pixel size in Irfanview, comes out pretty low on the Kb usage, but then again I'm only using a 4MP camera to start with anyway...

wesintl

RS Moderator
It would really depend on the camera and settings used.

For the forum were generous and it's set to 150.0 KB 1600 1600 for most photos.
If you close to that but over no big deal.

I'm not going to police the files. I Know with my D80 I could easily have over 2000+kb photos. If you need to give someone a high res shot no big deal upload it here. If perry uploaded all his high res photos of wheelin we'd have to buy some space ;). It's not like space is expensive but I don't think we need to waste it either.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I'm using the 800x600 pixel size

x2

That is about the max size most folk's monitors will display before the image starts moving off the screen. At home with my 19" LCDs and higher resolution pics at 1024x768 work fine but if I post 'em up and review the thread at work I get the scrolling window syndrome which is annoying to me :D. So, I try to post all pics up at 800x600 and if someone needs/wants a higher res version I can email them the 3MB file :hill:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
FYI: I pretty much use 800 pixels as my max dimension. Most of my pics are 600 or 500 pixels wide. They load faster and eat less of our storage space and bandwidth.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
WAY cool find Wes!! TY