• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Mini Truck SAS

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
I've had this truck since 2010, and she's been a great companion on the trail. Well, minus a failed fuel pump and a broken rear axle shaft. It came with a chevy 4.3, rhino liner, a 4 inch block lift, and a 3 inch body lift.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.03.35 AM.png

A few years ago I replaced the tired toyota rears with chevy 63 inch springs, which ride like a cadillac and have the potential for miles of droop. The front was still torsion spring IFS, and it was bashed, bent and abused, so it was time to get something better - an 85 pickup axle.
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.33.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.15.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.14.57 AM.png

I decided to go with the Sky Offraod SAS kit for good reviews and USA steel. I also am using their 3f springs for a low-lift swap. My goal is to keep it level with the rear chevys at ~4". Everyone asks why I didn't go linked. The setups I've seen are a mile high, and the price tag for a linked setup was too much to stomach. I also want to keep some of the 'mad max' appeal, and coils would have been too fancy.

Here's the progress so far. We plasma'd off the IFS. There are a lot of weld points so this took a while. Also, @Doughboy is a saint for letting me borrow a plasma cutter.
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.42.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.42.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.04.17 PM.png

Blew a hole through the frame and added rear shackle mounts. Then began the task of cleaning up the frame. This took for-ev-ver and is a miserable job.
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.43.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.43.27 AM.png

Next step was to start welding. Added some Ruff Stuff frame reinforcement plates, and attached the front hanger. I decided to place the hanger 1" forward. This lengthens my wheelbase and gives me a better approach angle. It also gives more clearance between the 3rd member and the oil pan, which could be an issue if I ever get around to swapping a V8. Combined with the rear-up-front style springs, I think its a forward move of 3 or 4 inches. It might require some body cutting, and Im hoping it doesn't look too funny.
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.44.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.44.47 AM.png

The rest went pretty quickly, and here's where it sits now. Just waiting for a few parts. The steering box will be mounted forward significantly so the drag link and tie rod don't contact under full compression. Then there's the brakes, front drive shaft, and shocks. I'm modifying the IFS hubs to fit inside of Tacoma rotors, which will make the front axle match the rear in width.
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.45.26 AM.png

More to come.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Nice! Looking good!
It always makes me happy when I see folks making these trucks solid axle like they should have been to begin with from the factory.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
I wanna know who buys a single cab pickup for comfort and handling. Assuming thats why they used the IFS.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
@DanS Thanks! One of these days I need to get an update on all your projects, house, vehicle or other.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Well, all you IFS fans, my old "long travel" setup is for sale.
Ha! Backet lifts: Making 4WD IFS worse for crawling since 1977.

Fan is such a strong word. How's about we go with just-real-world-living-with-real-world-constraints-and-thus-indifferent anti-hater?

Last edited:

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Built the hubs with a Cruiser Outfitters kit. Here they are before and after being blasted and turned on the lathe by @066wally.

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.03.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.02.48 AM.png

And on the axle. Discs slide over the hub. Again the IFS hub adds 3" to the total axle width to match the rear.
Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.01.20 AM.png

After some fiddling with the brakes to make sure everything fit correctly, I was able to get it all put together and put it on its own tires for the first time. This feels really, really good! Rocking the truck back and forth, it seems like there is a lot more travel, so hoping for a better ride.

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.00.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.00.13 AM.png

Now to finish the rest:
-Shocks
-Steering (place box forward a couple inches, lengthen steering shaft, convert to AN low pressure line)
-Brake lines

If I decide to go after a 5.3 this winter, I'll wait to have a new front drive shaft made. So it might be 2wd for a little while.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Nice job Dan! You're trucking along at a good clip on this project. You did your whole axle swap in less time than it took me to rebuild one side of my 40 axle. :hill: :zilla:

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
@MDH33 Thanks! Yeah I'm surprising myself a little bit. But things are slowing down with all the small stuff.

I got the relocated steering box installed with a reduced-drop arm. I moved the box up and forward to keep the arm from contacting anything at full compression. I got lucky with the steering wheel shaft and it baaaarely is long enough to reach the box.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.10.48 AM.png

Sadly I went a little overboard. Oops.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.11.00 AM.png

I took a grinder to the underside of the frame to remove enough for the castle nut to clear. It clears and I didn't poke through to the other side. Its TIGHT though. Like Im hoping theres enough room for a paint layer kinds of tight.

Now everything looks and feels clear, and the hubs will touch the steering stops when locked left or right, so I should have full range of motion. The steering box was a pain, so Im hoping brake lines and shocks go much faster.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
How’s the stance? Hard to tell with the angle of your pics.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Garage is too small to get a good perspective. Its more of a lift than I wanted and has the reverse stinkbug look. Rear will get lifted at some point. Im going to wait for the springs to settle before I do anything.

Thinking I need a new garage. Might have to deflate tires to get it out.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Made it out of the garage and took a quick test drive. Still reaaaaly hoping for some more settling of the springs, but I think I might have to lift the rear a bit. Ordering some longer rear shackles from ruff stuff.

Tomorrow I'll take it to get aligned. My shadetree alignment job isn't satisfactory at speeds above 30 or so.

Screenshot 2021-11-15 153021.png
Screenshot 2021-11-15 153056.png
Screenshot 2021-11-15 153128.png
Screenshot 2021-11-15 153144.png

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
They will settle once you get some miles on them.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
So I got the guts to take it on the highway after alignment. Ride is just fine, but the steering is going to take some getting used to. Have to pay attention at higher speeds. There is also some prolonged rocking after hitting bumps in the road. I'm starting to look in to sway bar options. I don't expect magic to happen, but anything to make highway miles less taxing is worth it.

Getting high off chassis paint in the meantime.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 10.46.59 AM.png

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So I got the guts to take it on the highway after alignment. Ride is just fine, but the steering is going to take some getting used to. Have to pay attention at higher speeds. There is also some prolonged rocking after hitting bumps in the road. I'm starting to look in to sway bar options. I don't expect magic to happen, but anything to make highway miles less taxing is worth it.

Getting high off chassis paint in the meantime.

View attachment 99929
Why are you so afraid of a little rocking down the highway, be more adventurous Dan.