• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Merits of Ham radio wheeling

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Hum, I've been thinking about it the last few days. And the comments Hulk made about it being the only way to communicate to the rear on some of his trail runs and all the other advantages of having one on runs rings home. I would like another nice tool in my 4x4 toolbox.

Now I admit I usually don't have a problem talking to others on runs as long as people cb's are working correctly. But, that's not always the case and there are always late comers and people trying to find the group and such. Understanding that so many Rising Sun guy's have these things also encourages it's use. So it sounds like a nice upgrade to a trail leaders communication package and an advanced tool for an advanced trail leader. Sign me up for the class. I'm going' for it.

I'll buck up and find a place for another radio and antenna I guess. I plan on just spending effort on getting certified and the radio and antenna installed. But, I also don't want another hobby so you will probably just hear me on runs.

Roger, niner tango - out.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
are there systems that hold up to water and dust? I'm not sure I want to put a lot of money into a radio that won't last if it gets dirty.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
are there systems that hold up to water and dust? I'm not sure I want to put a lot of money into a radio that won't last if it gets dirty.

How many years has the cb in your 40 been working? Same schtuf just higher grade.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I'm sorry, my CB is over at the Pawn Shop. The Crack Heads needed it more than me. Radio is gone, tools are gone...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm sorry, my CB is over at the Pawn Shop. The Crack Heads needed it more than me. Radio is gone, tools are gone...
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :mad::rant: IH8THIEVES! Lowest life form on earth!!
blowup.gif

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dang Root!

I hope you get a break from all of the bad luck you've been having! Either that, or there had better be a silver lining to it all!

As for a waterproof/dustproof radio, here are a couple things to take a look at.

HT:
VX-7R

Mobile:
FT-2800
This one is advertized in the Aus. desert in an 80:
FT-1802M

80 series on the poster

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I hope you get a break from all of the bad luck you've been having! Either that, or there had better be a silver lining to it all!

This one is advertized in the Aus. desert in an 80:
FT-1802M

Ditto! That is a cool little (and powerful) 2m radio!