• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Merits of Ham radio wheeling

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Advantages and disadvantages, Discuss...

Last edited by a moderator:
im interested. those times are good also

Thanks
Sean Jones

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I will try and gain access to our standard meeting room at Stevinson. Stand by for verification...

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel I think BVB may interested also I sent him a link

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Nathaniel I think BVB may interested also I sent him a link

Nice!

Is it just 14 bucks?

Three Amateur operators that have been certified as a Volunteer Examiners(and one as a Volunteer Examiner Coordinator) must administer the exam. This is usually most available through a club. The processing fee the Amateur Radio Clubs charge to administer the exam(FCC paperwork fee) is $14. The license from the FCC is actually free.

I really don't want to add another electrical thing to the truck, but I guess I could go hand-held. I'm in.

Just throw out the CB and you'll have plenty of room! :D
Glad to hear it.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Just throw out the CB and you'll have plenty of room! :D
Glad to hear it.

Yes, then you too can be all stiff and nerd like when you call up Whiskey Zero India India November! Or you could just keep the CB and talk to the rest of us like normal and without the top button on the shirt fastened! :p::lmao:

"CQ......this is Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November seeking Kilo Charlie Zero Zebra Alpha Foxtrot........I was going to tell you to watch out for that rock about to puncture your gas tank but it's too late.....Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November clear" :rolleyes: :p:

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey :zilla:, in class you'll learn you only need to identify your call sign once every 10 minutes. Doesn't even need to be the first transmission either. And in fact, on the trail running simplex on low power who's keeping track, anyway. chat it up.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
One REALLY nice thing is you don't have to put up with the over powered, red neck, bible thumping yahoos chattering over the top of you. Or the Spanish language skips, either. :eek:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Keep the banter mild, folks.

Hey, way to go! You are already through half of the exam with knowing the correct phonetic alphabet! Just finish it! See, the class already is working!

However, I stray slightly from the "official ITU phonetic alphabet" characters, and it is Whiskey Zero, Item-Item Nancy. Originally my grandfathers callsign(now silent-key), and also how he gave the callsign on the air.

Yes, then you too can be all stiff and nerd like when you call up Whiskey Zero India India November! Or you could just keep the CB and talk to the rest of us like normal and without the top button on the shirt fastened! :p::lmao:

"CQ......this is Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November seeking Kilo Charlie Zero Zebra Alpha Foxtrot........I was going to tell you to watch out for that rock about to puncture your gas tank but it's too late.....Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November clear" :rolleyes: :p:

K, it is too bad you are purveying Ross' argument against CB by further radicating the idea that everyone who wants to stay CB is a foul-mouthed hooligan who cares less about his buddy decapitating himself on the obstacles than he does in hearing the sound of his own voice. :D

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hey :zilla:, in class you'll learn you only need to identify your call sign once every 10 minutes. Doesn't even need to be the first transmission either. And in fact, on the trail running simplex on low power who's keeping track, anyway. chat it up.

Roger that Kilo Charlie Zero Zebra Alpha Foxtrot! ;)

Pop quiz....
What term describes a brief transmission that does not include any station identification?
a. A test emission with no identification required.
b. An illegal un-modulated transmission
c. An illegal unidentified transmission
d. A non-voice ID transmission

:p::hill:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hey, way to go! You are already through half of the exam with knowing the correct phonetic alphabet! Just finish it! See, the class already is working!

However, I stray slightly from the "official ITU phonetic alphabet" characters, and it is Whiskey Zero, Item-Item Nancy. Originally my grandfathers callsign(now silent-key), and also how he gave the callsign on the air.

K, it is too bad you are purveying Ross' argument against CB by further radicating the idea that everyone who wants to stay CB is a foul-mouthed hooligan who cares less about his buddy decapitating himself on the obstacles than he does in hearing the sound of his own voice. :D

Ouch....wheres the love man? :confused: :hill:
Preaching about the need to throw down a wad of cash and "upgrade" to better communication seems like telling someone to throw in a locker instead of replacing their bald tires! I agree about having better communication possibilities in the runs but there are still folks out there with no radio at all. "Tossing out your CB's" seems like a boisterous statement defending your desire to be the king of the airwaves! It creates the same communication loss into the run as no radio at all! Maybe instead of focusing so much energy on talking to other time zones you should come back to earth and focus on how can you communicate to others that are less than a mile from you! :D

Last edited:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Serve. Point. Game.

The class is only done for those who choose to participate. Thank you for sharing your desire not to do so.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Serve. Point. Game.

The class is only done for those who choose to participate. Thank you for sharing your desire not to do so.

I never said I didn't want to attend! I have been and am just stirring the pot. I feel this IS a great asset to the club and I embrace to whole theory. Whether or not I become a ham is irrelevant. Seeing the posts on MUD and watching clubs like NM, AZ and even TX dividing on communication choices is freaking stupid! What is Rising Sun about? My feeling is clubs like ours are there so folks can join and learn the ropes safely and network with friendships and resources with a huge side benefit of working together to preserve our privileges for generations to come. We all equip our rigs differently but some simple things like basic communication is a safety item, change that item from simple to technical and the end goal will be lost! ;) :thumb::thumb::cheers:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
On the first runs I went on with Windy City back in 1996, I had no CB. Soon I found out I was missing out on half the fun. The very first mod I made to my 1981 FJ40 was to buy a CB, and it's still in use today.

On the Ghost Town Run in the summer of 2006, we had an enormous group. We soon found that the back couldn't communicate very well with the front with our CBs. Later, we had one group go to town for lunch, while another group of us chose to hit another trail and have a picnic. Even though we were only a few miles apart, we couldn't communicate. The need for something better than a CB became clear.

I wasn't completely convinced until I did the pre-run of Hotel Rock and Arch Canyon with the Wasatch guys in early March of this year (2007). The guys with CBs couldn't talk with one another from front to back, while the guys with Ham had no problems. As we left on Sunday morning, Ben Ashcraft and Dan Reinmuth did a test to see how far the could transmit without a repeater. Result was about 30 miles. That was when I made the decision to get my license and buy a radio.

It's not an elitist thing. It's just a better tool.

I wasn't happy to spend more money on another radio when I already had a CB in each of my Land Cruisers. But as soon as I used it on the trail, I was glad I'd spent the money. Like a Toyota, it just works. No need to constantly tweak it.

If you already have a CB and you don't see the need for another radio, no worries. If you have neither and are wondering which one to buy, I'd make the case to go straight to ham.

I don't understand this hostile and negative campaign against the use of ham radio. I think it started as a joke. Is it still a joke?