Looking for Practical/hands-on learning for HF.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I'm back to studying for my General, for the 10th time in 4 years. :) In addition to the book learning, I'm looking for some hands-on, for lack of a better term, exercises to get comfortable with this new world and radio.

I just picked up an HF radio and antenna so i do some practical messing around. does anyone have a suggestion on how to get started receiving and listening in? For instance, any bands/frequencies, settings to fiddle with to get acquainted with it. any guidance is appreciated.

thanks!

-shawn

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You mean, like, you need an Elmer. Or a Ham & Eggs run. There was one H&E that we contacted Bruce Miller, WØDW, down in Raton from the Heritage Square parking lot in Golden when I had the FT-857/ATAS-120 in my truck. Good times.

You're always welcome to visit my QTH. :yagi:

I don't have a mobile station in the truck anymore preferring to do a portable with the FT-857 now. I also have the station set-up at the house. I have to fly some copper tomorrow to get it back on the air. I had to take down my antenna due to some contractor work and I keep meaning to put it back up.

In some seriousness, not that it helps you right now, but I would like to do a proper Field Day again. Last time there was anything like a "club" one was when Brian Noble, KCØYRM, and I did a two-station phone. That's in June.

Last edited:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
It actually is helpful...and you're right...an elmer is what i need. I'm doing the YT thing and such, and I love learning new stuff. I'll keep messing around. I'm finding it's about as much art as science.