• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Looking for Practical/hands-on learning for HF.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I'm back to studying for my General, for the 10th time in 4 years. :) In addition to the book learning, I'm looking for some hands-on, for lack of a better term, exercises to get comfortable with this new world and radio.

I just picked up an HF radio and antenna so i do some practical messing around. does anyone have a suggestion on how to get started receiving and listening in? For instance, any bands/frequencies, settings to fiddle with to get acquainted with it. any guidance is appreciated.

thanks!

-shawn

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You mean, like, you need an Elmer. Or a Ham & Eggs run. There was one H&E that we contacted Bruce Miller, WØDW, down in Raton from the Heritage Square parking lot in Golden when I had the FT-857/ATAS-120 in my truck. Good times.

You're always welcome to visit my QTH. :yagi:

I don't have a mobile station in the truck anymore preferring to do a portable with the FT-857 now. I also have the station set-up at the house. I have to fly some copper tomorrow to get it back on the air. I had to take down my antenna due to some contractor work and I keep meaning to put it back up.

In some seriousness, not that it helps you right now, but I would like to do a proper Field Day again. Last time there was anything like a "club" one was when Brian Noble, KCØYRM, and I did a two-station phone. That's in June.

Last edited:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
It actually is helpful...and you're right...an elmer is what i need. I'm doing the YT thing and such, and I love learning new stuff. I'll keep messing around. I'm finding it's about as much art as science.