• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

LCA bushing replacement

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yea you can buy the bushings, control arms, and ball joints as separate pieces
I may have derailed here.

I'm talking about on my 2008 Tacoma. Toyota doesn't sell ball joints for 2003+ 4Runner or 2005+ Tacoma as individual items. You can only buy a whole control arm for these trucks. So as a result whether or not I could potentially get control arm bushings alone from Toyota I can't say because to replace my BJs I had to buy control arm assemblies anyway.

Aftermarket sells all the pieces and parts, so it's always an option if one decides not to stick with factory parts, of course.

For your truck Toyota does sell BJs alone so you wouldn't replace everything all at once. I'm not suggesting you should do arms or BJs necessarily in your case.

Sorry for the confusion.

C.Gerdo

Rock Stacker
Definitely check (and probably replace) the lower ball joints at the same time. They are know to break and when they do, they cause lots of damage. Use Toyota lower ball joints. They are the only ones the last. Also, bad steering rack bushings can cause a clunk.
Ploy bushings are great because they don’t bind but they will wear out more often.

Last edited:

mike759

New-ish
Definitely check (and probably replace) the lower ball joints at the same time. They are know to break and when they do, they cause lots of damage. Use Toyota lower ball joints. They are the only ones the last. Also, bad steering rack bushings can cause a clunk.
Ploy bushings are great because they don’t bind but they will wear out more often.
I had a shop give it a shakedown when I attempted to get an alignment a few weeks and they claim the ball joints are good, so I'm hoping that's true. I swapped steering rack bushings for energy suspensions poly ones like two years ago so I'm hoping they're still good too. I'm pretty confident sway bar bushings are bad but just never bothered with them because they're negligible, so I'm praying that maybe its that and not actually lca but I'm usually not that lucky haha

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I recently went down this road and ended up with new lca bushings, steering rack bushings, then steering rack, lbjs, then shocks. It was a domino effect. It just developed a krink noise and I am thinking it might be time for new upper uniballs which will turn into getting new ucas with ball joints because I am done replacing those uniballs every 18 to 24 months.

mike759

New-ish
I recently went down this road and ended up with new lca bushings, steering rack bushings, then steering rack, lbjs, then shocks. It was a domino effect. It just developed a krink noise and I am thinking it might be time for new upper uniballs which will turn into getting new ucas with ball joints because I am done replacing those uniballs every 18 to 24 months.
And you still have the noise? What do you have as upper ball joints? I've had JBA upper control arms, which I think have uniballs, for about two years now and have not had an issue (with them at least)

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
The noise is recent. I have Camburg uppers with the uniball. The arms are 13 years old but I was replacing the balls about once a year in Ohio and around every two out here in Colorado. They were on my daily 4runner in Ohio and I was putting massive miles on that truck. My 4runner here second truck the ucas have been on) is a weekend warrior and gets 1/10 the miles put on it.
I still plan to figure out where the noise is coming from before I toss these, but last time I changed the uniballs, I swore I would not do it again and just get something less exposed to the elements since the technology has come a long way since 2011.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
And you still have the noise? What do you have as upper ball joints? I've had JBA upper control arms, which I think have uniballs, for about two years now and have not had an issue (with them at least)
Doesn't JBA use GM ball joints?

mike759

New-ish
Doesn't JBA use GM ball joints?
1713449308490.png

claim to be made in-house and my bad they are "ball joints'

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
View attachment 129112
claim to be made in-house and my bad they are "ball joints'
Those are kind of cool. Rebuildable ball joints are the best of both worlds. I like my BJ Camburgs but honestly now seeing these if I had it to do over this is way I'd go.

Camburg used OEM BJs so I have to use aftermarket. That or buy $400 arms just to press out the BJs. They came up with their own BJ that's similar to a factory. At $300 a pair. Less than $800 for Toyota but more than $100/pair Delco junk.

WestwardCruiser

Wincher
I had a shop give it a shakedown when I attempted to get an alignment a few weeks and they claim the ball joints are good, so I'm hoping that's true. I swapped steering rack bushings for energy suspensions poly ones like two years ago so I'm hoping they're still good too. I'm pretty confident sway bar bushings are bad but just never bothered with them because they're negligible, so I'm praying that maybe its that and not actually lca but I'm usually not that lucky haha
Might just want to pull your sway bar completely - very simple to do and when it's out, if the noise is gone - there's your issue.