• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Knuckle Rebuild

Chris

Hard Core 4+
:eek: This knucklehead is going to rebuild the knuckles on my FJ62.

Yeah, yeah, I've read the FSM, watched the 80 rebuild DVD and anything else I can here and on mud.

Still I'm intimidated and gladly offer beer, pizza, whatever for a bit of assistance while gaining experience. Since I'll be tearing it apart I also have new rotors, calipers and pads.

Timeframe? Days, nights, anytime this coming week.
Where? My son-in-laws garage in Aurora

Thanks!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Get a seal puller if you don't already have one. Screwdrivers are bad substitutes. And if you are planning on disassembling the bell, just buy the pipe you'll need to pop the inner/outer axles apart. I tried the whole vise/punch/hit it in the right spot bit, it's not worth it. I'll buy you :beer: if you take longer than me, 27 hours total :eek::D

Chris

Hard Core 4+
subzali said:
Get a seal puller if you don't already have one. Screwdrivers are bad substitutes. And if you are planning on disassembling the bell, just buy the pipe you'll need to pop the inner/outer axles apart. I tried the whole vise/punch/hit it in the right spot bit, it's not worth it. I'll buy you :beer: if you take longer than me, 27 hours total :eek::D

I think I have a few SST's lined up and do plan on buying a seal puller.

disassembling the bell? - buy the pipe? Now I'm adding more hours since I don't know what you're talking about :confused:

27 hours? Doesn't sound too bad to me. I just may pick up drinking again and the first will be on you!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
You know, getting the 6 balls and cage separated to make sure the inside moving surface of the birfield is completely clean. I mean since you're all the way in there you might as well take the extra five minutes and make sure it's done right. It's good experience too :p: . You have to break the snap rings on the inner axle so you can slide the birfield bell off. I can't believe at least the DVD didn't talk about it :confused:

Here is what I'm talking about, the thing is this procedure takes about 5 seconds whereas any other way of separating the bell/balls/cage takes ???? I never was successful, but spent about a 1/2 hour with the vice. With your rebuild kit you should have gotten new snap rings...

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Having a partswasher is very helpful. If not you'll want about 5 cans of brake cleaner per side. Have 3 5gal buckets and many rolls of the blue throw out paper rags. You don't need to separate the axle/birf. It'll take you 6 hours for the 1st side and 3 hours for the other. Check that you can get the 4mm bolts out of your hub before you begin your project. That got me as I had to replace hubs also $100 I didn't budget. Get a few punches and razorblades, gasket remover. Cardboard and lots of it for your garage floor.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Chris-

TP for the goo in the axles... works great. :D

I could help next week on Tuesday as its my day off, but no can do this Tuesday.

This is not a hard job just messy. You can do it man! :thumb:

Drew

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Thanks to you all for the suggestions, looks like it'll be fine. I'll shoot for getting it done in under 27 hours.

Drew, if I'm not done by next week I may call on you :lmao:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
red cruiser said:
Thanks to you all for the suggestions, looks like it'll be fine. I'll shoot for getting it done in under 27 hours.

Drew, if I'm not done by next week I may call on you :lmao:

Sounds good Chris, if you get in a jam, just give a hollar and we will walk you through it.

Drew

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for mentioning that great write-up Ken. Thought I'd read all there was to read. Guess it's worth browsing the non 60 series stuff now and then.

I'm sure that has helped a lot of people tackling this for the first time. It's beginning to feel much less intimidating. :)

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Crash said:
Got it done yet? :rolleyes:

Almost.

Almost got one side done that is ;)

Didn't need the 54mm hub socket on the drivers side, loose enough to do by hand. :confused:

Subzali, 6 hours down, looking like that beer might not be mine. But I haven't touched the right side yet :D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Didn't need the 54mm hub socket on the drivers side, loose enough to do by hand.

Yikes!!! does the spindle look ok? that's too loose, obviously.

Subzali, 6 hours down, looking like that beer might not be mine. But I haven't touched the right side yet
Not a bad time, I bet the other side takes 3.5. doesn't look like either one of you guys get to start drinkin' over this... prolly a good thing. :)

Chris

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
Yikes!!! does the spindle look ok? that's too loose, obviously.

I was surprised that they were so loose and more surprised that the spindle looks fine. Not jumping to conclusions but suspect I won't have the vibration I had before this.

nakman said:
Not a bad time, I bet the other side takes 3.5. doesn't look like either one of you guys get to start drinkin' over this... prolly a good thing. :)

After 25 years of sobriety I agree :thumb:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Good luck. Now get off the computer and get back in the garage.

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Knuckle rebuild, is done. New rotors, calipers and pads too.

Almost :(

2 minor problems :rolleyes:

1. The diff fill plug is boogered and I haven't been able to get it out. Any suggestions appreciated. After going through this it's kind of frustrating not to be able to refill it :mad:

2. Lesson for today - brass drift will damage wheel studs. Picking up new ones and would like to press them in properly. Anyone have a press and availability tomorrow?

Mr. Crase, I think I recall such an addition to your garage, you have a PM :cheers: