• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Just when you thought you’ve seen everything.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Timely topic as I will soon have 30 or 40 lbs of cans needing to be emptied. I have employed a multi-step process approach. To keep this thread somewhat on topic - where does one take aluminum if you live here in the city?

While this is not the General Tech forum - I just can't help myself from including an overview of my multi-step process.

Step 1 - Put it in the initial stage crusher, unless it is a Coors Light can in which case step 1 is twist the can to make 1/5" shorter so it fits in the initial stage crusher. The Modelo Especial cans do not need pre-treatement.

step1.jpg

Step 2 is adding them to batch hopper, where they wait until batch hopper is full or my nephew stops by and is bored enough to move them on to step 4.
step2.jpg

Step 3 is to make them smaller using the press
step3.jpg

Here are the before and after profiles of step 3
before_after step3.jpg

Finally, this is where they have been accumulating since November of 2017. I do expect that if it is a warm summer, the holding container will be full and I will need to find someplace to take them.
need to figure out where to take.jpg

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
If you are individually crushing cans with a hand-pump press you are surely a masochist.

Jcbmx

Trail Ready
Got a product launch email this morning.

Introducing the Alu-Cab OLAF can crusher. Can’t wait to see the MSRP on this bad boy. And the certain to follow Overland Journal product test and comparison. Hope they include the $5 Harbor Freight unit.

This will really come in handy when your jeans are so tight you can't lift your leg and you don't want to damage your Thursday chukka boots

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
I hate to be the green guy here, but also don’t forget that current single source standards are to not crush cans, as they don’t sort well when crushed. :)
My company makes cans…pretty much all of them. I can assure you we crush the defects and scraps into nice 25lb bricks of aluminum. No issues recycling them but they are “pure” and not run through general recycling.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
My company makes cans…pretty much all of them. I can assure you we crush the defects and scraps into nice 25lb bricks of aluminum. No issues recycling them but they are “pure” and not run through general recycling.
I too work in the canmaking industry.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
I too work in the canmaking industry.
Ball corp selling scrap directly back to Alcoa or some other smelter for recycling has zero bearing on how a single source sort yard removes aluminum cans from the stream. Anyone here that wants to take cans directly to a recycled can crush them too.

By the way, I think Ardagh would take offense to your assertion.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator

Ball corp selling scrap directly back to Alcoa or some other smelter for recycling has zero bearing on how a single source sort yard removes aluminum cans from the stream. Anyone here that wants to take cans directly to a recycled can crush them too.

By the way, I think Ardagh would take offense to your assertion.
Ardagh is number 2!

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
You work at the ball plant?

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Ball is trying to get you to say goodbye to the Red Solo cup. Join the revolution ✊
F0081C70-1AAB-40C1-834C-2A95D61101D6.jpeg
4CE3E78F-9FB8-4904-BE0F-DA3BACA615AE.jpeg
28FD319B-B28B-47DD-AFB0-25734461AD9D.jpeg
84806758-F087-4C16-AB01-BE8264571C86.jpeg

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
As much as I like aluminum, I'm not a fan of those. Biggest complaints are: you can't put hot beverages in them, can't microwave them, and can't put them in the dishwasher. Yes, all these are true for solo cups, but solo cups are dirt cheap.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
As much as I like aluminum, I'm not a fan of those. Biggest complaints are: you can't put hot beverages in them, can't microwave them, and can't put them in the dishwasher. Yes, all these are true for solo cups, but solo cups are dirt cheap.
I guess the concept is they're used like Solo cups that are just recycled the morning after a kegger instead of thrown away. From what I've seen these Ball can-cups cost around $0.50 each compared to about $0.10 in normal store sized sleeves for Solos. So if you can get people to hang on to the same cup all night rather than going through a few it might work without being a huge financial strain and still filling the exact same role.

Agreed on the concept of metal containers with you. We have a few Kleen Kanteen bottles and pint cups around. They only really work if they're double wall. It's not just hot stuff but the single wall bottles are a SOB to use in the winter. Drinking water in the winter with them risks a Christmas Story situation, which isn't a problem with a Nalgene. OTOH it's easier to hastily thaw a frozen metal bottle that's become one with a hunk of snow you left it overnight.