• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

July 18, 2009 Wheelers For The Wounded Main Event

Charity Event for WFTW

On Sunday, June 28th, 2009 we are going to have a charity wrench-a-thon for WFTW in the Peterson Auto Skills Center at:

Peterson AFB in CO Springs,
894 Tinker St, Colorado Springs, CO 80914

Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...sspn=45.014453,66.796875&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=A

The event will be from 9:00am until 6:30pm.

We will have several Toyota Tech's attending. Additionally we will have many of the WFTW staff there to help you get your project done fast!

We'll be using one bay with a lift and one flat bay, plus we may have use of a 3rd bay that's separate from the others for welder / plasma cutter work. We will provide all the tools and the labor, you just need to bring your project to us! We will also have a BBQ grill set up so bring something to grill! (I'll bring Hot Dog and Hamburger Buns, as well as condiments!)

If you are interested in having something done, OR you want to help out, post up!

We are working on a donation scale. It will likely be a % of what the ASE cost to do the job would be.

****IMPORTANT********

Shane, our contact at the base told me this: "A week before the event I'll need a list of everyone who's attending. I'll give that list to the gate guards so people will be allowed on base." So even if you might not come, please give me your name... so that you can get on base, in case you decide at the last minute to come! Email me your name at molly.houck@gmail.com

:thumb:

trail pre-runs

We would like to pre-run the trails for WFTW over this weekend. We will be running Grizzly Lake, Iron Chest and Chinaman Gulch, but with the right number of folks, would like to run all of them, including BV Carnage for those who are capable of doing so (at least one rig will be there this weekend.)

Grizzly lake is easy except for a ledge coming out of the creek right at the begining. As long as people have armor they can be winched/pulled through without much fuss. Trip report from last year

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108469

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=8

Iron chest is a tough trail. But doable if people take their time through the boulder feild.

We would like people to have 32's, a locker and armor for this run. If you don't meet the requirements, but want to come let us know and we can talk about it.

Some of us will be camping that weekend down there.

Saturday Meet at truckstop in Buena Vista at 9 am to run Grizzly lake and Iron Chest.

Sunday Meet at Truckstop in BV at 9am to run OCG

We encourage others who are interested in running trails in the area, but not sure if they are equipped for the trails listed to get together and form another group to run some easier trails if possible; or just ride along.

charity wrench-a-thon for WFTW

for those that want to attend the charity wrench-a-thon for WFTW at the Peterson Auto Skills Center, please note:

...Date is June 28th, start time is:9:00 - 6:30. I will also need, Date of Birth and/or Drivers License number for them to get on base. Give it to me even if you don't think you will make it!! I need it by Wednesday June 24th!!! Please email to me molly(dot)houck(at)gmail(dot)com. Questions? Call seven two zero - 933 - 3 zero 71!

Thanks! -Molly! (CoTTORA)
:cheers:

RSVP to participate

For anyone interested in participating in the Wheelers For The Wounded event on July 18, please send an email reply to:

WFTW2009@Gmail.com

The meeting time is going to be 10:00 AM at the old Chinaman Gulch/Carnage Trail Heads. We also plan to have our BBQ there at 5:00 PM!

For GPS locations to the trailhead go here: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=1

DRIVING DIRECTIONS to the Staging Area:

Take Highway 285 to Johnson Village. There are gas stations there where you can fill up if you need to. In between the rafting building and the gas stations you'll see CR301 to your left(south). Take that road just past the red barn and you'll see a gate to your left marked "Prison Property" that runs in a straight line (east) for a short way to another gate and an open area (you can see this open area from the main road). This area is perfect for airing down, disconnecting and getting ready for the trail. Be sure to close both gates.
:thumb:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Man I sure would love to go to this great event, but have to much to get done before the Ghost Town Run. Sorry to bail on you guys. Hopefully I can make 2010!!

final event plan

Hello all!

We have finalized our plans for the event and the attached flier (which hopefully you have seen) has the info. BLM was gracious enough to forgive the permit requirement, but we did sign a Letter of Agreement with a few stipulations:

1. All sites are filled on a "first come, first served" basis. Plan ahead to assure that your group can secure a spot without interfering with other visitors. Parking is limited to 30 vehicles in the parking area only. Access for the public is required, roads cannot be blocked.

2. No Campfires for this event.

3. Proper disposal of human waste is critical. At your activity this will be accomplished by PROVIDING TEMPORARY TOILET FACILITIES.

4. Help us clean up public lands by REMOVING ALL TRASH. Picking up trash left by less thoughtful people helps maintain the scenic beauty of your public lands.

5. If any directional signs are erected as part of this activity, they will be removed at the completion of the activity.

6. There are certain natural phenomenon that could be encountered that present risks which the participants assume. All participants must be advised of conditions which might be encountered.

7. Nothing in this agreement shall be construed to imply permission to build any structure or conduct any activity not specifically named.

8. Disorderly or otherwise objectionable conduct such as harassment of wildlife, livestock, or other lawful users of public land will not be tolerated and could be the basis for denial of similar agreements in the future.

9. Precautions must be made to protect natural resource values, cultural or historic objects, aesthetic values, and any improvement on public lands.

10. If there is any question concerning regulations on public lands, please contact our office immediately.

11. This agreement is not an authorization to use public lands. Failure to abide by all activity parameters in this agreement may result in permits being required for future activities.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding wounded veteran riders: we have not had any direct response to our offer/request for riders for this event. That does not mean we will not have any, just that at this time, we do not know if, or how many potential riders may decide to join us. As a result, the staging in the morning will be on the fly. We will be set up at the staging are at 9:00am and encourage as many folks as can to be there around that time. We will have some light refreshments in the morning and will be organizing the trail runs/riders.

Staging Area: Right now I have 7-10 people helping at the staging area. If there are more folks who are willing to help get us organized in the morning and with the BBQ/cleanup in the evening, I would rather be over-staffed than under, so let me know!

Jason Havlik: As some of you may have heard, Jason, the founder of this event, ran into financial troubles while traversing the nation to promote this event. As of now, he will not be attending our event. If you have any questions or concerns, fell free to contact me directly.

These are the folks who have confirmed that they will be participating. I would appreciate a final confirmation email from each of you just to make sure we’re on the same page. I’ll get with those of you that have not selected a trail in the next week to let you know the plan.

Bill
Bob
Brad
Brian
Carlos
Chris
Crhis
Dave
Don
Doug
Eric & Katherine
Eric
Evolution 4x4
Harold
Isaac
Jim Augliera
Jim
Jock
Jody
John
Kevin and Susan
Kirk
Kyle
Larry
Layton
Michael
Mike
Mike S
Molly
Nancy B
Nate W
Nicholas B
Pete B
Randy
Scott M
Scott R
Shawn B
Tim and Alissa O
Todd S
Troy Gorrel
Tyson and Leanne S

If you are not on this list, please let me know ASAP!! From the get-go we had 77 people express interest and would still like to accommodate everyone who would like to attend. If you cannot attend, please let me know that as well. I’m sure you’ve noticed that we will have more than 30 vehicles attending, but we have a logistical plan to mitigate this, so please work with us when you arrive.

Several of us will be arriving on Friday and Friday night so we can get an early start Saturday morning. If possible, I will likely be camping at the staging area with a couple of our coordinators.

Thanks again to all of you for supporting this great cause. We’re all looking forward to a great day!

Eric Ross

PS Here is a link to a map showing exactly where the staging are is:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...098747&spn=0.101651,0.222988&t=p&z=13&iwloc=A

bh4rnnr

Sure would like to make this event, but I will be pulling the t-case due to a leaking input seal. Thanks for organizing what sounds to be a fantastic event!

:beer::beer:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I have some serious work to finish on the Chili... but I am trying to get it DONE! I very much hope to be there!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
When is the latest we can let you know?

I was trying to get up the the BV run. Not sure how many people you have for each run but it looks like a good group. My participation all depends on work but I would be up there Friday in the PM if I can go.

WFTW update - final week

Hey folks,

As we enter final week of preparations I hope this message finds you well. I am aware of some concerns from our volunteers and I would like to address them in two veins:

First, I have had a few of folks express concern that we cannot guarantee that wounded veteran riders will participate. We are doing everything we can to encourage folks to join us for this event. This has been a challenge on a number of levels, from our being a strictly volunteer and fledgling organization, to strict HIPAA and military restrictions on patient contact. It has been a very one-way communication flow. This week we will be using mass media to raise some awareness about this event. I was leery about doing this sooner, because until last week we did not have our site plan rubber-stamped by BLM and USFS. I did not want to make promises I could not keep, but now we're good to go and know what we can and cannot do. Regardless, a number of the drivers and family members that have volunteered are wounded veterans themselves and I hope we can show them the same support.

Second, we want to show that this event is a success this year and that we are capable of doing this in following years. Something I really want to encourage folks to do is show up and participate, so we can inspire confidence in folks to participate in the future who may have misgivings about the veracity of the program. Regardless of the status of the national portion of this program, we are dedicated to continuing a tradition in Colorado. I know this is a significant investment on everyone, but I think in the long run we will see a much larger pay-off.

Over the last year we have had 95 people express interest with 66 vehicles.
Of those, 75 people with 43 vehicles have signed up to participate.
As of this date 34 people and 22 vehicles have confirmed.

Don't let the momentum fall!!

In the last few weeks we received enough charitable funds and food donations to provide food and beverages for everyone who has expressed interest, and a few vendors have graciously provided gift donations to support the event.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you this week and seeing you this weekend!

Eric Ross
fjcruzer123@yahoo.com

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Sure, we'd love to have you there. Just send an email to Eric Ross fjcruzer123@yahoo.com and let him know you would like to help out with this event.

just send him an email, I am still on the fence but I am falling towards going:camping::campfire::beer2::comp:

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
Tom,

Were thinking about going. I dont know if were going to stay over night but would want to run the trail for sure. Let me know what you decide, maybe we can travel down together.

s/b a nice weekend

The weather is looking like it's going to be real nice this weekend, near BV. Should be in the low 80s, no real rain in the forecast. ;)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Whew... The Chili is now fully operational, all systems check nominal, spit shined and polished, (running a borrowed diff until I figure out how I broke my locker swapping the end cap... which is turning out to be maybe not the best idea I've had in a while... Yes, Neil, that means I have your diff fixed, air bearing replaced at my expense out of gratitude, locker fully functional and I will be, um, 'testing' it this weekend, THANK you brutha)...

SO BY GOD'S GRACE I'M GONNA BE THERE! :lmao:

On the fence about camping. A friend is going up Friday and I might share a camp with his family... dunno.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
I think were going to head out about 7 AM on Saturday morning pulling the trailer. We'll probably head back in the evening after the BBQ.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Likewise!

bh4rnnr

Sure wish I could make this one but i'll be working, and not on the runner. You boys be sure to report back!

:beer::beer:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Tom,

Were thinking about going. I don't know if were going to stay over night but would want to run the trail for sure. Let me know what you decide, maybe we can travel down together.

I wanted to be there so bad but I smashed my right index finger while splitting firewood. Sharon rushed me to the ER where they tried to save the top section of my finger, we'll see if it works. The pain was/is pretty bad and I wasn't going to drive up there while taking a bunch of pain meds:eek:

I hope they had enough rigs to take all the vets up the hill I will feel really bad if they didn't.

Post the pictures and experience ASAP I am dying to hear how it turned out.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
There were probably 35 - 40 rigs total and they were split out into groups of 10 or so. I went with the Chinaman's Gulch group. We had a blast and a great BBQ afterwards.

The only vets there were ones who brought their own rigs, so we had 1 a Korean vet (75 and still wheelin!) and quite a few Vietnam, Desert Storm and lots of Iraqi Freedom vets.

The organizers said they problem for getting the recently wounded vets up was lack of special transportation from Ft. Carson. They plan to do the event next year and arrange for buses and such to get the recently wounded up there for rides.

There were tons of *eeps, the Blue Mule, Red Chili, 2 FJC's, a Tundra, a Tacoma and 2 Toyota truggies so the brand was well represented.

Dee had her new camera with her so I'll see if we can post up some of the shots, it does video too. Rumor has it there were some shots of the Mule doing another wheel stand on the waterfall............