Jenny Creek Work Day!!!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Bill et al, It still looks good that I'll make it Sunday. I will bring my ATV, bar (steel kind), chain saw(s), shovels, pics and whatever else catches my eye when I'm loading up. Think of somthin' post it...I probably have it... :eek:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
woohooo....sunday!!! i can make sunday. i'll bring my shovels, gloves, i can bring a chainsaw too if necessary, but don't know that we'll need more than one.

nuclearlemon said:
woohooo....sunday!!! i can make sunday. i'll bring my shovels, gloves, i can bring a chainsaw too if necessary, but don't know that we'll need more than one.

Oh, yeah! A saw will be a big plus!

The storm dropped several trees, some of them on the road, and one of them, on Jenny Creek Trail, that is very bad-mannered!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Just talked to Kevin. It's on. Removing fallen trees is well within the purview of trail maintenance; also, it keeps people from making new routes and keeps them on the trail.

Let's rock-n-roll, ladies and gentlemen.

Bring a hardhat if you got one, and eye protection. Also a chainsaw and premix if you gots that. I have a nifty arborist hardhat/face screen/ear protection rig. I also have a pole saw (the gas powered kind, not the arm-ripping hard kind).

Sunday, 9AM, Rollinsville, be there or be square. Jeff, pry yerseff outa that bed.

Bring sunscreen too, it's likely to be warm and high-UV Sunday with all that reflective surface.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
great! I can make this one! WOOHOO!

hardhat = CHECK!
Can't wait!

Hey should we move this to "Trip Planning?"
There is a chance that not everyone checks the land use forum.

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Cant make this one, sorry. To many things to do around the house.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
Just talked to Kevin. It's on. Removing fallen trees is well within the purview of trail maintenance; also, it keeps people from making new routes and keeps them on the trail.

Let's rock-n-roll, ladies and gentlemen.

Bring a hardhat if you got one, and eye protection. Also a chainsaw and premix if you gots that. I have a nifty arborist hardhat/face screen/ear protection rig. I also have a pole saw (the gas powered kind, not the arm-ripping hard kind).

Sunday, 9AM, Rollinsville, be there or be square. Jeff, pry yerseff outa that bed.

Bring sunscreen too, it's likely to be warm and high-UV Sunday with all that reflective surface.

Bill,
Does Kevin still need a ride?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Great day today! We were able to start at Yankee Doodle Lake and close routes and carsonite the entire trail! Long day but a good one! Ranger Kevin is a great person to work with! It will be interesting to see what worked and what didn't come next spring. :rolleyes: Thanks Bill for getting this set up! :)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well, I'm real proud to be associated with y'all. We had a great turnout and got a BUNCH done. It feels good to be back at work and catch up on my rest time...;)

Pix to come, but all in all we took care of some sore spots on the road. We also kept Ige from rolling. Twice. Barely.

The section of trail that goes in the creek turns out to be on private property, so the reroute will not be that simple. The BRD is pursuing it with the landowner (as soon as they figure out who that is), but we did identify some alternatives that could keep the trail out of the water AND on public land. More to come.

We signed the creek crossing, reducing the confusion there. We also closed off some unauthorized routes near the mud bog by Yankee Doodle, and again at the SE end of the trail where folks made their own route down the side of the hill. In fact, we were more aggressive at closing stuff than Ranger Kevin was quite comfortable with! :D I learned one thing, if you want to stop and think about something for a while, you'd better make sure Uncle Ben ain't hard at work up the hill or it will be done before you decide what you want to do. Our Kevin is a longtime alum from the University of Gitterdone.
We also cleared several fallen trees that had forced an unfortunate go-around, which was creating a mud bog. Ranger Kevin felt the best about that task, because of the mitigation of impact for one, and because we made the fur fly for another. He said he was not used to having so much equipment available. We did, in an hour, what would have taken Ranger Kevin and eight AmeriCorps kids all day. We also learned about the relative effectiveness of sharp vs. dull chain on a saw, what Poulan really means (keep poulan and poulan because it won't keep running), and the effectiveness of Swedish engineering (using the Mighty Orange Chili, my Husky chainsaw. Made short work of it.)

We would have done more sawing but Uncle Ben took his mighty ATV down the trail and beat us to it. Did I mention our Kevin's work ethic?

We made a difference!!!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
This is great stuff, thanks everyone who made it out! Can't wait to see the pics, and hopefully participate in the next work effort.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Glad things went well. Sounds like a lot of work got done :cool: . Lets see some pics already!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
nope...not until pics for the article are picked out. :D

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Uncle Ben came to work....thats all. The main crew had plenty of skilled and eager labor so UB just went to the other end and got busy....remember....this is what I do for a living in property management. BTW....it was a sharp, and full chisel chained Husky with me too! There was also a sharp, full chisel chained, 20" Husky waiting as backup in Ricecake just in case! I had fun....anytime you can hop on a toy (or in a TOY) and have fun while "gettingerdone" it's a good day! ;) I only worked at one end....The Chili crew did the rest of the trail! :eek: I was VERY proud of what got accomplished by all!

Again a HUGE thank you to Bobzookie for prerunnung the trail and letting the rest of the workparty know what they could look forward too! It truly helped a bunch! I did follow Bobs lead by offering "red" plastic to the "Ghost of Jenny"....my Grizzly now needs a new tail light lens! Also, thanks to Leinesred for picking up the pieces as I forgot to go back probably because I was happy just to complete the manuver that broke it!

Last edited:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Fun work on Jenny Creek.

"Me 'n' Jenny's like peas and carrots again." -GUMP

I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I know what good work is. -Sorta GUMP

Anyway, I had a lot of fun working on Jenny Creek. Yep, there is plenty o' work for everyone on that little trail. But it is good, honest work. Ranger Kevin's positive attitude even when we were doing things beyond the scope of the project and the vonlunteer program was great.

Seriously, how do we get "certified" to run a power saw? I certified Red Chilli and he certified me I think. Iggy, I'm gonna get you a set of files for your saw and show you how to use 'em! No more cutting dirt, rocks and fireplugs with your chainsaw, Iggy! I know the sparks are cool, but it kinda takes the fun out of sawing wood. :) *peace!*

Pounding in carsonite is a great core body and upper body workout. Lin said I looked like superman after just 1 day of practice! Also, You are CERTIFIED an expert carsonite installer after just 1 post!

I'll bring it up at the next meeting, but I think the club should buy our own post pounder and pilot drill unit. Uncle Ben could have used it when we split up to double our effectiveness on our first day out.

There wasn't MUCH trash on the trail, perhaps the snow hid most of it. I think we have a good shot at keeping trash on the trail down. We are going to have to work hard with the Government agencies and possibly private party land owners to get the trail out of the creek to reduce impacts to the stream. The spot where iggy slid in is a perfect example of an area that will need work pronto. How do we get other, "green" organizations involved in our club's efforts to mitigate the effects of motor travel on the road we have adopted? I would love to be able to SHOW them how much we care about this trail. Sure, we used power tools to get the trail back on the original route, but that boggy corner around the fallen trees was going to be a deep mud hole come spring. Now, It'll be a frog pond or something.

OH YEAH! I saw NO bad eggs on the trail on Sunday! The ATV, motorcycle, jeeps, pickups and everything were all very friendly. "Are you guys part of COVHCO?" Is what one guy asked me. The word about working to save our trails IS getting out to other groups!
I told him that the rising sun 4x4 club had recently adopted the trail and were going to do everything we can to help keep the trail open.

Ranger Kevin: Thanks for spending a Sunday with us. Thanks for all the patient map and GPS work. You guys have some great electronic resources. Now, you can use the Rising Sun 4x4 club as another resource to help accomplish the tasks required to maintain a healthy forest that can be enjoyed by a wide range of visiting individuals as well as the indiginous wildlife population. I hope you felt excited by the energy and commitment our group is willing to provide. Feel free to share your experience with your peers and direct managers. Sorry if we are a little TOO ambitious in our efforts.

Ideas:
Informational sign/Kiosk
I want it it say something like:

The rising sun 4x4 club appreciates your help as we try to keep this trail open for everyone.

STAY ON THE TRAIL, pickup trash, confront people abusing this trail.

If you feel you need to go off trail because this trail is too boring or easy,
GO DRIVE/RIDE A HARDER TRAIL!

Physical barriers:
Block access to the mudbog and the new user created routes. Sounds like fencing needs.

SIGNAGE:
Yeah, it is ugly, and takes the fun out of getting lost, but it seems to help the confused, lost, and casual trail abusers.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
...We are going to have to work hard with the Government agencies and possibly private party land owners to get the trail out of the creek to reduce impacts to the stream. The spot where iggy slid in is a perfect example of an area that will need work pronto. How do we get other, "green" organizations involved in our club's efforts to mitigate the effects of motor travel on the road we have adopted? I would love to be able to SHOW them how much we care about this trail. Sure, we used power tools to get the trail back on the original route, but that boggy corner around the fallen trees was going to be a deep mud hole come spring. Now, It'll be a frog pond or something.

One way... attend the monthly Boulder Ranger District OHV meeting. I'm gettin' lonesome up there. It's a great opportunity to participate in a team environment with folks who the OHV community tends to distrust, and who tend to distrust the OHV community. When communication happens, and shared values happen, distrust kinda tends to go away.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
leiniesred said:
"

Ideas:
Informational sign/Kiosk
I want it it say something like:

The rising sun 4x4 club appreciates your help as we try to keep this trail open for everyone.

STAY ON THE TRAIL, pickup trash, confront people abusing this trail and let them know what dumbasses they are

If you feel you need to go off trail because this trail is too boring or easy,
GO DRIVE/RIDE A HARDER TRAIL!

hehehehehe....fixed it for ya.

I'm proud of you guys!

Because this trail is almost in my back yard, I can visit it just about any week-night. And I WILL carry a camera in the future, and the next time I find some drunk/stoned idiots in the mud-bog, I'll be taking LOTS of pictures, and giving testamony if that's required.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Quote:
...We are going to have to work hard with the Government agencies and possibly private party land owners to get the trail out of the creek to reduce impacts to the stream. The spot where iggy slid in is a perfect example of an area that will need work pronto. How do we get other, "green" organizations involved in our club's efforts to mitigate the effects of motor travel on the road we have adopted? I would love to be able to SHOW them how much we care about this trail. Sure, we used power tools to get the trail back on the original route, but that boggy corner around the fallen trees was going to be a deep mud hole come spring. Now, It'll be a frog pond or something.

One way... attend the monthly Boulder Ranger District OHV meeting. I'm gettin' lonesome up there. It's a great opportunity to participate in a team environment with folks who the OHV community tends to distrust, and who tend to distrust the OHV community. When communication happens, and shared values happen, distrust kinda tends to go away.
I'll second that. Go attend a ranger meeting, and you can personally interact with at least one very active Sierra Club member. Definitely worth the effort!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
I'll second that. Go attend a ranger meeting, and you can personally interact with at least one very active Sierra Club member. Definitely worth the effort!
too bad they hold it at the wrong time of day...i don't get off work until 7 :(