Jenny Creek Work Day!!!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
WooHoo, finally heard back from Kevin McDermott with the Boulder Ranger District. Cool guy, reminds me of Brant in Clear Creek.

I locked in the date of a week from tomorrow, being October 8, Saturday. Kevin will need a ride (he is pretty unfamiliar with the trail itself, but Cat said we knew all the issues and knew what needed to be done - nice to build a good reputation). He will also need to stow a carsonite driver and tool box.

Now the bad news: I will not be able to make it. I need to help a friend who has never ever gone antelope hunting before, and has no idea how to field dress big game. That would not be a pleasant thing, having no idea. So I don't feel I can leave him on his own with his kids.:eek:

Soooo.... I need someone to step up to the plate and head up this work day. I did want to get it scheduled immediately, because we are close to snow flying and I DEFINITELY want to get work done on Jenny Creek this year.

Who will take the baton?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Oh, contact info for Kevin, who is in the office Tuesdays and Fridays:

303-541-2540 to confirm with him.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Woo hoo! I have it on the calendar and have every intention of going. Being gone this whole weekend could stack unforseen stuff up on next weekend however. Saturdays totally suck for me too right now with 1 kid playing competitive soccer and the youngest in rec soccer. This is very important so I will make every attempt to keep it at the top of the list! :)

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Ya just had to make it next weekend didnt you :rolleyes: . That's when i'll be in Utah. Dang, next time.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hmmm. You, and Ige, and ... Mayhaps I pulled the trigger on the day a bit early.

Well, I placed my bet, I'll let it ride on next Saturday unless NO one can pick up the baton.

So, if no one can do 10/8 but there is a lot of interest in 10/15, and you let me know via this thread over this weekend, I can call Kevin Tuesday and reschedule. But if about three someones can do 10/8, let's gitter done, because the snow flies SOON! Already FLYIN' in fact!

Last edited:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
I'm going to talk my Mom into going along

My Mom is in town. I'm going to try to talk her into going up Jenny Creek in my little 4runner.

Also, I think a coworker might be able to bring his FJ80.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
10/15 works for me

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Let's decide tomorrow at the meeting, if someone from the club can 'take point' on this Saturday, we'll leave it as it is. If not, we'll delay it a week.

Of course, we *could* do both! :cool: There's lotsa opportunities on that trail that we could knock out before snow flies too bad.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
If no one is able to take point on this project and post on this thread by noon today, let's just bump it a week and I'll take point 10/15. Ige, we gotta get you familiar with JC, you'll love it. All them Outlaw Run types will be available too.

Kevin is not really familiar with the trail (hmmm, fairly typical in the Boulder Ranger District? We need to be educators. Waaaaay different than Clear Creek Ranger District, where Brant rides his ATV on all the roads and trails every stinking weekend it seems, I keep running into him. He KNOWS his routes, and works the sponsoring clubs well. CCRD hasn't been in as good of shape in a long time... if EVER. PROUD of that boy. Let's make Kevin into Brant Jr.).

Unfortunately, I could not possibly do the pick-up in Boulder, and manage the meeting with my guests, etc. The next weekend is much more managable (I think). Sorry.

Bob

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hey, no worries Bob. It was too much of a push all around.

EDITED: I think next week will work out better, Sunday 1/16 at 9:00 AM at the Rollinsville site, picking up Kevin. I left a message with his voice mail just now. I think that will put us at the trail head around 9:30 AM or so.
Here is a map of Jenny Creek that may help all players find the trailhead if they don't want to meet at Rollinsville-
http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=69&PHPSESSID=3fb9fa6650ddb58a7c7bbe01a1dabe73

The yellow marked portion of the route is Rollins Pass Road, which is 2WD. Jenny Creek trailhead starts in red, and isn't hard to miss if you aren't keeping an eye out for the carsonite.

I look forward to seein' y'all up there!

[edit] in the 4x4trails page, it refers to snow necessitating taking a bypass, and suggests to treadlightly if you take it.

Oh ... my... *$%^$*&#&#

There are NO legal bypasses, and that is part of what we are going to close with carsonites. If you take a bypass, you are NOT treading lightly. Bypassing snow is a problem on the road, and one that may necessitate seasonal closure just to still have the road open. FYI and sermon mode off.

I sent the dude a tactful email. [/edit]

[2nd edit] Not only was Scott really nice, he made the edits to the 4x4trails.net site within an hour of getting my email. Way to go, Scott! Good comments added on his page too. [/2nd edit]

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I made edits to the time and place of meeting. Kevin had a conflict Saturday, so though Sundays are tough for me, I scheduled it the following Sunday weather permitting. Meet at Rollinsville, that should be easier for everyone to boot.

See ya there! Be one of the folks who does something about it!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well, as usual, Nature may have her way with us! But I say it's still on unless I hear otherwise; though we may find Jenny Creek instantly impassable now, we can certainly gander both ends and at least carsonite the very illegal routes at the beginning that folks have created off the main road downgrade to the 4x4 road. Plus, we can review the condition of the mud bogs and maybe do some carsoniting there too. If it's *real* deep, even Rollins Pass Road will be a hoot!

SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun, ....

OK, so as you know by now, I live pretty close to Rollinsville.
We got a lot of snow last night - I'm guessing almost 10 inches on my deck of wet heavy stuff. SO - It's looking like this may be very interesting.

I can buzz up there on Thursday, after work, and see how it's looking, and post up here on Friday. I guess I'll run it "bottom up" (the opposite direction from Chuck Wells's book).

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
Well, as usual, Nature may have her way with us! But I say it's still on unless I hear otherwise; though we may find Jenny Creek instantly impassable now, we can certainly gander both ends and at least carsonite the very illegal routes at the beginning that folks have created off the main road downgrade to the 4x4 road. Plus, we can review the condition of the mud bogs and maybe do some carsoniting there too. If it's *real* deep, even Rollins Pass Road will be a hoot!

SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun,
SnowRun, SnowRun, ....

I'm in on this one! Do I need to bring any tools/equipment?

OH NO!!!

I just realized that next Sunday, I am getting my hair cut off - donating it to Locks of Love www.locksoflove.org

So much for Jenny Creek... This is a coordinated event, with my hair cutter stopping between Wyoming, and Colorado Springs, at the home of a friend in Parker...

:(

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Tell ya what, Bob- give us a recon run and we'll chalk you up as having been there!

Seriously, that would be a bigtime contribution. Let us know if it's even passable. If not... looks like my wife can fill up my weekend schedule. I bet it will be though, at least at the ends.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Uncle Ben said:
I'm in on this one! Do I need to bring any tools/equipment?
Certainly a shovel and winch! Beyond that, I think a hardhat if you have one (the USFS supplies them though), gloves, good boots, you know, the regular stuff. Mebbe a pick in case the ground is frozen.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hey Bob, got a status or conditions report for Rollins Pass? I'd like to confirm or cancel tomorrow (Friday) with the Boulder RD for Sunday's work day. If there's three feet of snow there's no sense in wearing everyone out.

Let us know when you can!