Jenny Creek Work Day!!!

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
leiniesred said:
I'll bring it up at the next meeting, but I think the club should buy our own post pounder and pilot drill unit. Uncle Ben could have used it when we split up to double our effectiveness on our first day out.

Great idea, went a head and started pricing them out. Over $300 for the set :eek: I think we have enough skills and resources with in the club to make a set, that is if the USFS "certifies" them and all (OSHA applies to volunteer labor too ;) )

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Post pounder checking

Thanks for finding the price on the units, Seldom.

I was thinking about the pilot pounder...Where we are usually putting in posts, we can drive. We have 4,000+ pounds of truck right there. There has to be a simple way for us to use our heavy trucks to dig those pilot holes!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I for one would be more than happy to donate $10 or $20 toward these tools. I'd bet about 20 people or so would do the same!

Then we could just pick up carsonites at the RD, or just buy a box of carsonites and get the stickers and numbers from the RDs. I think we would have to have a CCRD cache, and a BRD cache, just to be accountable to the RDs with where each is used - or maybe that just doesn't matter to them.
Thoughts?

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Is it Ok to be installing carsonites without the FS rep there to approve it? At the end of Sunday's run, the carsonites we put in would have been a bit different if Kevin hadn't been there.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
I for one would be more than happy to donate $10 or $20 toward these tools. I'd bet about 20 people or so would do the same!

Then we could just pick up carsonites at the RD, or just buy a box of carsonites and get the stickers and numbers from the RDs. I think we would have to have a CCRD cache, and a BRD cache, just to be accountable to the RDs with where each is used - or maybe that just doesn't matter to them.
Thoughts?

I'll do $20.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
60wag said:
Is it Ok to be installing carsonites without the FS rep there to approve it? At the end of Sunday's run, the carsonites we put in would have been a bit different if Kevin hadn't been there.
i think it depends on the ranger. we did argentine pass by ourselves. brandt told us where his truck would be, we got the tools, hit the road, when we were done, we put everything back in his truck.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
post tools

I'm sure it would be cool for us to replace/repair missing or damaged posts without approval. New posts, yeah, I'd feel better with a Forest Service rep present.

Seldom: I didn't turn on my track log so I have very little GPS data to share with you. In fact, just 3 data points.

Next time, I'll be sure to mark EACH PLACE we:

1: Install a carsonite post
2: do more than a few minutes of work on the trail.

This might help the FS know what we did, where we did it and when we did it.

-LeiniesRed

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I think Kevin may be concerned we are too aggressive with closures (oh, the irony...) and would want to monitor us. But recording the GPS locations of any and all work should allay his concern.

Especially ironic is the fact that Kevin is jumpy because of COHVCO possibly filing suit, for pities' sake. I told him if they ever gave him grief for closing an illegitimate trail or way, just let me at 'em!