• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Jenny Creek Road Work Day- June 23!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
This may or may not be an optimistic date, as we got a lot of snow this year, but it is melting fast!

Plan on a fun day of doing Jenny Creek Road and Trail, and setting carsonites (trail number signs) on the east end of the road where we did not get to last year.

On the docket is figuring out what the Guinn Mountain spur is rated for on the district travel plan, and doing appropriate signage. Also, we will be scoping out additional post and cable work for later, to prevent unauthorized access points to Jenny Creek that will just cause erosion. Finally, there is a mud bog area that needs signage right before the private property line on the east end of the trail, and IMHO we need to indicate that the east fork has no outlet so folks know what they are getting into.

Let's do what we can to preserve this great route in the Boulder Ranger District!

Bring the usual: water, gloves, lunch, clothing for changeable weather, a hardhat if you got one, maybe stow a chainsaw if convenient (though I know of no deadfall, it could be there now!), and a great attitude. And a friend who would like to get their hands dirty doing volunteer work!

Meet at Rollinsville, 9AM, rain or shine! EDIT: Event has been moved to JUNE 23!!

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Cool, thanks Bill:cool: :beer:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
As of now I am available, that may change depending on what the wife does. I can bring all those things and if needed a small generator, LMK if it is usefull and or needed.

I'll be there man!

Anyone interested in making it a campout? I may go up on Friday after work and spend the night.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
sounds good. i'm off fridays now

bill, if you don't mind, i'm going to post it to the state assoc calendar.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Perfect!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
FYI, Cat Luna has a conflict on 6/30 - we may need to move it up a week to 6/23, more to follow as I know it.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
CONFIRMED- it is definitely moved to 6/23, 9AM, meet at Rollinsville!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
added to the calendar

This may or may not be an optimistic date, as we got a lot of snow this year, but it is melting fast!

Plan on a fun day of doing Jenny Creek Road and Trail, and setting carsonites (trail number signs) on the east end of the road where we did not get to last year.

On the docket is figuring out what the Guinn Mountain spur is rated for on the district travel plan, and doing appropriate signage. Also, we will be scoping out additional post and cable work for later, to prevent unauthorized access points to Jenny Creek that will just cause erosion. Finally, there is a mud bog area that needs signage right before the private property line on the east end of the trail, and IMHO we need to indicate that the east fork has no outlet so folks know what they are getting into.

Let's do what we can to preserve this great route in the Boulder Ranger District!

Bring the usual: water, gloves, lunch, clothing for changeable weather, a hardhat if you got one, maybe stow a chainsaw if convenient (though I know of no deadfall, it could be there now!), and a great attitude. And a friend who would like to get their hands dirty doing volunteer work!

Meet at Rollinsville, 9AM, rain or shine! EDIT: Event has been moved to JUNE 23!!

red chili:

iam going to try and make it,depending on some physical issues are taken
care of by then. is this a 1 day work day? look forward to it,thxs.!!!;)

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I am in for sure. Looking forward to it.

T

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Update

The drifts on JK have been broke up to the lower beaver ponds. The drifts up at our work site are still MONSTERS! The cabling has worked and the previous bog has no new tracks in it. However, the weight of the deep snow has pulled out at least three corner posts. I suggest wet concreting the broken corners. Some cabling condition is still unknown as it is buried under 10+ feet of drift! It also appears that most of the upper signage has been crushed by snow or wind. ATV's have accessed the area around Yankee Doodle Lake, unfortunately the drifts on the roads have no tracks on them! :( I'm not sure how far access is in on the Rollins Pass road as I wasn't on it after JK turn off. Our closures on the illegal route's have not been violated but there are some new ones.

I do not think I can go after all this saturday but I will make suggestions on what needs to be taken and done.

At least 6 bags of ready mix

shovels

post hole diggers

large tamping bars

tools - to loosen cable clamps so corner posts can be removed

water to mix concrete

wheel barrows - concrete mixing

sleds - to haul materials to downed posts

several carsonites and driver set

cameras, clubs and gunny sacks for education purposes of Asshats accessing YDL through the forest and not the roads!

JK trail might be broken further up now as well as RP ....that I have no idea.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
This Saturday I think we will be doing a lighter survey (as opposed to a heavy workday) to outline another heavy duty work day later, such as Kevin is suggesting. On Saturday, closing the illegal access points will be a high priority though! At least dragging slash and putting in carsonites, and outlining additional post and cable to put in this summer.

We can have another post party for sure. It will be a far smaller project than the original one, and we can disperse crews (some new installs, some repair), so Kevin, you may get another chance to foreman!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Awesome! I suggest the FS makes a couple carsonites with trail arrows to mark the correct trail through the creek as the private property route is getting so used it appears the creek section is NOT the correct route!

This Saturday I think we will be doing a lighter survey (as opposed to a heavy workday) to outline another heavy duty work day later, such as Kevin is suggesting. On Saturday, closing the illegal access points will be a high priority though! At least dragging slash and putting in carsonites, and outlining additional post and cable to put in this summer.

We can have another post party for sure. It will be a far smaller project than the original one, and we can disperse crews (some new installs, some repair), so Kevin, you may get another chance to foreman!

Looks like I might be able to make this...non-RS4x4 people welcome?

I'm not long on the sort of tools you mentioned, tho...just a lot of leather gloves.

-Sean

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
The drifts on JK have been broke up to the lower beaver ponds. The drifts up at our work site are still MONSTERS! The cabling has worked and the previous bog has no new tracks in it. However, the weight of the deep snow has pulled out at least three corner posts. I suggest wet concreting the broken corners. Some cabling condition is still unknown as it is buried under 10+ feet of drift! It also appears that most of the upper signage has been crushed by snow or wind. ATV's have accessed the area around Yankee Doodle Lake, unfortunately the drifts on the roads have no tracks on them! :( I'm not sure how far access is in on the Rollins Pass road as I wasn't on it after JK turn off. Our closures on the illegal route's have not been violated but there are some new ones.

Looks like some jeeps made it up to the lake this weekend, here's their trip report:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=98619

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Those guys did some serious winching to get to the lake. Then they hit snow on the road out. Looks like they were still wheeling as the sun was setting.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Looks like I might be able to make this...non-RS4x4 people welcome?

I'm not long on the sort of tools you mentioned, tho...just a lot of leather gloves.

-Sean
Absotively posilutely! We believe in mechanical diversity! Or in the case of Jeeps, drastic affirmative action!
Just kidding... by all means, join us.