I'm building a Rock Lizard

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Thought I would put some photos up of my new build...in the midst of changing everything around a 4th time on my Toyota pickup, a friend came across this chassis and it was too good to pass up. I started putting pen to paper to figure out what exactly I needed to complete on my old one and I figured this would be almost as much work, but I am starting with a clean template. I don't have to re-engineer what Toyota intended for what I want out of it. Ultimately I am after a small, nimble, light weight crawler built with the right parts.

this is roughly what it will look like competed...he is saying his is 2900 lbs with Suzuki/toyota drivetrain. I'm hoping for 3500 lbs with my drivetrain. I'm keeping my one ton axles, and my 22re. I am swapping in an AW4 with an A340 bell housing so I can run a 5.0 Atlas behind it.

I opted to get mine un-welded so I could weld it, and I wanted to make a few changes, mostly to the b-pillar supports.
56774568010__E724F97D-EE82-44CD-8B03-E2C41EF6811D.JPG
fullsizeoutput_6a6.jpeg

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I haven't spent any full days on it, I think I have been at it a couple hours a night, a couple days a week for the last few weeks. Overall the chassis came together really well. it's well thought out, the bends and notches were all spot on. So far it is nice and square to start with. We built a small chassis table to set it at full bump. 17" belly at full bump and should be 21-22" at ride height. I am re-using my 16" 2.5 sway a way air shocks in the rear, but I am adding 14" 2.5 King coilovers in the front.
56791865725__36DC7491-6A03-4300-A623-07445AF8D86A.JPG
4y02PM5eTv2GLYiB8VC5mw.jpg
gJiOiyFJTNah2f0h6H68Vg.jpg

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
as many times as I have done this, this is my first full chassis build. I am not finding it very difficult though. The hardest part is the chassis itself, making sure everything is square before you weld it and the kit was spot on, and tacking the base to a table made everything go together perfect.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Awesome. Look forward to seeing your progress.

:beer::beer:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Thats awesome that everything is lining up so well! I bet it's nice to just do some simple fixturing and it lays in place. It's looking awesome, nice work!!

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
it was really well thought out that's for sure!

I've been welding up everything and now I am working on mounting the drivetrain. I am ordering a wilwood master cylinder pedal setup for packaging. I was planning on a fuel cell as well, but I think my stock tank just might fit back there. If it will I will use it. I'm trying to keep the "budget" down even though I am putting in Reid Knuckles, Atlas, DE ram and a few other things.

I think I will extend the rear trunk area once I get further along probably 12-14" so I can put tools in there and have room on top for a cooler and some camping gear.
S4jicFpBRYKYeJB98ldeMQ.jpg
wUz34X7STAiwJwmkzX1zOQ.jpg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
That’s awesome

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Awesome Jeremy!!

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Got it back up on the table tonight and started putting axles where they will go. Looks like my old rear links will work perfectly, I’m going to have to order new fronts though. Working through seat mounts and generally where things are going to fit. It’s like stuffing 10 pounds in a 2 pound box. Compared to other builds of this chassis I’ve seen the atlas is remarkably bigger in size than the Toyota cases too. It’s making the passenger side seat mount challenging!
6C047579-EE4B-4D83-AD36-F6CC7A8A474C.jpeg
9285FAB7-F3A4-4D26-9EC7-0B980EC9EED9.jpeg

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
It was cool talking with you about this out on the Jade Runner recovery and even cooler seeing happening!

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
added a more here and there...got the rear measured and lower links tacked in. I ordered up some more tabs and stuff so I can finish the suspension this week.
hAlFCtynT6OnO3VC5N5Wjw.jpg
2NorQLlWR%GGyWFS5xuxkg.jpg
XSTymSs1QfWG08svIMTjjw.jpg
Today I got the transmission mount done. I used a bushing and some scrap I had. I am trying to get this done as cheaply as possible so I am using as much scrap I have laying around as possible.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
the rear axle is just behind the rear bumper as it sits, should end up around 111-112 WB when I am done. I'm going to add about a foot to the bumper at some point and build a trunk for a cooler.
tFD7guHdReuE1NE6XFOnPQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Just make sure the fuel return line is long enough so you can fill me back up! Very cool Jeremy!

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Jeremy, I'm amazed how quickly you work. To accomplish what you have I'd have to add the time it takes to pace 100 miles around the garage, wondering if I'm doing the right thing...

Mark

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
spent a few hours on it today...more parts to order but its almost a roller now. rear links are done, fronts are almost done now too. The axle is measured in place and links tacked. I have to cut down my uppers since I am re-using my old rear uppers and I have to weld in new bungs and they are done. Waiting on new aluminum lowers to come in for the front and I need to buy about 8' for the rear uppers. Should be all done with links hopefully later this week.
xYG8gJ53QoS4lGNohrZicA.jpg
hAFi0khkRBueUDCLqtn+rA.jpg