• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Hunting Dogs

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
I thought I'd ask this here since there's quite a diversity of people on RS. Does anyone here use dogs to hunt with? I've never done it, with the exception of retrieving birds (doves/waterfowl). I currently have a GSP/Chocolate lab mix that is great and also is a super house dog. Recently, I picked up a Pudelpointer. Super dog. Does everything and breaths fire. Intense prey drive, very good on land and water. I'm going to start putting him to work on small game and deer out here this year. We'll also do birds when we can.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I have 2 new gsp's a 2 yo and one that is 8mos. I haven't trained them to hunt at all. They are house pets. I've taken my past gsp's out but only for grouse. I just don't have the time to train. Good luck, it is rewarding to see that training pay off and do what they were bred to :)

Ann

Rising Sun Member
It's been a while but I used to train up American Field Pointers (commonly referred to a "English Pointer") for upland game hunting. Mostly Pheasant and Grouse. So rewarding and I love watching a dog work a field. It is a serious dedication of time, but a well trained gun dog is the best!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Just a FYI, you can't use dogs to deer/elk game in Colorado. (or most big game)

I've never trained any hunting dogs myself but was around labs and spaniels growing up trained as bird dogs for water fowl and field birds. No single breed stood out to me. All came down to the training and individual personality. Working dogs can be really hard to also serve as a house pet. I always wanted to take my first Malamute hunting just to see what he would do but never did. He had such a soft mouth, strong swimmer, would retrieve anything I told hime to get and never flinched over loud noises. Would have been quit the sight to see him with a duck in his mouth.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I have taken my untrained golden on a few rabbit hunts. Nothing so far!

I would love to bird hunt with him. He loves running up birds whenever we go out running.

Yesterday he found me 4 deer and 2 raccoon carcases.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Thread about dogs with seven replies and not a single pup pic?!

arthog

Hard Core 4+
Zena doing her morning yoga before she starts her hunt.
1712016696175.jpeg

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
My GWP and my 80 In local mountains chasing grouse and the 100 in the sand hills for prairie chicken and SD for pheasant. Great trucks and great dog!

Attachments

• IMG_4753.jpeg
    IMG_4753.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5536.jpeg
    IMG_5536.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • BEF2BA82-E849-42D9-AC1E-34DA65788015.jpeg
    BEF2BA82-E849-42D9-AC1E-34DA65788015.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2041.jpeg
    IMG_2041.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I have a neighborhood friend that I have gone hunting with quite a bit. He has several highly trained (and expensive bloodlines) German ShortHair Pointers and they are amazing to hunt with. He does mostly upland bird hunting and I have gone grouse hunting, chucker hunting, and pheasant hunting with him. He trains his dogs but also sends them to some sort of higher-lever training in Nebraska for months at a time. These dogs are amazing to watch when they are hunting. With the GPS collars you can see where all three dogs are at any one time and can see when they go on point. We have also hunted with them on horseback...you can really cover a ton of ground with the dogs and horses. His dogs will run close to 30 miles on a full day hunt, so there is really no way to keep up with them walking...at least not easily. I'd be happy to put you in touch with my friend if you have any questions about his training or anything else dog-hunting related (at least for upland birds).

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Hunting on horseback would be pretty neat. I've got a trainer here that I got my dog from and he uses/has used every training and GPS collar out there. One handy feature is you can also use them as a geo fence by programing where you dog can and can't go and like you said you can tell how much ground they have covered at the end of the day. This pup is a good bird dog and blood tracker. He's a goofball, but amazing when he's working.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
His horses are soooo smooth. Smoothest horses I have ever ridden. They are Tennessee Walking Horses and have a really fast gait but super smooth. Can cover a ton of ground and not get bounced all over. They are also fairly short so not hard to jump on and off. Pretty fun experience!